Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
One time I almost got in trouble. I had that Monte Carlo out at P-ville on Friday night. Saturday I took “Henry The Ford”, a ‘71 Galaxy to the dance in Schellsburg.
Henry was a beater, my first car. A 351 Wiindsor with the soul of a race car! He was known for jumping THOUGH covered bridges and hubcap tossing donuts.😎 he was a legend among my friends, and to this day if you mention Henry, they’ll start laughing and recalling some of the stunts.
That Monte was my Baby, and I beat the slop outta Henry!😀
One of the firemen got me for a phone call!😳
It was Dad. “Where’s your car?” It’s out in the parking lot. What’s wrong?
“How bad is it?” It’s fine, what’s going on?
“Somebody called here and said you wrecked that Monte Carlo!” Dad it’s in the driveway, I’m running Henry tonight.
I never did find out who the hell set me up! Somebody had seen me with it Friday, and decided to make trouble. Dad never took a name, and called the dance to see if I needed it hauled home.
But nothing was ever said about it afterwards. Probably somebody who was jealous. That was a beautiful car.

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 05/11/24.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slept in cars a good bit as a young guy.
Or across the pickup seat.
Still nap while Waiting On a Woman.😉

Do years sleeping in a truck count?
My wife and I often talk about a sleeper being the best sleep we ever had.

The rumble of 855 cubic inches in 6 cylinders pumping our 460hp, the whine of
18 tires, even better if they are spraying water off them. Bunk vents open, letting in cool air, while the heater is keeping you warm under the covers. Occasional mist or snowflakes hitting your cheek. Just gently rocking and rolling down the road.

(That picture wasn't of the northeast. I've been thrown above the mattress, the met the truck coming back up. My hip literally compressing the mattress and hitting the aluminum under the mattress. Sleeping in those roads is the worst)

We always say that if we hit the lottery, we will buy a studio sleeper Pete just to sleep
in.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leon,
If you were jumping through covered bridges I'd bet you never ran across
Valley Road!

My first car was a 67 Impala, and was older than me.
It would compress enough to drag the frame on some of those dips.
And might have flown a few times off the hills.

I didn't get any cherries though.
Those dips were gouged to hell from frames.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dang it Karl, you know it’s spelled with a R!😀
We were out there at the old country home, drinking beer and BSing I was driving Henry, and 2 of my buddies in their cars decided to race back to Bedford.
They took off, me and Danny and his girlfriend got in Henry.
“Do you want I should catch them?” They said yeah, and I opened that 351 two barrel up! There was a bridge in a dip out that road back then. I knew I would bottom out at that speed, and drove accordingly. Henry did, and the sparks flew!😀
I jumped off the gas going in , and once I had it back where it was under us, I said “Do you still want i should catch them?” “Slow the fugg down! You’re freaking crazy!”
I had been driving Henry for years. Me and him knew eachother! I knew how hard to throw him, how he would react. Never, as hard as I beat him, did i ever lose it. Never put a mark on it!
We finally put him in the yard, and Dad sold the transmission.
I still feel regretful. Henry was a fighter! I should have put him in the demolition derby. He should la went down swinging for the bleachers!😀
Come winter, I got a maverick running, switched the plates and insurance.
Me and Gue went to the dollar store, bought a can of dark blue, and a can of burgundy, and some masking tape!
We put blue and burgundy ZZ Top stripes on it! I was out 5 bucks!😎
Back at that time you could get away with being a kid.
There two vehicles that I really loved having, as much as l like my pickups and stuff, Henry and that Monte Carlo had character! I can’t tell you how much I miss them cars, and my youth!😀

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've napped on Howitzer ammunition.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The Everly Brothers from Shannondoah, Iowa. Live early morning radio.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
But seriously, what’s the longest you’ve ever slept in an automobile?😀

In the words of Lionel Richie: 🎶All night long…..🎶

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sorry Reon,
If you don't force it spell check changes it.

I forgot.

You just kindled a memory of being in the backseat when a guy decided to
"Try and make the light" southbound on 96 in Schellsburg.

I'm pretty sure we never touched 30 on the way across.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/11/24.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I figured that’s what happened! Love that speel chacker hickey!
And I can’t spell good enough for it to help me most of the time!😀
I can see somebody clearing 30 at that light too. Pretty good hump there!
I spent most every Saturday at the dance, and when it left out, I headed to P-ville!
Even when I started going with Carol, she went home after the dance, and I went to the Summer Nationals!😀 I raced out there the night before we got married in 1985!
With that rise going into this Colvin Covered Bridge, I crossed that creek quite a few times without even touching a plank!😎
Keep it straight somebody would yell. “Chit! Yo you can’t keep her straight if you’re completely airborne!”😀i
It was fun , being young in the 1980s! Nowadays I’d probably lose my license and end up in the pokey!😀

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 05/12/24.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t believe I ever slept good on a bench seat! Even tired, it seemed like I woke up every 15 minutes!
We always spent a weekend down at the track In Hagerstown for the 4th or Labor Day weekend.
We always took a tent and set up, but everyone was afraid to sleep in it, because some joker out of their car would collapse it on you !😀
There was a low spot in the field, and I’d straddle it with the Monte, lock it up, and crawl underneath! Slept pretty good that way, but trying to get really comfortable on a vinyl bench seat is dang near impossible!
Now I’m the bed of a deuce and a half was good, even better if you hade a cushion made outta camouflage netting!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bet you spent some Hagerstown weekends with Smitty the Poop Pumper. Never did, but I’ve heard stories!

Our daughter is Shoe Leather Expressing it.
Mom and Dad hauling her to work(we are too easy on her)

Life 360 showed me her trip from the Martinsburg airport to Bedford.

34 miles in 35 minutes.
4 times over 80 mph
Top speed 101 mph.

Is disciplining your kid for doing stuff you did hypocritical?
Hope not.
Every one says she is the younger, female, version of her Dad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years back on TNN, Bobby Bare interviewed the couple who wrote Wake Up. They said 58 performers including Elvis turned the song down before the Everly Brothers latched ahold of it.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Speaking of Susie. would someone post Bob Newhart waking up ?

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
When we would visit the grandparents it was at least an 8 hour drive. Typically, we'd leave around 11pm and arrive for breakfast. Us kids slept most of the way, and my parents would switch driving a couple of times.

Now it takes a huge amount of trusting someone else's driving for me to nap and rest. I couldn't be a truck driver and sleep in shifts.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
“Smitty the Poop Pumper”?
I never heard the term that I can recall!
Drag Racing Septic Truck?
Most of the trips were 6, 8, or whatever it was. A bunch of us would get together and caravan down to the track, most of us drove, but a few guys would trailer.
We bracket raced all day. In the evening we cooked on The grill, drank some beer, and wandered around looking at cars and meeting new friends. We’d set up the tent, but nobody was foolish enough to try to sleep in it!😀 It was always a great weekend.
For some fool reason I fell in love and got married and joined the service 🤬
Good home, great car, and hunting season just around the bend. I was literally at the pinnacle!😀
I think if I had a Time Machine, I might go back and kill me when I was 19!😀
But if I killed me at 19, how could I be 58 and go back in time to kill me?😀😀😀
Tom Fleegle told me “you’re living the best years of your life!”
I realize how right he was.
Still without Carol, I wouldn’t have Ben and Sara. I’m old, but not decrepit. I have guns to shoot, deer to shoot at, and who knows what God might bless me with next month of next year?
I have always believed I was one lucky sonuvagun!🙏
It is fun recalling these old days. If I died tonight, I sure couldn’t complain
I’ve been beyond lucky!😎

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I drove truck for a little while. I never could sleep in a moving truck. At least not decently.
In the service, many of us did sleep on our feet, sometimes even walking, because they run you to exhaustion. I understand. A military force needs people who can be counted on!
But I still ain’t gonna buy two young lovers falling asleep for over 6 hours!😀
Come on Everly Brothers and Susie! Tell the truth! My mind leans towards “ooh la la”!😀

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I've napped on Howitzer ammunition.

My grandfather, a Marine in WW 2, wrote a letter to my grandmother while being transported across the Pacific on a Destroyer. His only accommodation being a large coiled pile of dock lines on the deck, wrote, “….having no bunk for the entirety of the journey, I am now convinced that I can sleep anywhere.”

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 3,005 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,620
Posts18,533,042
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.