Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
M
Looked over three new 700’s at the range yesterday. The wood/composite fit to metal looked good. None were free floated barrels. The one thing that stood out was that each of the three had Matt black coating. One was a high end model but still a Matt black coated barrel and receiver. Have seen no SS models. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Think blued rifles are becoming a thing of the past..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They’ve never been free floated. It isn’t really matte. They just aren’t as shiny as they were in the 1970s.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
All the new BDL models are high polished blue. They lack the white line spacers of the original, very nice otherwise. My LGS has the 243, 270, 7mm, and the 300 in stock. Great to see them on the rack again, and if there anything like the new 870s, the Remington name will rise again 😀

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have three older 700's and everyone is free floated! Had them a long time so can't remember might have floated them myself.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MTGunner
Looked over three new 700’s at the range yesterday. The wood/composite fit to metal looked good. None were free floated barrels. The one thing that stood out was that each of the three had Matt black coating. One was a high end model but still a Matt black coated barrel and receiver. Have seen no SS models. MTG

I picked up a new 700 "SPSS" (sure likes an SPS to me) in .243 a few months ago. Plastic stock, etc. It is one HELL of a shooter. It shoots quite a few things fairly well but shoots cloverleafs .. bullets not "stacked" but certainly holes overlapping/connecting .. with 100 grain partitions and H4831. The most accuracy per $$ I've gotten in quite a few years.

Along the lines of matte vs polished, it's pretty dang hard to find a polished blue, or any silver, scope today. They're all matte. There's a lot practical about that for field uses but it's not "purty" like a shiny thing.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Remington M700’s were never factory ‘free-floated’

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I saw one at a local gun show and the thing that stood out to me is the 'checkering' on the bolt knob. Looks really cheap compared to the prior 700's.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I picked up a new 700 "SPSS" (sure likes an SPS to me) in .243 a few months ago. Plastic stock, etc. It is one HELL of a shooter. It shoots quite a few things fairly well but shoots cloverleafs .. bullets not "stacked" but certainly holes overlapping/connecting .. with 100 grain partitions and H4831. The most accuracy per $$ I've gotten in quite a few years.

Along the lines of matte vs polished, it's pretty dang hard to find a polished blue, or any silver, scope today. They're all matte. There's a lot practical about that for field uses but it's not "purty" like a shiny thing.

I have a couple friends who own three of the RemArms, all in 308. Two ADL/Matte/synthetic that are pre-5r barrels and a SPS SS with the 5r bbl. They all shoot well according to my friends and the 5r has shot all the bullets he’s tried exceptionally well.

The matte finish on the ADLs is a LOT better than the old Remington ADL synthetics. The metal to stock fit is even. And the bolts on all of them cycle smoother than any new M700 I’ve ever tried.

I wish RemArms would re-introduce the Mtn Rifle with the 5R bbl, rather than spend their capital on the Alpha……..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Picked up a new 700 L.R. 7 mm PRC Yesterday. Got it home and discovered 2 issues maybe 3 or
4 issues. First the bolt release sticks and even pulling it down doesn’t hold for long after working the bolt a few times. Second the rivet in the extractor is sitting proud and has a piece of brass stuck to it. 3rd during the function test the appears to have been a pimer leak as there is a circular residue around the firing pin hole. Im not sure wether it is cut as I do not want to rub it off. 4th it may have a primary extraction issue. Im not quite clear on how to figure that out. Its just doesn’t feel rigjt working the bolt.
I bought it from Scheels yesterday and called them today. I was asked to bring it in and will do that tomorrow or Monday.
On the positive the trigger is very crisp and I will guess it at 3-4lbs with no discernible creep. The barrel is free floated. I have not checked to see if it to the receiver yet.
If given the chance I will just get a refund.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a new RemArms 700 Long Range 300 Win Mag on sale for $767.00.The HS stocks retail for around $425.00,so I found it hard to pass on the deal.The Timney trigger is OK,it breaks crisp at around 3.5lbs,but I prefer around 2.5lb trigger.The barrel looked great on the inside with my borescope.I took it to the range and fired twelve rounds through it running a patch with Stabil CLP,followed by two dry patches after each round.It grouped good for test loads.This was the last nine of the first twelve rounds through the rifle with two different loads.I checked the barrel again when I got home and was surprised to find no copper streaks at all inside the barrel.I had read that 5R barrels seemed to copper fowl less,don't know,maybe they don't.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Nice pics.
How does your bolt lift feel?
Is your stock pretty rough on your face during recoil?
And what type of scope and mount did you use?
Can you look and see if they put a serial # on your bolt? None on mine

I had figured if it shot well I would send it to kampfield to get the bolt and barrel fluted. Kind of disappointed aboyt the hiccups. Had it just been the bolt stop issue, I would fix it myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Nice pics.
How does your bolt lift feel?
Is your stock pretty rough on your face during recoil?
And what type of scope and mount did you use?
Can you look and see if they put a serial # on your bolt? None on mine

I had figured if it shot well I would send it to kampfield to get the bolt and barrel fluted. Kind of disappointed aboyt the hiccups. Had it just been the bolt stop issue, I would fix it myself.

First off the bolt stop issue is an easy fix.It's just a matter of bending the bolt stop just a little so it puts a little more tension on the spring to make it work properly.See number 7 and figure 7 on the link
https://timneytriggers.com/content/productpdf/remington-700-HIT-installation-instructions.pdf

My bolt lift seems fine and it appears to be making equal contact on the rear of the bolt lugs.

Yes the stock is rough,but I didn't notice any issues with it hurting my face.In fact,it seemed to be a little more grippier during recoil than a smoother slick stock.I found it to be quite pleasant to shoot.The recoil level seemed very low for a 300 Win Mag.

I use the Leupold STD rings and mounts on mine.A lot of people claim to have issues with them,but I've never had any and I've used them for over 40yrs.I put a Nitrex TR2(Weaver Super Slam) 3x15x50mm scope on it.

No mine didn't have a serial # on the bolt either.I found that a little strange myself.

Also I did bed the recoil lug and tang.Even though it has the aluminum bedding block in the stock,after bedding it,it showed that the rear of the recoil lug was not making any contact before I bedded it.That's nothing new.I have found that to be quite common and an easy fix too.The rest of the bedding block supports the action great.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks
I know the bolt stop is a easy fix. The main issue is the rivet on the extractor. Its almost like it was riveted on theninside if the bolt. It supposed to be put in from the inside and rivet flattened on the exterior.
Funny that they went back to a riveted extractor.
Also the had a primer leak during the firing process.
I think I may take some pictures and start a new thread

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,542 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,327
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.