Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Winnie70
I have a Winchester 69A that was like new when I bought it many years ago. With a 4X scope on it will shoot 1/2” all day….same design as the Winchester 75 Getting hard to find on sites that are in great shape but are out there if you look around.
Those old Winchesters are super cool. And they generally will surprise ya how well they shoot.

Agree it’s not easy finding one in pristine condition. They so good, they get used and used a lot.

DF

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Winnie70
I have a Winchester 69A that was like new when I bought it many years ago. With a 4X scope on it will shoot 1/2” all day….same design as the Winchester 75 Getting hard to find on sites that are in great shape but are out there if you look around.
Those old Winchesters are super cool. And they generally will surprise ya how well they shoot.

Agree it’s not easy finding one in pristine condition. They so good, they get used and used a lot.

DF

I still have my childhood Winchester Model 72A — the same as the 69A except for a tubular magazine. It’s a great rifle. I shudder to think how many rounds I’ve put through it in the last 70 years or so. It’s very accurate. I don’t quite get 1/2” at 50 yards, but I think that has more to do with the shooter than the rifle.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by tomme boy
Most of the Savage varmint 22rf rifles will shoot just as good or better than most rifles mentioned. And at 1/2 the price

I looked at the Savage site. There are some options that are 1/2 the price. But if you want a wood stock, you aren't getting that for half the price. They are a bit cheaper on average though. I appreciate the suggestion.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Salvage rifles generally shoot pretty good.

And if one has no pride and if showing up at the range with one doesn’t bother you, you probably good to go.

Me, I’m too prideful. Guess I gotta work on that.

Haven’t gotten one, yet. I never say never.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Posted this in a separate thread but just to throw it out here.

Link to Savage Timber series

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Posted this in a separate thread but just to throw it out here.

Link to Savage Timber series

Those look interesting. Basically a worked over A22? Although, the OP was looking for a bolt action. I still agree with you about the MKII rifles. Very underrated and accurate rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Salvage rifles generally shoot pretty good.

And if one has no pride and if showing up at the range with one doesn’t bother you, you probably good to go.

Me, I’m too prideful. Guess I gotta work on that.

Haven’t gotten one, yet. I never say never.

DF

Well, some guys really get their feelings hurt, when they get their azzes beat with a cheap Savage too. So there's that..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When I say "accurate/precise", this is generally what I'm talking about. Had to shoot that group, before I got rid of it. That rifle always wore it's factory irons, but scoped it to see what it could really do.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I used to shoot factory benchrest with/against a retired Wall Street lawyer who shot a bone stock cheap Savage off a bipod. He did very well.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Never said they didn’t shoot.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Paul39
I used to shoot factory benchrest with/against a retired Wall Street lawyer who shot a bone stock cheap Savage off a bipod. He did very well.

Some will really surprise you. At least the ones I've been around have all done well. The trick is in finding one that is really smooth in operation. Or knowing how to at least smooth them up, if the bolts run gritty. My single shot is awesome, much like my Winchester 52, but my MKII was very rough. It took some work polishing stuff out, but right before I got rid of it, it was damn smooth.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a 457 (wood) and a Tikka (plastic). With my off the shelf, non specialty ammo, they both shoot the same (and its very good). Neither one is as good as my TC contender, but that isn't a bolt action like you specified. I ended up liking the CZ more and I gave the Tikka to my kid, who likes it more. And she is very good at grouse head shots with it...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Q_Sertorius
Perhaps you can help me find my new .22 LR? I have been using a BSA Martini action for years and years as my target rifle. I have been using a Marlin M39A Mountie as my squirrel rifle, but I am going to give that to my nephew for Christmas (I gave him my pre-64 Model 94 .30-30 for his birthday, so he will need a lever action .22 for practice and squirrels). I want to get a high-quality bolt action .22 LR. I am having a very hard time picking out the right one. Part of my issue is that I haven't ever had to ship for a .22. My dad gave me the Marlin when I was 5. My budget is $500-$600 for the rifle. I could be persuaded to go higher, but part of my problem has been getting acclimatized to current rifle prices. Some things seem to be about the same price they were 20 years ago. Other things are astronomically high. I recognize that the almighty dollar doesn't stretch as far as it once did, but I have been picking up very nice centerfire hunting rifles for less than the prices I see on many .22 LRs.

I am very partial to older rifles with nice wood and blued steel. I plan to mount a scope on it, so iron sights are not a necessity. I don't want a single shot. I want at least five round magazine capacity. I am looking for a hunting and plinking rifle. I'd prefer something that looks nice, but has some signs of honest use. I am right-handed.

Rifles I have been considering, in no particular order, include:

Browning T-Bolt - one of the old ones made in Belgium. I have several FN Commercial Mausers.
Sako 54 - I have a Sako .243 and I love it.
CZ 457 - are there other CZ models that are "better?" My older brother loves CZs, but I have never had a bolt-action CZ.

Are there any others that I should be adding to the mix? Are any of the three above particularly "better" in some way than the others? Thank you for any opinions or assistance you can offer.

Since your brother has CZ's and loves them, you should see if you can shoot some of his rifles. Ask him why he "loves" them. It might be more obvious after you shoot them though.

BSA MAGA
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Perhaps you can help me find my new .22 LR? I have been using a BSA Martini action for years and years as my target rifle. I have been using a Marlin M39A Mountie as my squirrel rifle, but I am going to give that to my nephew for Christmas (I gave him my pre-64 Model 94 .30-30 for his birthday, so he will need a lever action .22 for practice and squirrels). I want to get a high-quality bolt action .22 LR. I am having a very hard time picking out the right one. Part of my issue is that I haven't ever had to ship for a .22. My dad gave me the Marlin when I was 5. My budget is $500-$600 for the rifle. I could be persuaded to go higher, but part of my problem has been getting acclimatized to current rifle prices. Some things seem to be about the same price they were 20 years ago. Other things are astronomically high. I recognize that the almighty dollar doesn't stretch as far as it once did, but I have been picking up very nice centerfire hunting rifles for less than the prices I see on many .22 LRs.

I am very partial to older rifles with nice wood and blued steel. I plan to mount a scope on it, so iron sights are not a necessity. I don't want a single shot. I want at least five round magazine capacity. I am looking for a hunting and plinking rifle. I'd prefer something that looks nice, but has some signs of honest use. I am right-handed.

Browning T-Bolt - one of the old ones made in Belgium. I have several FN Commercial Mausers.
CZ 457 - are there other CZ models that are "better?" My older brother loves CZs, but I have never had a bolt-action CZ.

Are there any others that I should be adding to the mix? Are any of the three above particularly "better" in some way than the others? Thank you for any opinions or assistance you can offer.

Since your brother has CZ's and loves them, you should see if you can shoot some of his rifles. Ask him why he "loves" them. It might be more obvious after you shoot them though.

I shot my brother's 527. It's a nice little rifle. The question wasn't really, "are modern CZ's nice", but rather, "are there nicer/better rifles at the same or similar price point?" The array of responses in this thread have been really helpful. I have to wait a couple of months before I make another rifle purchase (or put in a ton of extra hours this month, but the weather outside is so nice), but barring a deal popping up on an old T-Bolt, I am going to check out the T1x Hunter and a CZ 457 at the LGS (they are dealers for both).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I shot my brother's 527. It's a nice little rifle. The question wasn't really, "are modern CZ's nice", but rather, "are there nicer/better rifles at the same or similar price point?" The array of responses in this thread have been really helpful. I have to wait a couple of months before I make another rifle purchase (or put in a ton of extra hours this month, but the weather outside is so nice), but barring a deal popping up on an old T-Bolt, I am going to check out the T1x Hunter and a CZ 457 at the LGS (they are dealers for both).

Nice. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. However, I bet the wood stocked Tikka is going to be a lot harder to find. I was at Scheels the other day, and they had a real nice CZ for $549. I only saw plastic stocked Tikka's, and plastic stocked Bergara's. All really nice rifles, that are known to shoot well. For an older CZ, I saw a 513, at a different store, for $350.00 as well.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That little Anschutz would be nice too, and it's in your price range.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have Remington, Winchester, Marlin and CZ rimfires. I hate to say it but I would go for a cz that you like.

Molon Labe
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 27 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,274
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.