Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Hunt4it Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Looking for help in diagnosis. Rifle shoots randomly, will fire several and then not fire. Primer is dented, repeated attempts do not make it fire.
Wonder if the bolt is somehow being obstructed and would like to know how to disassemble and reassemble it.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm no expert but it sounds like your bolt might be gummed up. Do you have an early or later style bolt? Early bolts have a striker that hits two spots on the rim of the cartridge and later bolts are more conventional in only hitting one. Knowing the difference will help the guys on this forum who are much more knowledgeable on these guns than I.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Primer is dented"

You might try a different brand of ammo. Several years back I had some Remington Gold's that would fire...sometimes. I pulled the bullets on some and found priming only part there or none at all.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

H
Hunt4it Offline OP
OP Offline
H
This is an older model having 1 firing pin.
Did try 2 brands of ammo with same result.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Speaking in generalities, as I've never taken one of these bolts apart (if someone here doesn't pipe up I bet there's a YouTube video for doing it). Maybe try a third/fourth brand of ammo? Remember, the target ammo back when these were new was more often than not made with softer brass, and even copper, than what we have today-less resistant to firing pin strikes. (But in reality that's not exactly a legitimate issue.)

First thing I would investigate would be cleanliness. 90 years worth of dried oil/grease plus dirt could be binding things inside the bolt making it sluggish. If a good cleaning doesn't help, then the next thing I would look at is the shape and amount of protrusion of the firing pin tip. Not likely that wear could've effected it but you never know if someone may have mucked with it. Hopefully the mainspring isn't broken, again not likely but possible.

If you just can't get the bolt apart, at least flush it out with brake cleaner. Repeat as necessary until not much crud flushes out anymore. Then try firing it again. If you now get better ignition you at least know what the problem is and you then gotta get the thing apart to finish cleaning it out and then lightly oil it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you checked the head space? See if you can get a thin shim behind the bolt handle when you close the action, or put some pieces of tape on the rear of a spend case and see if the bolt will close. I have a number of these and have never had problems where I needed to take a bolt apart.

With a single firing pin you have a later version, 1923 or later.

Gene
H
Hunt4it Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Today tried Aquila, federal, cci, browning, Remington peters. Federal worked the best but still had some non-fires. My guess is head space is off but really should examine the bolt after disassembly first.

H
Hunt4it Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Serial number 36311

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Speaking in generalities, as I've never taken one of these bolts apart (if someone here doesn't pipe up I bet there's a YouTube video for doing it). Maybe try a third/fourth brand of ammo? Remember, the target ammo back when these were new was more often than not made with softer brass, and even copper, than what we have today-less resistant to firing pin strikes. (But in reality that's not exactly a legitimate issue.)

First thing I would investigate would be cleanliness. 90 years worth of dried oil/grease plus dirt could be binding things inside the bolt making it sluggish. If a good cleaning doesn't help, then the next thing I would look at is the shape and amount of protrusion of the firing pin tip. Not likely that wear could've effected it but you never know if someone may have mucked with it. Hopefully the mainspring isn't broken, again not likely but possible.

If you just can't get the bolt apart, at least flush it out with brake cleaner. Repeat as necessary until not much crud flushes out anymore. Then try firing it again. If you now get better ignition you at least know what the problem is and you then gotta get the thing apart to finish cleaning it out and then lightly oil it.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

H
Hunt4it Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Soaked the bolt in Ed’s red for 24 hours. Looking at firing pin it seems to be rather rounded like a dull lead pencil. The rounds which did fir seem to be a little bulging around the strike area. Tried a fired casing with layer of masking tape on it and the bolt did close so put 2 layers on it and it closed with some force required.
How would you correct the head space?
Still have not taken bolt apart, am a bit reluctant to tackle that if I don’t have to.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I forget the exact problem I was having, but saw a bolt on EBAY for $19. Got it and fixed the problem. I have a 1919, 1923, and 1933. I forget when Hi Velocity came out, but I only use CCI Standard Velocity in my NRA’s and 416 Armory. It’s the most accurate of over the counter ammo I’ve found, and found it on sale a few months ago for $35 a brick.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (444Matt, 35, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 6 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.