Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
No reason not to stretch out your shooting even if you just shoot steel.

I would start with big steel plates so you will see exactly where each bullet impacts. Animal shaped steel is fun but it's slower to learn wind calls/elevation because it's not clear exactly where a miss went.

It would be pretty cool to have a nice large steel target at all your different locations just to practice different conditions with different rifles. Spray paint the steel when ever you add feed to the feeder.

Once you feel confident in your firing solutions it could be time to start whacking the pigs.

I didn't study your locations but being able to shoot on multiple feeders would be a good way to up the pig removal.

Everyone should have the LR tool in the tool box even if they choose not to use it. Looks like you could do some fun shooting with a bit of effort.

It's not like you don't have a rifle or 2 to test out at LR.

The best advice on the thread.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep-Good stuff!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by xphunter
For cleaning out Hog populations, I would go with the 6.5 PRC.
Light recoil and decent ballistics.
This is assuming the gun shoots well enough to kill at that distance (760 yards).
How does it group at 800 yards in good conditions?
If you are going to be shooting off of at that portable shooting rest in the picture, how good can you group with it at 700-800 yards in good conditions?
Factory ammo or reloading?
What bullet are you considering?
If it shoots well in your rifle, the 147 ELD-M would be a consideration

Originally Posted by CGPAUL
It would be easy to zero any of the named rifle/cartridges at the 760 mark. But, how good are you at calling conditions when hunting? That would be the deciding factor for me.

Ofcourse, no one would be forcing you to shoot if conditions weren`t right.

All of the above is to be determined.

Without getting too deep in the weeds, let’s just say the topography of the places I’ve hunted over the last sixty years does not lend itself to shots much past 200 yds. The shooting club to which I frequent, the range is limited to 300 yds. Consequently, the ability/capability to shoot well at distances over 200 yds. has not been the prime directive.

However, it’s good to have a goal and a plan to achieve that goal. This would be a new challenge.

You mention the 6.5 PRC. I have a Browning Max Long range chambered for that Cartridge.

I’ve only killed with it to 200 yds.

Here are pix from a range session where I shot it to 300 yds, with factory 143 Gr. ELD-X. At present I do not load match bullets.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Maybe a fluke, but its a start.

Anywho, In the coming weeks I plan to take several rifles to the range and shoot @ 300 to see which works. I'll be going back to my lease in a week or two and I'm going to scout out a couple other areas that are easier to get to/from than the Canopy.

Ya!

GWB

That browning will probably shoot a fair amount better groups at 300 yards if you play with the factory ammo seating depth. I'd personally want my groups tightened up a bit for 800 yard hunting. Seat deeper at 3 thou intervals until you find a better node. You should see a node typically every 6 thou with the hornadys. That's my recommendation

The last browning I that I played with the factory ammo seating depth went from 7" 500 yard groups down to 2.5" Factory hornady ammo generally has a good optimum charge weight but no way they can determine the seating depth node for different rifles. Looking at your groups your definately not in a great seating depth node
Good advice. The bolded part, however, should say that the nodes are typically about 0.006” wide, not that there is a node every 0.006”.

Thanks Jordan I'll edit that

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have been thinking of trying it too. My reason is because after multiple shoulder surgeries and knee surgeries and a bad back and double bypass I find it hard to get close like I used to. I recall crawling through sagebrush keeping an eye out for cactus and rattlesnakes to get within a 100 yards of antelope herds. One time crawling within the herd with them horseshoed around me. That was fun. The last time I did anything like that I crawled on my hands and knees and low crawled with my cheek in the dirt for a total of 500 yards to get within 25 yards of a herd of antelope. A wonderful time. Impossible for me now. I can still get within 300 yards usually and my daughter shot her antelope this past year at 90 yards after we spotted it from a mile away. In that case the antelope helped us with its curiosity bringing it closer. That was fun but I was hurting the whole time and was worried I would blow the stalk for her. So, I have given it some thought to make it easier on myself and work on improving my shooting skill. Believe me if I could still do it effectively, I would be crawling as close as possible and having the time of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I have been thinking of trying it too. My reason is because after multiple shoulder surgeries and knee surgeries and a bad back and double bypass I find it hard to get close like I used to. I recall crawling through sagebrush keeping an eye out for cactus and rattlesnakes to get within a 100 yards of antelope herds. One time crawling within the herd with them horseshoed around me. That was fun. The last time I did anything like that I crawled on my hands and knees and low crawled with my cheek in the dirt for a total of 500 yards to get within 25 yards of a herd of antelope. A wonderful time. Impossible for me now. I can still get within 300 yards usually and my daughter shot her antelope this past year at 90 yards after we spotted it from a mile away. In that case the antelope helped us with its curiosity bringing it closer. That was fun but I was hurting the whole time and was worried I would blow the stalk for her. So, I have given it some thought to make it easier on myself and work on improving my shooting skill. Believe me if I could still do it effectively, I would be crawling as close as possible and having the time of my life.

Again there are lots of good reasons to develope the skill of placing a bullet on target at longer distance. It just does not start right off with hunting shots and some choose to never shoot game at longer range.

Just the pursuit of the skill and knowledge is a worth while endeavor. It takes time, resources, and effort to do it right.

Taking game at distance, after putting in the effort to learn the craft, is even better, just like sneaking closer than most is fulfilling.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 04/20/24.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Again there are lots of good reasons to develope the skill of placing a bullet on target at longer distance. It just does not start right off with hunting shots and some choose to never shoot game at longer range.

Just the pursuit of the skill and knowledge is a worth while endeavor. It takes time, resources, and effort to do it right.

Taking game at distance, after putting in the effort to learn the craft, is even better, just like sneaking closer than most is fulfilling.

Yes, it would be nice to learn the skills to hit targets at long range. Have a friend in Kentucky who got into PRS after his military career. I think if it weren't for hunting and fishing he would do nothing else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

🎯🎯🎯

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

🎯🎯🎯

Guys,

First let me say thanks for the positive nature of all of your posts, your tips and advice.

Thanx!

Also, I like the perspective of the quote expressed above.

I went and shot a 6.5 prc, a 7 prc and a 300 prc last week @ 200 exclusively using factory ammo. I am embarrassed at how poorly I shot. One of the worst days at the range in recent memory. May re-consider my choice of rifles.

In the past I've developed loads using only "hunting" bullets. I have ordered two boxes of the 6.5mm 147 gr. ELD-M and will try those in the 6.5 PRC first.

Heading to my lease next week to perforate hoglets/coyotes and maybe a turkey. While there I plan to scout two areas that I can shoot past 200 yds. which will be easier to access than the canopy.

I can tell that this is a long term project.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good for you. You went out and shot 3 different rifles.
Appreciate your honesty.
All of us have bad days.
Enjoy the journey.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
R
RPN Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Depending on the speed you are getting, you may have problems with the 147 eld-m. The internet is awash with tales of blowups from them, which I thought bs until I had it happening with my 6.5 SAUM @2980 fps. While I was working up a load the rifle would shoot multiple 1/2" - 5/8" groups then it threw a wild round 3" away which I put down to me being tired, but the end of it for me was missing a deer @ 460m with the impact 2m below the animal. Immediately after that shot I dropped 3 into a .1mil rock at 550m, so I had to call it a projectile issue.

From a 260 or 6.5 Creedmore I haven't read of any issues - it seems to be around 3000FPS+ that the problems happen.

I gave up on them and am now using 143 grain Norma Bondstrike at a reduced bc (.630 vs .697) and so far I've shot deer between 20 and 683m, and been very impressed with them.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RPN
Depending on the speed you are getting, you may have problems with the 147 eld-m. The internet is awash with tales of blowups from them, which I thought bs until I had it happening with my 6.5 SAUM @2980 fps. While I was working up a load the rifle would shoot multiple 1/2" - 5/8" groups then it threw a wild round 3" away which I put down to me being tired, but the end of it for me was missing a deer @ 460m with the impact 2m below the animal. Immediately after that shot I dropped 3 into a .1mil rock at 550m, so I had to call it a projectile issue.

From a 260 or 6.5 Creedmore I haven't read of any issues - it seems to be around 3000FPS+ that the problems happen.

I gave up on them and am now using 143 grain Norma Bondstrike at a reduced bc (.630 vs .697) and so far I've shot deer between 20 and 683m, and been very impressed with them.

I don't know where you are seeing "awash" of "tales of blowups" from the 147 ELDM bullets? Maybe post a link? I do know that on occasions Hornady and other bullet manufactures have issues with some bullets. I've had one bad lot of 140gr ELD match bullets. Those did come apart in the air. I contacted Hornady with the lot number, and they sent me some new bullets. I've never heard of anyone having nothing but positive comments on the 147. It's my preferred longrange match bullet, as well as a bunch of buddies I shoot with. YMMV. I'd also think a guy that shoots a lot would know if his lot of bullets were bad, before taking them out on a hunt. I know I would for damn sure. I don't want to have to make an excuse for missing a critter though.

Anyone else here have any issues with the 147 ELD match bullet coming apart?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, but only one sample. .264 Winchester at around 3100. Low velocity node

Dead cow elk at 500 blowing through the off shoulder stopping in the hide. Bullet definitely came apart like a Berger

Friends have shot wild horses and elk with the same bullet with DRT results

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, while waiting for the Hornady 147 gr. ELD-M's to come in, I've loaded up 50 rounds of 6.5 PRC.

Virgin Nosler Brass, WLR Primers, 59 gr. Magpro (trickled +/-.1 gr.)., 142 gr. LRAB's.

Nosler #9 indicates COAL @ 2.955".

Max length that will reliably feed in the magazine is 2.965"

Loaded 25 @2.955" and 25 @ 2.965".

Give them a try and chrono, either at the lease later this week or at the range when I get back.

ya,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/22/24.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
RPN Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by RPN

I don't know where you are seeing "awash" of "tales of blowups" from the 147 ELDM bullets? Maybe post a link? I do know that on occasions Hornady and other bullet manufactures have issues with some bullets. I've had one bad lot of 140gr ELD match bullets. Those did come apart in the air. I contacted Hornady with the lot number, and they sent me some new bullets. I've never heard of anyone having nothing but positive comments on the 147. It's my preferred longrange match bullet, as well as a bunch of buddies I shoot with. YMMV. I'd also think a guy that shoots a lot would know if his lot of bullets were bad, before taking them out on a hunt. I know I would for damn sure. I don't want to have to make an excuse for missing a critter though.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/hornady-147-eldm-blowing-up.7013159/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precision-Rifles/147-ELDMs-Blowing-Up-Finally-caught-up-to-me-/10-9707/

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/t...-the-things-one-sees-at-a-match.3984873/

Of course, my issue is a data point of 1 (or 2), if you count both events so hardly statistically valid except for me, but 2 seconds on Google pulls up enough that I can accept there is a problem with the 147 grain eld-m.

You can believe there is an issue or not. I don't really mind what you do, but it is sufficiently known and talked about in addition to my experience that I have made the change away from that particular projectile, and I've shot thousands of Hornady bullets over the years at paper and animals. The barrel is Shilen 8 twist 6 groove, and at the time had 1100 rounds down it. It is a shame, as they were good killing bullets, have a fantastic bc and are cheap(ish)

Last edited by RPN; 04/22/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RPN
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by RPN

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/hornady-147-eldm-blowing-up.7013159/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precision-Rifles/147-ELDMs-Blowing-Up-Finally-caught-up-to-me-/10-9707/

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/t...-the-things-one-sees-at-a-match.3984873/

Of course, my issue is a data point of 1 (or 2), if you count both events so hardly statistically valid except for me, but 2 seconds on Google pulls up enough that I can accept there is a problem with the 147 grain eld-m.

You can believe there is an issue or not. I don't really mind what you do, but it is sufficiently known and talked about in addition to my experience that I have made the change away from that particular projectile, and I've shot thousands of Hornady bullets over the years at paper and animals. The barrel is Shilen 8 twist 6 groove, and at the time had 1100 rounds down it. It is a shame, as they were good killing bullets, have a fantastic bc and are cheap(ish)
Fair enough, but a flier isn’t the same as a bullet blowing up. Unless there is additional evidence to indicate otherwise, it sounds like you had some unrelated issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know of two different shooters who have had issues of bullets letting go in flight , neither of them were shooting Hornady bullets, one barrel eas a Shilen, not sure of the other . Both F/O rifles , and both rifles went sour in the middle of a match, not over time.
I know Speedy Gonzalez has talked about this before as well.
It is not uncommon for wind to drop a bullet right out of the target are at distance if their is random wind.
I watched several Very accomplished F/O shooters do exactly that last weekend. Hitting V's at 900 , then dropping a 3!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.