GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ConradCA
[Linked Image]

That does not always work on gophers as they plug some of their runs up. I have a pipe and I take off my lawn mower muffler and replace it with the pipe. It works some of the time. Interesting as it works with gas engines, but did not work using my diesel.

Black Hole Rodent traps do it every time.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by nighthawk
In the Caddyshack vein farmers have a lot of fun with these on pocket gophers, extensive tunnel systems. May have to re-landscape though. grin

But at 2000 bucks, that's some pretty spendy amusement.

I ran a propane cutting torch for years at work. I wonder why a fellow could not run a Victor torch head with a rose bud down the hole for a few minutes then light the gas off with a grill ignitor.

Greg, how about it?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Gassing doesn't work, the little pricks fill the tunnel blocking it off before it can ever take effect on them or their offspring! Might wind up with the fumes in your house though....

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HawkI
Watch Caddyshack...

that's the ticket

and as an added bonus it'll teach you how to remove a candy bar from a swimming pool

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by aalf

A petite blonde I work with does exactly that on her lawn. She and her daughters get a kick out of it when that gopher pops up in the jug. It works.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Originally Posted by aalf

A petite blonde I work with does exactly that on her lawn. She and her daughters get a kick out of it when that gopher pops up in the jug. It works.

Ground squirrels and gophers are two different animals. This jug trick might work on gophers.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Acetylene torch and a match! Will also blow coyotes out of a den in a culvert...to a fair you well!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had good luck running a hose from my Jeep's exhaust pipe. Dixie Gun Works makes a .32 caliber "mouse trap" that isn't as reliable but is more fun. Its a little brass muzzle loader that has a sort of a spoon shaped lever that sticks out over the muzzle. That's the trigger. You load it up with a few grains of Pyrodex and a pinch of birdshot and place it in the tunnel. When the critter tries to shove the spoon out of the way, it blows his head clean off. The difficult part using it for moles and such is getting it facing the right way so he comes at it from the front.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RobJordan: My wife owned a beauty shop for 27 years in the Windemere (bucks up!) neighborhood of Seattle.
Gopher (REAL Gophers!) capital of the U.S. of A.!
Each spring and summer the Doctors and lawyers wives would come to her shop at closing time and gather a bag of cut human hair!
These ladies would interupt a gopher run/tunnel with a shovel and place a handful of cut hair in the track.
Legend has it that the cut hairs would enter their soft skin/pelt and some how infect and kill them.
AND according to the many dozens of repeat hair gatherer/placers this is the MOST reliable/effective way to kill lawn gophers.
I prefered rockeries, landscaping and shrubs to lawns so I never got into the gopher killing myself.
Best of luck to you with whichever method of gopher eradication you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
But at 2000 bucks, that's some pretty spendy amusement.

Pocket gophers can devastate a hayfield. The farmer I know who runs a Rodenator or something like it enjoys seeing it go boom so he alibis the cost. Plus he gets to blow up tunnels for his neighbors. Don't know if he charges but he could, or just has fun with it.

Don't think I'd let Calvin near my lawn with it. laugh The field next door is full of pocket gophers but they stay away from my lawn. Short grass I suppose.

Had a minor ground squirrel invasion a few years ago. A combination of "hunting" with Colibris and whatever the poison bait I got at the farm store was handled it nicely.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You need to bring in a professional hunter... a Great Blue Heron.

Here is a nice video (facebook, but no need to login)

Great Blue Heron lunch CLICK ME

Love the comment "eew. He ate it alive!"

John

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.