Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Missed us by a couple of miles. We had zero damage and the only evidence that any storm has passed through was that the canvas cover of the grill on the deck got picked up and and dropped in the yard. We definitely dodged a bullet by The Grace of GOD.

One of my wife's friends had some roof damage and her kids' trampoline was sucked up out of their yard near 192nd and West Maple and dropped around 4 miles away near168th and State.

Eppley Airfield on the Missouri River, about 17 miles east of Elkhorn, had a different tornado wrecked 4 hangers and damaged 32 private planes, including some jets and a Yak fighter Lucky that the tornado didn't come through next weekend when the Berkshire-Hathaway annual meeting is scheduled and there are dozen of out of town aircraft parked there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My cousin lives about a mile south of the Ford dealership in Blair. I texted him yesterday checking to see if he and other family members were O.K. (we have a bunch of them in that area of Nebraska). He said all was well with everybody but he had friends that got hit pretty hard about 3 miles south of his place and he was going down there to see how he could help. Could be the same folks you know???

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Hey Otter,

Really glad to hear that your folks got by okay! Sounds like the south tip of Blair did get hit.

Very well could be the same folks or their neighbors. Our friends live on an acreage that was 40 acres but has been subdivided into 3 acreages. All 3 of the houses were pretty well totaled. They were each a $500K to $1M+ homes. There are a lot of houses that have been built in between Omaha and Blair - and none of them are cheap!

The Weather Service is saying that the Elkhorn tornado was an F3. That may be, but of the 8-10 tornadoes I have seen, it was bigger than all the others combined. It was a half mile wide. I couldn’t make myself believe that I was looking at a tornado…but…there was no other explanation. It was just a HUGE black cloud moving, on the ground, through the city. Watching the electrical transformers exploding was bizarre.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was sitting on the front porch of my aunt and uncles farm outside Rising and watched this from formation to finish, damn cool. One of the most famous in Nebraska.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Central_Nebraska_tornado

The tornado touched down near Hastings and traveled 70 miles (110 km) as it passed through or near Harvard, Giltner, Hampton, Bradshaw, Benedict, Strongsburg, Shelby, and Rising City before it finally lifted near Bellwood. The United States Weather Bureau documented that every structure in the path of the tornado was completely destroyed.[1] A farm three miles (4.8 km) northwest of Bradshaw was obliterated at F5 intensity, and two people were killed.[3] Fifteen people were injured in Shelby, which was barely spared from a direct strike.[3]

Swifty
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Otter,
The news is reporting that there were 250 homes destroyed in Washington County, most were in rural areas. Apparently tornadoes have changed their target of choice from trailer parks to rural subdivisions.

This is going to make homeowners insurance skyrocket around here. We are already paying $400 a month and that is with a $5,000 all perils deductible.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Otter,
The news is reporting that there were 250 homes destroyed in Washington County, most were in rural areas. Apparently tornadoes have changed their target of choice from trailer parks to rural subdivisions.

This is going to make homeowners insurance skyrocket around here. We are already paying $400 a month and that is with a $5,000 all perils deductible.

Jeebus man you aint lived in nebraska long, yall got fugging lucky. Targets of choice ? LMAO

https://www.weather.gov/gid/1980GrandIslandTornadoes

The tornadoes in Grand Island, Nebraska killed five, injured 200, and caused an estimated more than $285 million (USD) ($1.02 billion 2022 USD) in damage.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heres another for ya, the aksarben tornado.

https://www.weather.gov/oax/may675

Damage estimates ranged from $250 million to $500 million. The number of homes destroyed was 287 with damage to 1400 others. The time of day aided in the warning process as a spotter saw the tornado in Sarpy County during the daylight hours and children were no longer in school. The NWS aided by REACT and Civil Defense systems provided good lead time for the residents of Douglas County. Three people did perish. An elderly woman died in her home and likely did not hear the warnings. A waitress was killed in a restaurant as she huddled with others in the restroom. A man was killed while seeking shelter at a gas station.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I'd fire that train conductor.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 163bc, 52 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,869
Posts18,497,508
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.