Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hello-

I am asking for help from Pre-64 Model 70 experts: Is the front sight ramp in the attached picture correct for an early 60's .338 win mag? I have only seen flat (angled) stimpled or striated ramps. If it is an after market ramp, any idea of what make?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Attached Images
front sight.jpg (50.68 KB, 192 downloads)
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Not an expert but, that ramp is not correct. Most obvious is that the ramp itself is curved, not straight and the front sight hood is not correct for a pre-64. Additionally, the ramp does not appear to be soldered on and it also looks like it is too close to the muzzle. No idea of the make.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It looks like the #5 ramp, but it was not used after about 400,000. What SN do you have?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
It's on a 490,xxx; I don't own it, but am considering bidding. It's currently listed on gunbroker.
Thanks,

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by snowshew
Hello-

I am asking for help from Pre-64 Model 70 experts: Is the front sight ramp in the attached picture correct for an early 60's .338 win mag? I have only seen flat (angled) stimpled or striated ramps. If it is an after market ramp, any idea of what make?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

That rifle is a beauty, but there's many questionable things done to it that makes me believe it is not a Winchester "custom shop rifle". It's obvious that the GB seller is getting tired of being haggled over originality of the rifle. I'd pass and buy the "original" 338 Alaskan on GB, but that's just me. The seller also seems like a diccckkk and a return would be out of the question, so you would be stuck with it if you run across a serious problem with the rifle.

Ben, here is what an original 338 Alaskan front sight, hood and ramp looks like:
[Linked Image]

I'd ask the guy how long the barrel is, it may have been shortened???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
BSA,
I had a similar reaction to the "tone" of the advertisement, but aside from the front sight couldn't find anything that wasn't available as a special order option; fancy checkering, upgraded wood, jewelling, etc. What is making you suspicious?
Ben

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ditto - its a caveat emptor deal...........

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Ditto - its a caveat emptor deal...........

Exactly....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I only takes ONE problem, excuse gun to put a terrible taste in the ole gun buying game, for just a few extra bucks a man can find a no excuses, HONEST gun. I have no problem if buyer tells or shows the varnish is coming off a 60 year old mod 70. Long story short problems are not bargains when the time comes to send em' down the road....... when you are 90 and cannot climb in the tree anymore or the Dr tells you ,you have 4 months to live and you do not want a s&#t head SIL to piss your pride and joy guns away! LOL very best WinPoor

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks to all for the sage advice on guns (and life; still in my 30s and no kids in sight, but point well taken...) Happy to have a forum to bounce ideas and questions off of. Take care. Ben

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ben, I just wanted to say good luck in your search for that perfect 338 Alaskan. It took me a loooooooong time to find just the right one. If you like the custom on GB, you can always take a chance on it. Just keep in mind that it will probably never be considered a collector quality rifle as there is no proof that it was put out by the custom shop. A rifle like that one really needs a 3 day inspection period as well. I honestly don't think you will have any luck convincing the seller of that though. I'm also willing to bet his exorbitant reserve price is over $3,000.00 too. Here's the listing so the other guys here can see it and make coments:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=405108299

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
While I was dicking around trying to justify buying this bad boy a deep pocket came along and pulled the trigger! NIB
http://www.daverifflegunsales.com/winchester/winchester_70/winchester_70_338_win_mag_1959
You snooze and hit the clutch and BINGO its history! LMAO, very best Winchester Poor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Winpoor, how much did he want for that one??

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 22250rem, 12savage, 52 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,296
Posts18,505,329
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.