-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing I have found over the years is to build a corral with hot wire and T posts.( I use a 12 volt shocker) Make it large and build the corral so they have access into the creek. That way they can roll, rest, and drink what they want when they want. I could not believe how much stronger the animals were compared to having them a week or so on a high line.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
One thing I have found over the years is to build a corral with hot wire and T posts.( I use a 12 volt shocker) Make it large and build the corral so they have access into the creek. That way they can roll, rest, and drink what they want when they want. I could not believe how much stronger the animals were compared to having them a week or so on a high line.

I have seen guys use them in the back country but as I posted before sooner or later something comes thru camp at night, spooks them, they run thru the wire, and off they go.

In Colorado if the Forest Service or BLM catches you with the pen going down to the water, they will write you up. It is the same rule as camping within 100 feet of a stream or lake.

Most guys that I see using this method tend to tear up a lot more grass and ground as the horses or mules overgraze that pen. Again, if the FS or BLM sees that, you got another ticket coming. I have even seen them write up guys who nailed fence insulators into trees.

With more and more people using wilderness areas, they are getting more fussy about use and damage. I had two rangeretts that were going to write me up because I had broken off some small willow brush going down to where I had my highline. They were harassing me for sure and just didn't want me camping where I was.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No offense meant so please don't take any, but God I'm glad I live work and hunt where I do. SS,your post reminded how good we have it with our range and wilderness.

BORN to HUNT
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by FoxtonGundogs
No offense meant so please don't take any, but God I'm glad I live work and hunt where I do. SS,your post reminded how good we have it with our range and wilderness.

None taken. Wish I was up there with you.

Colorado has become a liberal cess pool. Most FS or BLM employees are college grads from back east that want to close all public lands. They have no idea about multi use or any use of our public lands. All they have been taught is the evil public is destroying THIER forest.

Heck for a lot of wilderness areas ,you need a permit to go into. If the quota has been reached, you don't get a permit. You can't have more than 25 beating hearts in a group. That is people, dogs, mules, horses. Anything that breathes.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 52 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.