-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought mine a while back; mostly just out of mechanical curiosity. Being a US-made model there was no political guilt with it. Out of a couple hundred rounds it has jammed (FTE) exactly once. Accuracy is sorta iffy, as mentioned.

They are a convenient place to insert AK magazines, loaded with 7.62x39 ammo. Other than that feature, lots of things will outshoot them. And probably run just as reliably, for not much more money. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sold my Russian SGL-20 for twice what I paid for it...and I thought I paid too much. The kids miss shooting the AK, so I'll get another one at some point just for the kids to have fun with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I do like about AK's.

They don't care which magazine you use (green follower, PMAG, orange follower, etc).
You don't have to have "M-4" feed ramps
You don't have to have a properly staked bolt carrier
You don't have to have the o-ring under the extractor
You don't have to have this or that spring guide
You don't have to worry about what your barrel twist is

It's just load, bang, repeat. They're fun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn't someone once say that you can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight though? laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That sounds a lot like a S&W wheelgun except for the mag thing.

And bolts staked to crosses and O-rings and twisted sisters. whistle

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Russia is one of the smaller exporters of AK's. The Bulgarian AK's are the absolute equal of the Russian rifles and generally around the same price. We still get a lot from Romania, and while not as pretty, they're still good rifles.

What I'll miss is the cheap plinkin ammo.

couple of weeks ago, 1000round case of 7.62x39 hollowpoints for two hundred dollars here in arizona.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Kalashnikov designed something that borrowed on a German design(SIG-44)in the field during WW2.
The AK has more influence from the M1 Garand than the MP-44. The MP-44 uses a tilting bolt, where the AK is a rotating bolt like the Garand. The AK trigger group is pure Garand. The gas system / recoil spring arrangement is Garand turned upside down.

The overall exterior package shows some influence of the MP-44, no doubt there. But inside, it's all Garand.

aw kevin, you have been looking. And you can say it also resembles thus the m1carbine, the ruger mini 14 which came later.
My personal belief is that oz NEVER wanted those systems sold here because of that trigger group.
the russians are kind of like the japanese in a way, they can copy stuff pretty darn good. Crude, but good. Look at the makarov pistol and tell me where that puppy's father came from.
The biggest deficiency in my book on the A.K. are the 30's vintage sight systems. They do not lend themselves well to optics which makes all the world of difference in todays world.
But I got to tell you a A.K.74 with that russian military ammo, is in another category.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/23/14.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The only country that i haven't been able to stomach in collecting is italy. The rest is fair game.
I hear a lot of crud about a russian mosin nagant too, until you get a chance to shoot a finnish version, which is comparable to a swedish mauser or a schmidt rubin, which at one time you could buy for about 70bucks. One of the better deals i have ever found.
The schmidt rubin that is.
They all have their charms.
I have fired select fire m14's in the squad configeration. Front grip etc.Difficult for me because in prone my fat belly interfers.
I like the m1A too, particularly in the 20inch version with the pic rail, not the socom.
My heart truely belongs to the M1Garand.
But I will repeat, with a kvar build a.k., the group at 100yards was not that much bigger than a stag ar15, which in a lot of respects IS a better rifle. One or two or three inch groups is not the only determining factor.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/23/14.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
another little tidbit off topic. Friend of mine and i were having a conversation a few years ago, he was chief brand inspector for the state. Discussion of what cattle poachers/rustlers seemed to be using. Mostly finding 7.62x39 casing at the scene of the evil deed.
Mostly we thought from cheap s.k.s. rifles, which seem to be the weapon of choice for killing two hundred year old cactus in the desert.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only country that i haven't been able to stomach in collecting is italy.
aw come on! what no carcano's with the fantastic gain twist in your safe? have played with one or two. million dollar round in a fifty cent gun.

Last edited by deerstalker; 07/23/14.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,022
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.