-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before Hornady Interlock and before Nosler partitions in 6mm/243, I only shot varmints with that caliber due to dismal performance of bullets available then. I've since used different bullets 95& greater on Antelope. I like only Hornady and Nosler bullets for game larger than coyotes in 243/6mm.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I haven't found a .243 bullet that won't kill deer expeditiously yet. That would include the Sierra Gameking 85 gr. BTHP, 95gr. Hornady SST, 100 gr. Hornady interlock FB, 100 gr. Core-Lokt, 100 gr. Federal power shok, and 100 gr. Power Point. My .223 with plain old 55 gr. Hornady sp's kills the hell out of them so I ain't too worried about finding/using the absolute bestest .243 bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I haven't found a .243 bullet that won't kill deer expeditiously yet. That would include the Sierra Gameking 85 gr. BTHP, 95gr. Hornady SST, 100 gr. Hornady interlock FB, 100 gr. Core-Lokt, 100 gr. Federal power shok, and 100 gr. Power Point. My .223 with plain old 55 gr. Hornady sp's kills the hell out of them so I ain't too worried about finding/using the absolute bestest .243 bullet.

Deer aren't hard to kill when you hit em in the ribs, that's for sure. I do like a bullet that will get through a shoulder on occasion though.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Deer aren't hard to kill when you hit em in the ribs, that's for sure. I do like a bullet that will get through a shoulder on occasion though.
It don't take much to get through a deer shoulder either. Actually much less than most hunters would believe. I once put a 38 gr. Power Lokt HP fired from a 5mm Remington rimfire magnum through a fokhorn bucks shoulder from 60 yards. He ran all of 30 yards and fell over dead. The bullet punched through the shoulder and exited behind the shoulder on the off side. Hard to believe maybe, but true nonetheless. I've also broke shoulders with several of the .243 bullets listed above, as well as the 55 gr. Hornady sp from my .223. In fact I put one of the 55 Hornady's through both shoulders of a big doe from a distance of 80 yards just a couple seasons back. She dropped like a lead balloon and I found what was left of the bullet just under the hide on the offside shoulder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It don't take much to get through a deer shoulder either. Actually much less than most hunters would believe. I once put a 38 gr. Power Lokt HP fired from a 5mm Remington rimfire magnum through a fokhorn bucks shoulder from 60 yards. He ran all of 30 yards and fell over dead. The bullet punched through the shoulder and exited behind the shoulder on the off side. Hard to believe maybe, but true nonetheless. I've also broke shoulders with several of the .243 bullets listed above, as well as the 55 gr. Hornady sp from my .223. In fact I put one of the 55 Hornady's through both shoulders of a big doe from a distance of 80 yards just a couple seasons back. She dropped like a lead balloon and I found what was left of the bullet just under the hide on the offside shoulder.

There's deer and then there's deer. Try that on a 250-300 lb mule deer buck and results might be different.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

There's deer and then there's deer. Try that on a 250-300 lb mule deer buck and results might be different.
You may well be right. There ain't any 250-300 lb mule deer around here so never shot one. The above applies to whitetails only.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I shot over a dozen wolves,and countless coyotes with the 70gr.nosler BT,as well as several nice mule deer. They worked exceptionally well. I have since went to 105s after rebarreling and wanting a better bc for longer range. Those 70s kept virtually all the energy inside the animal, causing very quick kills.I did get some exits on coyotes and they were quite large. No tracking needed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why is there a 90 grain Nosler BT and a 95?

Is the 90 as good? I noticed that shooters' pro shop has the 90 grain ammunition on sale all the time.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosl...-ballistic-tip-ammunition-blem-20ct.html

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Twist rates is my guess

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slower than 1 in 10?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Still some 12 twist 244s out there

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Why is there a 90 grain Nosler BT and a 95?

Is the 90 as good? I noticed that shooters' pro shop has the 90 grain ammunition on sale all the time.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosl...-ballistic-tip-ammunition-blem-20ct.html

I'm in.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Is there any difference in jacket thickness between the 90,95 and 100 gr. Nosler BT?

As far as 6mm bullets for deer go the only bad choices are the varmint bullets. Stocked up on 95 BT so that's what I will be using. But could just as well go Hornaday.

Had the non core lokt deflect off a deer's rib before and some boat tails that were loose in the jacket on recovery but really can't say any of them failed as they were all taken from dead deer.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I'll ask do you have any extensive experience of bullet failures with that shot?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (02bfishn, 16gage, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,427
Posts18,470,733
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.