-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Over the years I have noticed a lot of folks here prefer a 4A reticle over a standard duplex reticle. Why?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Get into some low light and every bit of non clutter becomes more appreciated especially as you get into your 50s. At least that’s my perspective.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just try a 4 or 4a reticle and you will see for yourself For hunting I prefer just about any 4 a or 4a version over a duplex Love zeiss #60 especially illuminated

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Agreed, it's great in lowlight and in all conditions it naturally draws your eye to the crosshair.
For general hunting, my favorite reticle.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
The 4A reticle is my idea of a great hunting reticle. I have a heavy 4A in a Kahles Helia C and a 4A illuminated reticle in a Leica Visus, both 2.5-10x50 with 30 mm tubes. Suits me just fine.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The trijicon version is the best woods hunting reticle I’ve ever seen, by far.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Exactly, Low light reticle. All but 3 of my optics have this type of reticle.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I tried a 4A in the Swarovski 3-9x36 and really liked it. As others have said it seems to unclutter the view in the top half of the scope. I've since picked up a few more of the same scope and only bought the 4A models and passed up the duplex ones.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I tried a Burris with a 3P #4 illuminated reticle, and that began my drift away from duplex &/or holdover reticles. The dot was just the right size for the game & distances I hunt, and it worked in all light conditions. For my eyes, at this time in my life, this kind of reticle is as close to, "point 'n click" as it gets.

My most recent scope is a Meopta R2 1.7-10 with the 4C illuminated reticle. It's about everything I could want in a general hunting scope.

If I was into varmint or target shooting, I might choose differently, but I'm just a hunter.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The nice thing about the 4A reticle is that the top section doesn't block out so much of the animal your aiming at. With the other three bold sections, a bold top section is not all that necessary, anyway.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Top section of a duplex is completely useless to me. I noticed less fidgeting for that perfect shot placement when it was removed the equation. I have let several friends look through one of my #4 and to a man each felt it got them on target faster.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, gentlemen.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would take it a step further and vote for removing the bottom vertical post as well as the top one. Less obstruction there too would be an aid when doing holdover in low light. The two remaining horizontal beams would suffice to draw the eye into the center, no?

Where I don't like reticles other than simple thin crosshairs is when shooting paper targets at 50/100/200 yards. Since that encompasses 99% of my shooting anymore I seek out scopes with simple crosshairs, which is no easy task among scopes made today. There are indeed instances where the K.I.S.S. principle holds sway.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gnoaahh- I can understand that I suppose. Different application than hunting.

OP I also tried #1 post before but didn't like it much. Not having the... let's call it "artificial horizon" of the crossbar had me missing that leveling effect. In contrast, I never once missed the upper vertical part of a duplex.
On the plus side the #1 as thick and likely good for very low-light stuff closer in if I could have warmed to it. I put it on Dad's 30-30 where I think it was better suited.

Follically challenged- I have that same Burris. Love it for hogs in low light - for anything and everything. The center dot is a bit large for target work but it was a heck of a deal from Natchez. A friend and I compared it to my vx-3 swapping back and forth past dark and it was at least as good and bright....which sort of ruffled me.

Last edited by kenjs1; 04/22/24.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 4A is easily amongst THE schittiest of reticles going and slams windows of opportunity shut...even when Illuminated. Hint.

Just sayin'...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.