-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I melted my mixture of old bullets, wheel weights and led scraps tonight. I was able to collect the dirt off the top, but when I tried to cast some bullets, the mixture was not thin enough to get through the plate to the mould. It would solidify all over the mold top with nothing getting in. After that I pulled the plate out of the way and that worked somewhat but bullets were not consistent and I tossed them
back in the pot.

I suspect it was not hot enough, correct? Higher temperature will make led flow better and more liquid.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yep, your correct. Try a Coleman stove or a regular smelting pot. Need to get the mix up to about 700 deg.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also you may need to preheat your mold.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks! I ended up leaving the mold on the edge of the plate, the scoop in the led to keep it warm, got few bullets out, but nothing to use.

The dead give away was that I was not able to pour led from cold ladl, it would just solidify on it. I will try tonight with coleman stove.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I melt the lead outside and since there was no wind tonight, I gave the hot plate another shot. It worked like a charm. I used up all my led, about 3 pounds and casted 120+ bullets. Gottta get more lead, but I think I got a pretty good hang of it.

Very addictive craft I must say smile

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh-oh! Now your hooked. As was said earlier, a furnace makes it a whole lot easier and if you really like ladle pouring, Lee makes a 20 lb. furnace for ladle use for about $50. I like the bottom pour furnace that Lyman and RCBS make. All have thermostatically controlled heating elements which makes it easy to control alloy temp.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
D
I bought the small lyman furnace and that thing gets so hot that the copper jackets from the recycled bullets I was melting started to glow. Never saw this from the Lee furnaces that I have used in the past.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use an old cast iron Lyman bottom pour furnace, and love it. Truth be told I used a hot plate for years, with a little cast iron skillet to hold the lead and the ubiquitous Lyman dipper. I still use that setup when I just want to try a handful of experimental bullets and don't want to change over what's in the furnace.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (280shooter, 1lessdog, 2ndwind, 264mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 44 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 560 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,444
Posts18,507,868
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.