Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Guys, I'm also shooting a 6.5 creedmoor! It's the best cartridge Winchester has ever designed.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If you are really only neck sizing, there is a better way.

The best shooters, even in the bench world (100/200, 600/1000 BR and in 600/1000 F-Class) Full length resize every time.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Trystan
I neck size! The brass fits the chamber a lot better and improves groups tremendously. I wouldn't expect you fellas to know this

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only people that shoot Hornady bullets for LR Benchrest work for Hornady......

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Trystan,
I hope you were just being incredibly sarcastic about neck sizing. I know you were about the Creed

Speedy should about be done with my LR benchrest specialty pistol in the next month.
https://sebrests-usa.com/joystick-rests/neo/
About the only thing that is going to stay the same is the Batman stock.
You can see a pic of Batman (6mm Long Dasher/105 Berger Hybrid) of it, if you scroll down to the 5th picture.
The third pic is my F-Open rifle (284 Winchester/180 Berger Hybrid).
Batman is getting a new action and a new chambering - 22GT/85.5 Berger.
The class (Light) I shoot this in has limits or barrel no longer than 15" and it cannot weigh more than 7.5 pounds.
This is only a once a year BR match.
https://www.moalongrangeshoot.com/

We shoot three 5-shot groups at 500 yards (Do the same thing at 750 and 1K), and then the two best agg's got to the shoot-off for one 5-shot group to determine placement for that distance.
6mm Long Dasher (105 Berger Hybrids) with my three 5-shot groups at 500 yards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A different year but my five shot shoot-off group at 1000 yards (Heavy Pistol), using 180 grain JLK's

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For you guys that are so worried about vertical dispersion with a 34 fps ES it's only an extra 6" If sighted in the middle that's 3" high or 3" low.
For serious Fclass shooting, Bergers ate the vast choice.
6" is larger the Vbull at 1,000, and where precision is concerned, that is too much.

Even with my TR rifle ( which we shoot at a 1MOA Vbull),I try to get my vertical dispersion as low as I can.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by xphunter
Trystan,
I hope you were just being incredibly sarcastic about neck sizing. I know you were about the Creed

Speedy should about be done with my LR benchrest specialty pistol in the next month.
https://sebrests-usa.com/joystick-rests/neo/
About the only thing that is going to stay the same is the Batman stock.
You can see a pic of Batman (6mm Long Dasher/105 Berger Hybrid) of it, if you scroll down to the 5th picture.
The third pic is my F-Open rifle (284 Winchester/180 Berger Hybrid).
Batman is getting a new action and a new chambering - 22GT/85.5 Berger.
The class (Light) I shoot this in has limits or barrel no longer than 15" and it cannot weigh more than 7.5 pounds.
This is only a once a year BR match.
https://www.moalongrangeshoot.com/

We shoot three 5-shot groups at 500 yards (Do the same thing at 750 and 1K), and then the two best agg's got to the shoot-off for one 5-shot group to determine placement for that distance.
6mm Long Dasher (105 Berger Hybrids) with my three 5-shot groups at 500 yards.

A different year but my five shot shoot-off group at 1000 yards (Heavy Pistol), using 180 grain JLK's

Nice, thanks for sharing! Ya, I definately don't neck size lol. I'm useing Redding bushing full length dies, bump the shoulder .002 and set neck tension with a mandrel die. I made my own Amp annealer that's working really well so annealing every time as well. It's been working well with my factory chambering. I'm not neck turning and with the factory CTR barrel and lapua brass don't think I'd see anything on paper if I did. When I sort the hornadys for length I've got a few 5" five shot groups but don't care for the constant math and it's easy to mix up which batch I'm shooting so thinking the bergers will be the better way to go. I've been thinking about a 284 shehane but probably go with a 6.5 PRC necked up to 7mm.

I don't think you can go wrong with having speedy put together a gun for you. At least you won't have to work on it when it shows up.

When I worked up a RL23 load for my rifle I new it wasn't an optimal powder in my rifle but alas I was a little low on powders and components at the time. I'll be working up a H4350 load in a few weeks when I'm finished working in california and also going to try some vitivouri 555. I'm not expecting a factory CTR Tikka to shoot like a true F class rifle but I'm having fun and learning a lot. I felt a few 5" groups was doing pretty well considering my horizontal was only three inches on a few of them and I was shooting with an mpod and bags for the rear.

I hope we'll get to shoot together sometime and best wishes

Last edited by Trystan; 04/22/24.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There are a number of really great gunsmiths out there.
I enjoy my chats with Speedy-He has a great personality, and the knowledge just oozes out. Seb and I first met Speedy years ago when the US hosted the F-Class Worlds at the NRA Whittington Center, outside of Raton. Speedy's first love is still all about 100/200 yards benchrest. He is not worried about having the smallest group of the match, but rather the best Agg.
If we lived closer together and weekends was not challenge for me, I am pretty much sure I would be dipping my toe into 100/200 BR matches.
The majority of his work is for F-Class shooters, and he shoots F-Open locally still some, and he will typically be at the F-Class Nationals and the SWN's.
Use what you have for F-Open and learn and have fun, and at the same time be saving your pennies for a true F-Open rig, if that becomes your passion.

My F-Open rig is a straight 284 Winchester.
I will never compete enough in F-Open to be able to take advantage of what the Shehane or 7mm PRC-W can provide over a 284 Winchester.

If I was starting now, and went full out, I would go with the PRC-W (7mmx6.5 PRC). I would run a laminated stock (Not sure which one I would go with) with the internal stock buffer system (RAD), Borden action, Brux or Bartlein or Krieger barrel, Flavio trigger or a Bix N Andy, March optic....

grinNEO-X front rest and a Bigfoot rear bag....that's the easy part for me.

If I was shooting Light Gun 600/100 Benchrest, I would go with a 6mm BRA and possibly a 300 WSM for Heavy Gun with 215 Berger's.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The thing with that video, Eric should have walked back down the line and asked them how many are shooting a rifle with an off the shelf factory barrel and chamber made in 1958? smile

Grandpa might have had a reason.

Apples answer to orange questions?

Anyway... I've got Bergers to move if you're a buyer. lol

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
If it ain`t broke...

I have no complaints with Hornady ELD match bullets, and they are priced right and still sold in boxes of 100.

Maybe i don't know what I'm missing by not going to the Bergers?? I also find Hornady ELD match bullets are less expensive than Sierra match kings as well. On the 6.5, I've made a switch to the 147 for competition because it does better in the wind, than the 140 does. To each their own.

I see the OP wants to edge out the competition at 1,000 yards. He may see an improvement by going to the Bergers in that respect. The only real way he's going to know is by buying a box, and testing on his own..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
1 member likes this: rcamuglia
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote10
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is....

😂😂😂 Lol, isn't that how it usually goes? If I don't try to break it how am I going to learn?

The rifle is a 24" Tikka CTR in a bravo chassis. My current load is 45.3 grains of reloader 23 with a 140 grain hornady eld-m useing the small primer lapua brass with CCI 450s. Velocity is 2750 fps with a 32 fps ES. I would have used H4350 but it was unavailable. I did round some up so planning to use it

First step is to switch to the 147 ELDM. It's much better at longer range than the 140.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I built a 6.5 Creedmoor when the reamer first came out. It's a stiller tac 30 aw with a 24" sender's 8 twist bartlein barrel.i came into a good load the first time out with it and have stuck with that load ever since. It's a 140g berger vld hunting over h4350 with cci 250s.

A friend told me I didn't need mag primers with the small case so I had him watch me chronograph 5 rounds. My extreme spread was 9 fps. He then said ok you can keep using those 250s. And it did it with Hornady brass.

A guy named Scott who worked fir stiller chambered it for me. I've shot more 1/4th moa groups with that gun than any other. I'm down to my last 500 of that lot of burgers though so I hope the newer ones are as good.

I have a lot of Hornady 123g amax amps that shoot almost as well from an 18" bhw 3 groove grendel AR I built. So tornadoes can shoot well too. That lot shot great and as luck would have it a local shop closed out 5000 of that lot when Hornady went eld. I still have a few thousand bit a few fire members talked me out of some when things were hard to get.

The same shop recently closed out a bunch more bullets and I picked up several berger 135g 6.5s that I'll be trying out in my new sig cross Creedmoor I recently bought. I hope they shoot because I stocked up.

Bb

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha suddenly we get to hear about all the imaginary bucks and bulls killed

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
If it ain`t broke...

I have no complaints with Hornady ELD match bullets, and they are priced right and still sold in boxes of 100.

Maybe i don't know what I'm missing by not going to the Bergers?? I also find Hornady ELD match bullets are less expensive than Sierra match kings as well. On the 6.5, I've made a switch to the 147 for competition because it does better in the wind, than the 140 does. To each their own.

I see the OP wants to edge out the competition at 1,000 yards. He may see an improvement by going to the Bergers in that respect. The only real way he's going to know is by buying a box, and testing on his own..

Amazing groups!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
If it ain`t broke...

Amazing groups!
Definitely great groups, but to my eye they look about double the size of what is written beside them. It would be interesting to see a caliper measuring them in the picture.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
…and 10 rounds to boot!

Incredible!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,499 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,987
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.