Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In Fiji, our travel companion came up missing her two credit cards. Extensive search of Apt, all our bags, etc. Walked a couple routes, checked with businesses, etc. Cancelled cards next morning. Two hours later our guided tour from day before called - found her cards in the vanwhen getting ready for that day.

Got back to LA yesterday, wife had message someone in Minnesota had used her card at target for $350. Cancelled it.

Would have been better had our phone carrier been competent and actually configured our phones to work overseas as they said they had, and we could have been notified in time for the charge not to have gone through. (Second attempt was shorted...). But we aren't out anything, except a week's wait for her new card.

Oh, my - how we have fugged ourselves with technology!

Last edited by las; 04/19/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I fixed my situation with that for good hopefully. I remedied with a few moves. We keep our bank app on our phone and instantly block and unblock the card for significant purchases. We got another credit card and lowered the limit to $1000 that we don’t block and unblock.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by las

A couple of times over the years I have had suspicious use of my credit card numbers. In every case, the card issuer immediately notified me and shut down the account. I've never lost a penny. I have a backup card for times like that so if my card gets shut down I still have one that works.

On the other hand, if you lose or have cash stolen, how's that work out for you?

Mathew 22: 37-39

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by las
In Fiji, our travel companion came up missing her two credit cards. Extensive search of Apt, all our bags, etc. Walked a couple routes, checked with businesses, etc. Cancelled cards next morning. Two hours later our guided tour from day before called - found her cards in the vanwhen getting ready for that day.

Got back to LA yesterday, wife had message someone in Minnesota had used her card at target for $350. Cancelled it.

Would have been better had our phone carrier been competent and actually configured our phones to work overseas as they said they had, and we could have been notified in time for the charge not to have gone through. (Second attempt was shorted...). But we aren't out anything, except a week's wait for her new card.

You obviously don't remember the days of traveler's checks.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
[quote=las] " ... On the other hand, if you lose or have cash stolen, how's that work out for you?

In that case, unless you immediately catch the man or woman who stole your cash, you are SOL. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My card numbers have been stolen several times even while I've still had the cards everytime. Have a RFID protective wallet.
This has cost some grief but no cash.
There are some industrious brazen folks at work everyday trying to get the number again.
I really dont like creating new passwords each time as the recipe gets longer each time,like 10 characters, one capital, one special along with a verify code thats good for ten minutes.
Now not even sure if its the bank contacting me.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I use cash for just about everything. Used 3 credit cards as a young adult to build my credit score. Not that I never use one, but it very rarely do I

Last edited by Tansun; 04/19/24.

"Know guns, no crime. No guns, know crime."
- Ralph Lauretano
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you ever enable imessage ? Text via wifi

L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by slumlord
Do you ever enable imessage ? Text via wifi

"A couple of times over the years I have had suspicious use of my credit card numbers. In every case, the card issuer immediately notified me and shut down the account."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They tried - The fuggin phonies were not working - as I said. Hit LA airport and the notification of suspicious use was on her phone. Only time we got internet wi-fi or otherwise- in Australia or Fiji, on computers or phone, (standard calling didn't work at all), or otherwise, was when we were in a place that provided it. Those charges were quite likely made during the 10 hour flight between Nadi and LA. No contact possible. At least, it was fresh enough that the second attempt to use her card was deniable. Even now, at home, my wife's phone isn't working right. Won't pull up Google maps, for example. Mine will. I don't know what they did, and suspect they don't know either. Thinking hard on new carrier!

Despite that $300+ charge going through, they ate it. My money is on those Minnesota Somali's.... Prejudicial on my part I know. smile

But as for me, I'm done. I'm not going outside US ever again, unless it's to drive thru Canada. Of course, I said that in NZ last year, but this time I mean it, dammit!

The gain isn't worth the pain to me. I can see more of interest of most everywhere on the boob tube than in person anyway.

My wife already has Belize, Antarctica, Greece, Portugal, and god knows what else on her radar. In the last year she has been to Mexico, Argentina, Brazil one each, and Lower 48, 6 or 7 times.

(I don't think I'm THAT hard to live with, being practically perfect in every way! smile )

I'm staying home with the dogs from now on when she goes haring off. (kennel fees for this trip were $1,000 - expensive way to get 2 or 3 lbs off the Dachshund!). I'm done with this travel BS.

And no, I'm not vacuuming while she is gone, but will brush Honey HalfLab daily. That's my plan, anyway!

Last edited by las; 04/20/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.