Hop To
#19442987 05/09/24
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Any of you guys keep a C&R license? I’m thinking about applying to simplify buying old guns online, figured the $10 a year it comes out to would be worth it since my guy for transfers charges $30 and he’s the cheapest I’ve ever met. I know I’ll have to keep a bound book, I’m familiar with entering stuff beings I worked in a busy shop for a while. Any pitfalls or problems I’m overlooking? Not looking to run a business or anything but further my collection of classic S&Ws and Colts with the odd shotgun here and there.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I did for a short while.

Was worth the cost on the one Ithaca 37 in 16 ga I bought while I had it.

At the time I got a few good deals at Brownells too fwiw.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had a C&R many years. There are no downsides really. The high-end collectors pushed to keep the location of their collections private and that is why the C&R won't verify via EZ check; the ATF specifically states that that is no reason not to accept it but some vendors refuse anyway. It can be verified by a call to the BATFE Licensing Division. Firearms made 1974 and earlier are Default C&R right now. That covers a lot Rem 700's, Win 70', Colt AR-15's and more. Thompson sub-machineguns are C&R; you have to get the Federal stamp but don't have to mess with a transfer dealer! You can not Ship a C&R handgun via USPS but can receive them; the BATFE language requires an FFL dealer for shipping handguns.

Last edited by sbrmike; 05/09/24. Reason: spelling

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
It’s easily worth it

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’ve had a C&R for 25+ years, I’ve used it several times, zero problems. Mine has renewed automatically every 3 years.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve had one for 18 years. It covers about 95 percent of what I’m interested in. There is no downside that I have seen.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Best $30 I ever spent. Little if any downside. Since the guns that interest me fall 100% within the purview of the license it was a no-brainer.

The only glitches have been associated with out of state dealers who for reasons best known to them (or out of ignorance or laziness) who wouldn't honor a C&R license, but they've been few. One unique example of that was last fall when I stumbled onto a cherry Colt Army Special .32-20 made in 1922, in a large Pennsylvania gun shop as I was passing through. The clerk was an idiot and didn't understand the ramifications of a C&R, and the business manager was ignorant also and insisted that even with the C&R she had to ship the gun to a Maryland FFL-01 holder for ultimate transfer to me, that I couldn't just take it with me, and even insisted on my filling out a 4473 form. When I balked and made ready to walk out on the deal, the owner got involved and he at least had the good sense to read the rules. In the end I left with the gun in hand. Moral of the story: as common as C&R's are, not every commercial entity understands them.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
you CAN ship a handgun USPS.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay, I give up!
Educate me, what is a C&R license?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Curio and Relic

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by cisco1
you CAN ship a handgun USPS.

Check the language. A C&R FFL is not an FFL Dealer. USPS Regs require an FFL Dealer to ship a handgun. There is no provision for a C&R FFL holder.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Mine expired due to an oversight on my part, not some nefarious plot by ATF. I'm considering jumping through all the hoops to renew it, but it's low on the priority list right now. Maybe after the Waffen ATF gets its wings clipped by the new Trump administration.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I didn't know what c and r ment either

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
A firearm that Is 50 years or older is considered a Curio and relic..there are certain perks given to holders of a C & R license.

One of them being the firearm can be shipped directly to you, of if you are in a store you can bypass waiting periods

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Lots of LGS don't honor the waiting period bypass, and they usually require a 4473 even when purchasing a C&R eligible firearm. It's sort of a CYA move on their part since ATF is waiting to pounce like a red tailed hawk watching a mouse. Can't say that I blame them for being cautious, even if it is a PITA sometimes. One of the oldest, best gun shops in Nashville got run out of business by ATF's shenanigans. They took advantage of the shop owner's cancer problems to drop the hammer on her for some paperwork errors her employees made while she was undergoing chemotherapy.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
sbrmike,

I ship handguns on my C&R FFL. The PO requires another form to fill out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A great deal and a plus is if you register with Graf and sons they’ll give you a dealer account. Brownells does as well but it’s not as clear cut as Grafs.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I printed off my forms last night and have them all filled out. I’ll drop the CLEO copy off with my local Chief of Police Monday and get the ATF copy mailed. Sounds like a good deal for me, much like Gnoahh stated I rarely buy anything that won’t qualify so it should be worthwhile just to save transfer fees. Thanks guys

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by cisco1
sbrmike,

I ship handguns on my C&R FFL. The PO requires another form to fill out.

You are just lucky. Your clerk thinks your FFL is a Dealer. Here is the Postal Reg:

432.2 Handguns
Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in this section, after the filing of an affidavit or statement described in 432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following:

Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3.
Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2, which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing between governmental museums without regard to the restrictions provided for handguns in 432.21 through 432.24 and Exhibit 432.25.
Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1 and are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable, but must include Adult Signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.
Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district

ETA 431.3 Says words to the effect that it cannot shoot modern ammunition and must be manufactured before 1898.

Last edited by sbrmike; 05/10/24.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
That's clear as mud.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

196 members (300_savage, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 27 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,047
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.