Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
A couple of days ago, I was disappointed to find that my heat pump was not cooling. A little checking determined the main circuit breaker for the unit had tripped. "No problem, I'll just reset it"- - - - -WRONG! As soon as I flipped the HVAC breaker to the "on" position, the 200 amp main breaker for the whole panel tripped! Bad juju!

Disconnecting the power supply to the condenser/compressor unit stopped the breaker tripping- - - -pretty obvious its a shorted out compressor. The unit is over 10 years old, and had been pretty much trouble free with only one previous major failure- - - -a speed control unit for the air handler blower that was replaced under warranty about 5 years ago. The contractor who installed the unit, and another one who did the warranty repair are both out of business, so I was faced with the unenviable task of finding a service tech on short notice, hopefully one who wouldn't give me the standard sales pitch "It's an old unit- - - -gotta replace the whole system"! I go to the manufacturer's website- - - -"find a dealer"- - - -three of them within about a 25 mile radius. Call the nearest one- - - -15 miles away- - - -get the usual pre-recorded voice mail "Your call is very important to us- - - -please leave a message!" 3 hours later, no call back!

Now,bear in mind- - -my wife is recovering from a stroke, and she's very sensitive to minor changes in temperature- - - -she can go from sweltering to freezing and back with a 5 degree shift in the temp of her bedroom. Got a small window air condirioning unit up and running for the first time in about 5 years - - - -thankfully, it still works! Temp stabilizes a little. Back to the phone. Dealer #2- - - -about 25 miles away- - - -a real person answers, asks some very intelligent questions, which I answer satisfactorily, including an educated guess that the compressor is shorted out. He agrees with my diagnosis! Takes down the model number and serial number of the unit- - - - -"I'll see if the warehouse has a compressor in stock and call you back"- - - - -30 minutes later- - - -"None in stock locally- - - -regional warehouse has one on the way to me- - - -it will be here tomorrow". Takes down my name, address, and phone number- - - -"I can be there tomorrow if the compressor arrives soon enough." Now this guy has just commited to purchase a VERY expensive part on the word of a potential customer's WAG about what's wrong. Somebody he's never met, nor done business with before! No mention of "Gotta make a service call for diagnosis- - - -etc." All this conversation happened yesterday. I get a call this morning- - - - -"Got the compressor- - - -be there in about an hour". I offer to meet him at the interstate and guide him in, as I live on a dead end gravel road 7 miles form the exit he needs to take. He acceptrs my offer. 3 hours after he and a helper arrive, the compressor is installed, the system is recharged, it's running right, and Mama is a happy camper! The business owner, and his assistant are both 60 years old or so, and worked their butts off to do a good, quick job. They got paid in CASH- - - -not plastic, ($2200.00 parts and labor) plus a healthy tip over the asking price. I'll be doing business with them again- - - -routine maintenance, etc. and any new system installation I might need in the future.

Oh, yeah- - - - -did I mention- - - - -Mr. Businessman and his very skilled helper are "African-American"- - - -or more accurately, just hard working real Americans who believe in doing an honest day's work- - - -the right way- - - -the first time- - - -for a fair price! It's hard to ask for more than that!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good contractors are out there.
Sounds like everything worked out

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1moredeer, 204guy, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,893
Posts18,497,991
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.