Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
The aftermath.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Again, they should have used their silly robot to soak it in diesel fuel. That actually desensitizes nitroglycerin - even if it’s crystallized. You can then simply just burn it. After soaking for several hours, they can actually be safely handled if done carefully. At least that’s what my EI DuPont Explosives Handbook and Explosives Engineering has to say about it. Better living through modern chemistry. But the google fu users know more than I do 🤷‍♂️

What I do know is this is the typical overreaction you always get from the government.

Yours in Liberty,

BL

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
A few years back, as the company mechanic, I was called to the scene of dump truck tipover, this is pretty common...driver gets the bed too high, trips the gate too late, uneven ground...not a big deal at all. I get there, all is calm except the driver, no fuel spilling yet, hydraulic oil vent cap is dripping a bit, I fashion a plug with a piece of hose and a hose clamp, lay out a catch pan and some plastic, pull the cap and install the temp plug. Lost about 1 quart of hyd oil which went into the catch pan. Under control, I start making phone calls to get the truck upright. In the meantime, some concerned motorist called 911. All hell broke loose with the arrival of the 'authorities'. Long story short, they threatened me with waiting it out in the back seat of a cop car, you don't argue with the authorities. I de escalated it and left the scene. Two months later, the company received a bill from CalTrans for 26,000+ dollars, with the details for disposing of 136 gallons of unknown petroleum products which had soaked the dirt, which Caltrans then picked up and shipped to Nevada as hazmat contamination. Apparently the experts breached the diesel and hydraulic tanks at some point, and created the hazmat spill themselves.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've been researching the subject, and apparently old dynamite sweats nitroglycerin. It was originally manufactured absorbed in something to make it stable short of a blasting cap explosion. Once sweated out, though, it become extremely dangerous to handle. Might not have been any other alternative.

Too dangerous to move, but apparently not too dangerous to burn in place. The blowing it up is what seems to be the issue.

Looks like moving it after soaking in diesel fuel is also a possibility.

Last edited by Strop10; 04/25/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Burn it in place? In the basement of the house? So, some of you bitch that they destroyed the house but suggest they do it in a way that would...yeah...destroy the house. Oh, and just maybe the fire would have set it off anyway.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
why would anyone call the freaking government for anything? For all of mankind's history, government has been the average man's most implacable and dangerous enemy.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, when you could just get a couple of the 'Fire's self-made experts over to douse your dynamite in diesel and light it up. What could go wrong?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Yeah, when you could just get a couple of the 'Fire's self-made experts over to douse your dynamite in diesel and light it up. What could go wrong?

stop being so obstinate lol Evidently there are ways of handing the stuff. Commercially sound, scientific and not just blow it up stupid. smile

Sam......

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Burn it in place? In the basement of the house? So, some of you bitch that they destroyed the house but suggest they do it in a way that would...yeah...destroy the house. Oh, and just maybe the fire would have set it off anyway.

A fire might set it off.

Setting it off definitely sets it off.

What does an explosion do that a fire(without an explosion) does do?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're right. Next time anybody finds some 60-year-old deteriorated dynamite inside a house, we'll call Ben Lurkin, Mannlicher, and Strop to handle it. I'm sure they'll all rush right over.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
You're right. Next time anybody finds some 60-year-old deteriorated dynamite inside a house, we'll call Ben Lurkin, Mannlicher, and Strop to handle it. I'm sure they'll all rush right over.

You could answer what happens with burning vs. detonating, but that wouldn't make your narrative look good.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rocky's just pissed they didn't tell him about it first so he could have posted about an upcoming "Launch" 🤣🤣

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At least it wasn't a whale.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna

that's funny

Sam......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
Around 20 years ago we sold my grandfather's house in town. The new owners found some dynamite in an out building somewhere. Grandpa was a well driller back in the 30-60s. New owner called in bomb squad. Not sure what ever happened to it but it wasn't taken care of on scene. Same grandpa had a big drum of black powder in a cardboard barrel in the basement. Lightning struck the house and started a small fire. Grandma found that the fire got in the wall and embers were landing on the lid of the barrel in the basement. That could of got sporty. She talked about all the time. RIP to the 2 of them.

i know of a gun store that wasent so luckily

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-gettysburg-times-gun-shop-explosion/13353467/

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

that's funny
They would likely step back and come up with a plan with the best outcome. Rather than an immediate- clear the neighborhood we're going to blow everything up. rocky is government to the core.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The dynamite was so deteriorated that trying to move it would have set it off.

'Fire experts have now managed to second-guess ship engineering, EV engineering, and have moved on to explosives disposal. We sure do have masterminds here.
Don't forget infectious diseases, Constitutional Law, international economics, foreign relations, and voting machine operation, maintenance, and vulnerabilities.

We are truly blessed to benefit from such a wide range of expertise.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Eric308
The dynamite was so deteriorated that trying to move it would have set it off.

'Fire experts have now managed to second-guess ship engineering, EV engineering, and have moved on to explosives disposal. We sure do have masterminds here.
Don't forget infectious diseases, Constitutional Law, international economics, foreign relations, and voting machine operation, maintenance, and vulnerabilities.

We are truly blessed to benefit from such a wide range of expertise.

73,000 members - amazing that with that many people in one room, we're all idiots who only know how to work at the Osco, pointing out multi-vitamins to the really smart people.

Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

They can't. They're all busy with the investigation of the Dali, and engineering the removal of the F.S. Key bridge from Baltimore Harbor.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
When I was growing up there was several sticks stored in an old shed in a horse pasture. It looked like it had drawn a lot of moisture over the years and was deteriorating pretty bad. The paper was busting open and the contents was coming out of it.

It think we ended up just spreading the contents out on the ground and forgetting about it. If I remember correctly it had the consistency of damp cornmeal.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Blowing it up was safest for them. I mean, it wasn’t their house. Why would you expect a government kocksucker to take one extra scintilla of risk in soaking that dynamite with diesel and rendering it safe?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 16penny, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.