Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by jnyork
AR15 (yes, AR15 by Armalite) in about January of 1964.

They still used them in basic training in '72.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is always one in every platoon. When I was in Basic Training in Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, 1959, there was a coonazz from out of the swamps of south Louisiana, who was a total screwup.

One day we were running the course (can't remember what it was called) where you crawled under barbed wire for a distance with the water cooled Browning .30 Machine Guns shooting over your head. This guy was crawling along as were a bunch of other guys in various lanes. (If I recall there were four machine guns firing.)

He had told some other soldiers previously that they were not using live ammo, shooting over us as we crawled along, hugging the ground.

He crawled about half way through the course, the machine guns chattering away, when he turned over and said to a guy in the next lane, "Hell, that ain't live ammo. I'll prove it."

He tossed his steel helmet up in the air. CLANG CLANG CLANG!! That helmet went scooting along with three .30 bullet holes in it. Of course, there was an immediate "Cease Fire!," and the sergeants went running out to the screwup, dragging him off the course. He spent the next two weeks pulling KP and about anything else the sergeants could come up with.

His pay was also docked for the price of his helmet. He never again questioned anything about "live ammo" courses. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had two beers while still in 2nd recruit training Bn. at Parris Island S.C. on Sunday Nov. 2nd, 1969. Honest to God... Here's how it happened: We graduated Mon. Nov. 3rd and the day before if you had family coming down to see your graduation they could sign you out for a couple hours on Sun. afternoon for some on base liberty. Buddy of mine was stationed up at Camp LeJuene N.C. and had his own car and that Sunday he came down to see me and had no trouble getting on base because he was an active duty Marine and got me signed out by telling them he was my step-brother. We drove around a little on the island and he had a cooler in the back seat with beer. I couldn't resist... had two of 'em... Don't even recall what kind of beer it was but it seemed like beer had never tasted so good. But it was terrifying to have to go back to our barracks. Thank God the D.I. on duty that afternoon didn't smell anything on me or else I would have been dead meat for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
Sixteen weeks of keep your mouth shut, do what you were told, stay in step, stand in line, gas house, smoke house, gradate, then get on with life.

It was A school that changed my life. I was not interested in high school and graduated near the bottom. Never took a book home and seldom did any homework. First day of A school in south Philly we learned we were to eat our lunches at the brig as it was the closest chow hall. It was one of the last red line brigs, not a pleasant place.

Anyway they assigned us about a hundred pages of reading the first night. I thought it was like high school where I could listen in class and pass all the tests. The second morning first thing was a test covering what we were supposed to read the night before. Needless to say I failed. The they told us that if we failed three tests it was two weeks in the brig and start over. Suddenly I found the motivation to study. I graduated first in my class. I kept on studying and made E-5 in under two years. I have never had a problem studying since nor have I ever failed any test since.

Good thing some teacher taught you how to read in school. wink

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That is a bit of a story all by itself. I was taught an experimental reading system that turned out to be a complete failure. I think it only lasted two years but the damage was done. I have been told none of my classmates can read. I have taken three collage placement tests and all three times the tester look at my background and told me I could neither read of spell. They have been shocked when they gave me a reading comprehension test. I can read and I love to read. Spelling is another story.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spelling is another story

So we've noticed wink wink

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My boot camp stint happened 46 yrs ago this month.....either the 5th or the 8th of Aug 1968. I had a few occurances at NTC San Diego but the one that really stuck out was qualification day at Camp Elliott. Three or four companies were loaded in to cattle cars for the trip. My company got split up and the bus i was on overheated and just plodded along.
When we finally arrived at the hangar the Marine Range Officers were not happy campers. And there were not enough M1 Garands set out. I knew about the Garand and the "thumb" but had never touched one. So we finally were sitting cross-legged on the floor with our
weapon and two stripper clips (i think). We were instructed not to
touch anything until screamed at.
I knew the Garand was chambered in 30/06 but the cartridges in the
clips were way to short. I had an '06 and a 243 back home. Stupidly a
finger grew a mind of its own and moved a clip so i could better look
at the ammo. Hell then erupted around and over me.....along with a
severely polished shoe crunching my right hand (and the brain-dead
trigger finger).
After a bunch of pushups and ear damage the Marine demanded why
i had touched the ammo. I squeaked something back about the
ammo looked wrong. WRONG ANSWER from a squirrel.
As my luck had it the same RO was my hovering RO at the range.
After not crunching my thumb loading the first clip i wrapped myself
into the sling,positioned my body as best as i could remember the
proper prone position and tried to still my heart.....impossible. The
RO then knelt next to me and decently asked if i knew something about shooting.
I proceeded to miss my target with every shot.....and i was stunned. Of course,derision then rained upon me loudly from my buddy RO. Loading the second clip i was determined.....no marks on my target. With three or four rounds left i lowered my front sight and was rewarded with a cloud of dust at the top of the berm. My last rounds went into the black.
After the cease fire and leaving my Garand on the concrete and stepping back,my RO picked it up,yelled "line hot" and loaded it. He missed my target on the first shot....he asked where i ended up holding and i replied bottom of the frame. All black-offhand-til the "ting".
He turned and said,"you probably would have qualified if the Navy armorers hadn't [bleep] up."
"And you are correct on the ammunition."
It was many years later that i figured out i had shot a modified Garand Mod 0 or Mod1......in 7.62x51.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by manydogs

I have tried to keep it a secrete. grin

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Last day of basic Training, my granparents drove up from Florida for the ceremony.
Grandpa was a WWII Veteran so he knew the deal.....after graduation they allowed us a couple hours of "Family" time in our company area. My grandparents had a picnic lunch packed for us, and Grandpa had a thermos filled with cold "Koolaid" that tasted remarkably like Budweiser! grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

But it leaked out. grin

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A heck of a lot more than once. wink

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Your French is pretty good, Scott!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
laugh laugh laugh

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Ah, Basic Training during April, May and June 1966 at Fort Jackson. laugh

First thing I remember was hearing Sgt Stowers say, "In the next eight weeks I'm going to get to know 20 percent of you really well!!! That's the bottom ten percent and the top ten percent. The rest of you just do what you are told and I won't even know your name!!" You can bet this cowboy made dang sure he was in the middle 80 percent ALL the time.

I also agree that I was in the best physical condition of my life at the time and actually enjoyed PT. Being 21 years old I was a little more mature than some and seemingly could cope with many situations better than some others could.

I also came to really like the M-14 as a weapon. Mine was very accurate and wish I could own it today. One of the last things I can remember about basic was crawling the Infiltration Course twice in one night. It was raining and one of my platoon sergeants came along and said they were short a few people in the last wave and did anyone want to crawl it again? I took a chance at volunteering as I knew he was a pretty straight shooter and I was just getting wetter standing around. True to his word there were no strings attached and when the wave finished we all gathered up in formation and marched back to our company barracks. The barracks was quite a sight with everyone stripped to their shorts while cleaning their rifle. It was a fighting end to the week of Bivouac in the field.

I recently revisited Fort Jackson and was amazed at all the changes. I couldn't find the area where our barracks were and the only thing I did recognize was Headquarters. Of course it has been a little time since I was there. laugh wink

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
98 ft sill I think we were in our 6th week of basic training. Bam their they were sticking out like sore thumbs day 1 privates just shipped over from reception holy [bleep] these kids were so [bleep] rattled I still remember it like yesterday one of them just threw up all over his food. You could spot them a mile out due to their brand new bdu's.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember it from the other end. Going through processing, getting our brand new uniforms and just learning how to march in formation, we'd pass guys in their 7th or 8th week of Basic and look in awe at the "seasoned vets". wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
they (the company above us) also had a guy called "the stroker".... grin he was caught wacking off one night so the company commander moved his rack to the middle of the barracks..supposedly, this didn't deter him... sick

We had a guy like that. Jacked his meat while sound asleep. They discharged him (no pun) sleep jacking is like sleep walking I guess.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
While in basic, during swim quals/week they have the SWIC/EOD/SEAL guys come in and give the big recruitment speech. It's the ONLY time you could ever get out of your enlistment contract and change rates to a feeder rate for those duties but you had to decide then.

I decided I wanted to do it. Passed the PT test/swim etc. Then it was noticed that I was blue/green and red/orange color deficient. No go.

"But Chief, underwater, colors go away, red being the first in as little as 10 feet"

"Seaman Recruit Teal - how do you know that?"

"I scuba dive"

No good. later I'm in language school and they're doing the big air crew linguist recruitment thing. Sounds cool - sign me up.

"Teal - you're color blind you can't go"

"Chief, why not? What does that have to do with my language skills?"

"Teal - you're an observer on that acft too. If there are other acft in the air, you have to recognize navigation lights to monitor what they're doing/where they're going"

I sat down and thought about it.

"Chief - if the plane's getting bigger, it's chasing us, if it's getting smaller it's going away and if it stays the same size, it's just there. Even at night I'd be able to tell by the distance between the lights. Doesn't matter a damn what color they are."

You could tell he had never thought of this before and you could tell that pissed him off.

"Teal - sit down, shut up and color. You're not going air crew!"

"aye aye chief"

Busted by genetics.

Me

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

316 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 25 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,842
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.