Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes that was a great read that has been posted , i own the large book written about Townsend Whelen and yes he was a great man in his day. thanks posting ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Enjoyed the post to the max pappy thank you.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Originally Posted by EdM
Wayne writes extremely well. Guessing he has an engineering degree.

Actually, I am pretty sure he has a Ph.d in natural resources from Utah State University. He is one of my favorite writers. I only wish I saw his work more often. I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve read by him.

Tongue in cheek, from an engineer.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From an article interviewing Wayne:

“My doctorate in Forestry (or Wildlife Policy) focused on post-War changes in hunting motive and method, and their effects on wildlife management — a study that dovetails into my keen interest in history, and my writing focus on big game hunting, rifles and ballistics.”
He does. Unfortunately, the Natural Resources library at Utah State is missing many of the pages of his dissertation. Or at least it did 20yrs ago when I read through it there. He did some of his research regarding management and rifle selection on Deseret Land and Livestock ranch. I was fortunate to do my field research there as well. Pretty neat place.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by pointer

“My doctorate in Forestry (or Wildlife Policy) focused on post-War changes in hunting motive and method, and their effects on wildlife management — a study that dovetails into my keen interest in history, and my writing focus on big game hunting, rifles and ballistics.”
He does. Unfortunately, the Natural Resources library at Utah State is missing many of the pages of his dissertation. Or at least it did 20yrs ago when I read through it there. He did some of his research regarding management and rifle selection on Deseret Land and Livestock ranch. I was fortunate to do my field research there as well. Pretty neat place.

Interesting that pages are missing and says something about the subject. The joke among my fellow graduate students back in the day was that you could go to the library, put a 20 dollar bill in your dissertation, and go back 20 years later and it would still be there. 😃

Al

Spend your life wisely.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer

Interesting that pages are missing and says something about the subject. The joke among my fellow graduate students back in the day was that you could go to the library, put a 20 dollar bill in your dissertation, and go back 20 years later and it would still be there. 😃
I'd imagine that for most graduate studies that is very true!! I doubt anyone's cracked mine open, ever.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I was fortunate to meet Wayne at the deseret land and cattle co. I was there on a management bull elk hunt, Wayne was doing an article on favorite elk rifles, I remember reading the article, in one of the major pubs, some months later.
Wayne is a very nice gentlemen, what I would describe him as a man who never met a stranger and a wealth of information. I could have spent hours with him just soaking up gun savy. He was extremely well liked by everybody at deseret. He is strong proponent of fair chase principles , a true sportsman.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mohall57
I was fortunate to meet Wayne at the deseret land and cattle co. I was there on a management bull elk hunt, Wayne was doing an article on favorite elk rifles, I remember reading the article, in one of the major pubs, some months later.
Wayne is a very nice gentlemen, what I would describe him as a man who never met a stranger and a wealth of information. I could have spent hours with him just soaking up gun savy. He was extremely well liked by everybody at deseret. He is strong proponent of fair chase principles , a true sportsman.
A lot of that data on rifle cartridges for elk, that he gathered at DL&L is in his dissertation. IIRC, he included a whole bunch of it in a write up on Bugle. He's posted here a few times, but I doubt he even reads here any more.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've read Wayne's "Mastering Mule Deer" book he wrote for the North American Hunting Club I purchased for $2 used at a 2nd hand store. A thorough, well written text. His article on Whelen was artfully written. Without mentioning Petrov directly, he covered the issue of 400 Whelen headspace issues and incorrectly made sizing dies in a sentence or two. He is certainly well informed. A very enjoyable read, indeed.
Mark & Belle

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (21, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 27 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,492,998
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.