Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by eyeball
Rush says that the experts in Western Europe are expecting a lot of deaths there from Ebola.

Wouldn't closing down flights be worth it to save just one child, he asks.

It's only good common sense to isolate and insulate against the spread of a fatal disease that the degree of communicability isn't known yet.

But, our borders remain open for liberal PC reasons.
Hear hear.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For the first ten years give or take, AIDS had a 100% mortality rate didn't it. It just didn't do it in two weeks.

I think "mortality rate" was used in a different sense in the original quote; more like in the sense of death rate or risk of same relative to the whole population.

One can be among an AIDS-infected population and avoid catching the disease by simple precautions, mostly controlling one's own behavior.

Ebola is a whole different kettle of fish.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A pretty good link on Drudge from the WHO.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...6-4fb2-11e4-8c24-487e92bc997b_story.html

Global health officials are looking closely at the �reproduction number,� which estimates how many people, on average, will catch the virus from each person stricken with Ebola. The epidemic will begin to decline when that number falls below one. A recent analysis estimated the number at 1.5 to 2.

The number of Ebola cases in West Africa has been doubling about every three weeks. There is little evidence so far that the epidemic is losing momentum.

FWIW I agree with Miles, I believe the epidemic IS losing momentum, this from my familiarity with the people in at least one part of West Africa.

Never mind the International Aid, which must still be several days late and dollars short, by now the people themselves will be adjusting their behavior to this epidemic. IMHO an infection rate of less than 2 at this point is a way-encouraging sign.

JMHO,
Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
For the first ten years give or take, AIDS had a 100% mortality rate didn't it. It just didn't do it in two weeks.

I think "mortality rate" was used in a different sense in the original quote; more like in the sense of death rate or risk of same relative to the whole population.

One can be among an AIDS-infected population and avoid catching the disease by simple precautions, mostly controlling one's own behavior.

That is spot on. I did not really fear AIDS, because I was not out having sex with the demographic group that was susceptible. I don't see any way to avoid the ebola possibility without becoming a hermit.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Exactly. AIDS is spread mainly from needle sharing and male, homosexual, sex. Not the case with Ebola.

IC B2

FlaRick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
WHO: 10,000 new Ebola cases per week could be seen

By MARIA CHENG
AP Medical Writer

LONDON (AP) -- West Africa could face up to 10,000 new Ebola cases a week within two months, the World Health Organization warned Tuesday, adding that the death rate in the current outbreak has risen to 70 percent.

WHO assistant director-general Dr. Bruce Aylward gave the grim figures during a news conference in Geneva. Previously, the agency had estimated the Ebola mortality rate at around 50 percent overall. In contrast, in events such as flu pandemics, the death rate is typically under 2 percent.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...TE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-14-08-44-11

I'm better when I move.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
http://www.kansas.com/news/state/article2713390.html

The University of Kansas Hospital reported late Monday afternoon that it was testing a patient to determine whether he was infected with the Ebola virus.

The Kansas City, Kan., man had worked as a medical officer on a commercial vessel off Africa�s west coast and went to the hospital early Monday with a high fever and other symptoms, said Lee Norman, the hospital�s chief medical officer. He was isolated in an infectious-disease unit for tests.

Norman said it appeared the patient was �at low to moderate risk of Ebola,� but the hospital was following Ebola guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Test results on the patient were expected by this evening.

Other diseases can start with high fevers and similar symptoms to Ebola. While on board ship, Norman said, the man treated patients for a variety of conditions and was exposed to typhoid. Norman said that was a likely cause of his illness.

�I�m hopeful he doesn�t have Ebola,� Norman said.

Putting the patient under the strict isolation used for Ebola is �really about an abundance of caution. ... We can�t let our guard down.�

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
http://www.kctv5.com/story/26781493/kansas-city-man-has-low-to-moderate-risk-of-ebola

KANSAS CITY, KS (KCTV/AP) - The University of Kansas Hospital reports the first lab results indicate the patient currently in isolation does not have Ebola.

However, until a more confirmatory test from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta comes in the next two days, the hospital will keep the patient in isolation as a precaution, hospital officials say.

The Kansas City, KS, man in his 40s went to the hospital Monday morning with significant weakness and diarrhea and he had previously had a fever. Norman said it was encouraging that the man did not have a fever or internal bleeding, two symptoms of Ebola.

He worked as a medic on a commercial ship off Africa's west coast until about five days ago and treated patients with a variety of conditions. He was exposed to typhoid and Norman said that was the likely cause of his illness.

smile

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
FlaRick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Ebola Test Is Positive in Second Texas Health Worker

By ALAN COWELLOCT. 15, 2014

The authorities in Texas reported on Wednesday that a second health care worker involved in the treatment of a patient who died of the Ebola virus had tested positive for the disease after developing a fever.

The worker, who was not identified by name, had been �among those who took care of Thomas Eric Duncan after he was diagnosed with Ebola,� a statement from the Texas Department of State Health Services said.

Mr. Duncan, a citizen of Liberia, one of the three West African nations most stricken with the disease, died a week ago.

�Health officials have interviewed the latest patient to quickly identify any contacts or potential exposures, and those people will be monitored,� the statement said.

The patient had also been isolated, the statement said. It said initial tests were carried out late Tuesday at the state public health laboratory in Austin, Tex., and added that �confirmatory testing on a separate specimen will be conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.�
Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage

The total number of people being monitored is now 125, health officials said, including 48 who have been watched for more than two weeks after coming into contact with Mr. Duncan before he was admitted to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital on Sept. 28.

The statement came a day after officials in Dallas said they were now monitoring 76 health care workers at Presbyterian Hospital who treated or cared forMr. Duncan or who might have handled blood specimens from the time he was admitted to the hospital on Sept. 28 to his death last Wednesday.

One nurse at the hospital, Nina Pham, 26, who helped look after Mr. Duncan is already being treated for Ebola.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/u...contentID=21376200&pgtype=Multimedia

I'm better when I move.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Damn frown Some hope for the rest of us I guess in that protocols at the hospital may have been slack....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29628622

Nurses at the Dallas hospital say they worked for days without adequate protective clothing and received little guidance on how to prevent the spread of the virus.

...if so, I'd guess that aint the case any more.

No reports yet on the family who were in the same apartment, the guys in the ambulance who transported him, or the Cops on the scene. Nothing apparently from the other folks on the planes coming over either.

From which we might come to learn that the potential for transmission indeed remains relatively low quite far along the progression of the disease.

However in the later stages as the virus does its exponential replication thing at the cost of the whole body, the astronomical numbers of virus particles present as whole tissues and organs are liquified must be staggering.

JMHO,
Birdwatcher

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
CDC really did a goat [bleep] on this

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
FlaRick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Are you surprised? If this is what happens in a stateside hospital, we can only pray for those poor servicemen and women that Obama has sent to the hot zone.

I'm better when I move.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
RB I just added a few democrat talking point words to your sentence so maybe the libs could understand it better.

Let's make this perfectly clear. It's only good common sense for us to initiate a robust comprehensive plan to isolate and insulate against the spread of a fatal disease that the degree of communicability isn't known yet. closing the border and incoming flights from infected areas should be the first step. After all we want our fair share of safety from these deadly diseases.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,473
Posts18,489,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.