Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Strop10 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Hastings
LE can legally violate traffic law in the performance of their duties but just like the fire truck is legally liable for blowing through a stop sign and hitting a car legally entering the intersection this agent is legally liable for running over someone legally entering the intersection in question.

Sounds to me more like a civil case for damages instead of criminal.

And it illustrates the stupidity of bicycle riding on roads used by motor vehicles. Take a watch on youtube of Dr. McGuff's 12 black swans to avoid.

It started as a criminal case in the state of Oregon, but the feds want to use their near total immunity to excuse it.

Bicycles, pedestrians, et al were using roads prior to the creation of motor vehicles.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Strop10
Bicycles, pedestrians, et al were using roads prior to the creation of motor vehicles.
Go ahead and get out there with nothing between you and tons of fast moving steel with nothing between you and motor vehicles but your spandex. It's legal, but not smart. There are all sorts of sleepy, impaired, and distracted drivers out there.

The roads we have now that are the subject here are those built for motor vehicles.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
The agent had fallen behind several other DEA vehicles on surveillance pursuit and instead of calling for location updates etc., he initiated a high-speed, no alarms-no lights chase to catch up. By his own admission he went through red lights and stop signs without slowing or stopping, and finally hit a 53-year old woman riding her bike home from work. She had nothing to do with the drug case - just an innocent bystander of sorts. Pretty tragic from any perspective and definitely not humorous.

Should be up on vehic manslaughter charges. 100%

Strop still sucks monkey balls

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Seafire
Addendum:

Just read the article.... this happened up in Salem here in Oregon. I Doubled down on what I've posted above.

If I am wrong, the world has my apology. But none of you guys know if she was an innocent woman or not.

Wait, What?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
S
Strop10 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Go ahead and get out there with nothing between you and tons of fast moving steel with nothing between you and motor vehicles but your spandex. It's legal, but not smart. There are all sorts of sleepy, impaired, and distracted drivers out there.

The roads we have now that are the subject here are those built for motor vehicles.

So visiting the neighbor directly across the street here must involve hopping in the car and driving there to reduce the odds another cop will doddle along and kill someone they plow in to?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Gb6eMEJCx9KWXpxZ8

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So visiting the neighbor directly across the street here must involve hopping in the car and driving there to reduce the odds another cop will doddle along and kill someone they plow in to?

Your example of dashing across a street or road isn't quite the same as using the streets and highways by the likes of slow moving bicycles, foot travel, or horses. But I was just pointing out that you are out there exposed to tons of fast moving steel, some of which is being piloted by unskilled or impaired drivers.

Personally I won't buy a vehicle unless it's rear wheel drive or 4WD with a stiff frame under it. I do at times walk across the highway in front of my house but that ain't the same as traveling for miles.

Take a look at Dr. McGuff's youtube video on the 12 black swans to avoid. He is an emergency room doctor with lots of experience in trying to patch up folks that make bad decisions.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
S
Strop10 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Your example of dashing across a street or road isn't quite the same as using the streets and highways by the likes of slow moving bicycles, foot travel, or horses. But I was just pointing out that you are out there exposed to tons of fast moving steel, some of which is being piloted by unskilled or impaired drivers.

Personally I won't buy a vehicle unless it's rear wheel drive or 4WD with a stiff frame under it. I do at times walk across the highway in front of my house but that ain't the same as traveling for miles.

Take a look at Dr. McGuff's youtube video on the 12 black swans to avoid. He is an emergency room doctor with lots of experience in trying to patch up folks that make bad decisions.

Everything has risks.

Going off the extended exposure time being too much risk, none of the people living along those streets should ever work on or enjoy their yards in anyway because the DEA agent might do his thing and their death could result.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Originally Posted by earlybrd
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

So why do you support the dea agent negligently killing someone and suffering no consequences?

If they were a drug addict, I personally would have ZERO issues with that, whatsoever.

They'll just end up killing them selves with an overdose, and may end up taking someone with them.

If they want to risk death, to just get high? Let them knock themselves out.

Addendum:

Just read the article.... this happened up in Salem here in Oregon. I Doubled down on what I've posted above.

If she was high and got hit, ashes to ashes... dust to dust. At 53 she should know better. But they favor drug addicts in Oregon courts over people who aren't drug addicts. If I was riding a bike and I'm not a drug user, but I got hit by a drug addict who was high, I'd bet 10 to 1 He'd WALK, and they would consider it as my TuffSchidtt.

quoting for posterity...

earlybrd & Seafire are dancing on the grave of an innocent woman.

what ever.. If I was wrong then so I was wrong.. from what I read that is how I saw it. I have no patience with the tolerance for drug use in this state.

You guys complaining on my response don't live in this state, but I do. So I see this in a bigger picture than you do, if nothing else but experience.

If I am wrong, the world has my apology. But none of you guys know if she was an innocent woman or not.

This retard's vote counts the same as mine...

That's right it does. And I'm not criticizing yours because your perspective is different than mine....

She's deceased? What are they going to waste their time to charge her with, even if she was the master mind of the Great TRain Robbery?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
It is bizarre that he may not face charges. I say lock him up.

I don't say lock him up, but I would support him facing involuntary , man slaughter...

And pics of this woman at her desk, looking like grandma doesn't prove a damn thing in this state. in my opinion.

There is an entire culture of these big riders that blow right thru stop signs all over the state, never stopping...

So IF she did stop, did she look both ways like we were taught in grade school, whether walking or riding a bike?

If there is witnesses to that, then so be it. But I see more people who never stop at stop signs on a bike.
I was a Cycling Merit Badge Counselor for Boy Scouts. I made damn sure each kid who got the merit badge KNEW that... or he didn't get the merit badge. Just because you see adults ignore common sense, doesn't mean you can.

Simple physics. You are 200 lbs, the bike weighs 50 pounds. The other vehicle is a car that weighs 4000 pounds and can move at a much higher rate of speed? What type of idiot is not going to yield to a car, whether they are right or wrong?

They put their own life on the line every time they blow thru a stop sign. Even in Hootervillle here, I've followed adults on bicycles here, that go thru town on a main drag, and never even slow down at any of them and blow thru a dozen or more?

Is their stupidity, society's fault or their own. Wake up and get real people.

If she did stop, and the cop hit her, then her loss is a tragedy. If she contributed to the problem, its not an instance society failed.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Okay, skip a DEA agent. I see 80 and 90 year old people go thru town, that I am following that never stop at one stop sign either. Probably too blind to see it....

If it wasn't a DEA agent, but a blind 90 year old Grandma, wouldn't you feel a whole hell of a lot better about all of this?

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

So why do you support the dea agent negligently killing someone and suffering no consequences?

If they were a drug addict, I personally would have ZERO issues with that, whatsoever.

They'll just end up killing them selves with an overdose, and may end up taking someone with them.

Addendum:

If she was high and got hit, ashes to ashes... dust to dust. At 53 she should know better. But they favor drug addicts in Oregon courts over people who aren't drug addicts. If I was riding a bike and I'm not a drug user, but I got hit by a drug addict who was high, I'd bet 10 to 1 He'd WALK, and they would consider it as my TuffSchidtt.

quoting for posterity...

what ever.. If I was wrong then so I was wrong.. from what I read that is how I saw it. I have no patience with the tolerance for drug use in this state.

You guys complaining on my response don't live in this state, but I do. So I see this in a bigger picture than you do, if nothing else but experience.

That's right it does. And I'm not criticizing yours because your perspective is different than mine....

She's deceased? What are they going to waste their time to charge her with, even if she was the master mind of the Great TRain Robbery?

Your perspective is retarded and you apparently can’t read. She was some poor woman who happened to be bicycling in her own neighborhood when this retard DEA agent ran a stop sign and killed her.

We should probably alert her family so that they can file a suit against you for defamation.

2 members like this: Strop10, AKwolverine
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LE can legally violate traffic law in the performance of their duties but just like the fire truck is legally liable for blowing through a stop sign and hitting a car legally entering the intersection this agent is legally liable for running over someone legally entering the intersection in question.

And it illustrates the stupidity of bicycle riding on roads used by motor vehicles. Take a watch on youtube of Dr. McGuff's 12 black swans to avoid.

It started as a criminal case in the state of Oregon, but the feds want to use their near total immunity to excuse it.

Yeah, but using common sense goes a lot way, in you not getting hitting by a moving vehicle, whether it was in the right or in the wrong... its not societies fault, for people's stupidity or assumptions.

Its common enough here that cyclists, just blow right thru stop signs. If I am at a stop sign, anywhere in the state, If I see a cyclist approach the intersection I don't assume they are going to stop at all. More often, I am right instead of wrong. I wait until they have cleared the intersection. Even if I got there first and have right of way, I wave them on thru any way.

Over the years, I've never hit someone on a bike at an intersection, but I've been hit by several cyclists who ran a stop sign, at a high rate of speed.. and then they jump up and start yelling at me..... I've had this conversation a lot more than once with some of these idiotic clowns.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Points to council on this one.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Yeah, but using common sense goes a lot way, in you not getting hitting by a moving vehicle, whether it was in the right or in the wrong... its not societies fault, for people's stupidity or assumptions.

There was a stop sign there. Are you really going to triple-down on this?

S
Strop10 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Addendum:

quoting for posterity...

She was 100% the victim of a crime. The system is trying to help the perp dea agent escape being held responsible for her death.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
"Here lies the body of Solomon Gray- - - -
Who died while defending his right of way- - - -
He was right, dead right, as he sped along- - - -
But now he's as dead as if he were wrong!"

60-something years of riding motorcycles has taught me that even though I can keep up with traffic (and outrun most of it) that I'd better ride as if everybody else on the road is out to kill me anytime I'm on the road. Being ignorant of one's surroundings on a bicycle is sort of like having a death wish, isn't it? That doesn't excuse some jackbooted thug with "immunity" for committing manslaughter, but getting out in public with minimal protection from a crash demands a certain amount of "defensive driving"- - - - -or riding, as the case may be.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 907brass, 19 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,677
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.