Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
antelope_sniper,

RM, the first person to publish a list consistant with what was later canonized was a Bishop of Alexandria in 367 CE, but it wasn't accepted until the Council of Trent 30 years later.

It looks like I was close.

As for Albright, he was the son of a Methodist minister.

Check his writings. He was not a Christian. And what was your family history?

Albright was a great scholar influence by his deep Methodist upbringing.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by TF49
RM, the first person to publish a list consistant with what was later canonized was a Bishop of Alexandria in 367 CE, but it wasn't accepted until the Council of Trent 30 years later.

The first suggested NT Cannon was by Marcion around 135 CE which included only the Gospel of Luke, and about 8 of Paul's letters.

AS,

Ok, I get it. Albright is "dismissed" because he was the son of a Methodist minister.

So, how about we dismiss Bart Ehrman as he is simply an agnostic. Many question his scholarship anyway. I mean c'mon a self professed agnostic ranting about Jesus? This is just his way of selling books and getting rich. He cannot be a trusted academic source, just an old fashioned muckraker finding a way to get someone to buy his books.

So, please, no more mention of this Ehrman guy...OK?

TF

TF

The first suggested NT Cannon was by Marcion around 135 CE which included only the Gospel of Luke, and about 8 of Paul's letters.

AS,

Ok, I get it. Albright is "dismissed" because he was the son of a Methodist minister.

So, how about we dismiss Bart Ehrman as he is simply an agnostic. Many question his scholarship anyway. I mean c'mon a self professed agnostic ranting about Jesus? This is just his way of selling books and getting rich. He cannot be a trusted academic source, just an old fashioned muckraker finding a way to get someone to buy his books.

TF

TF

Are you really asserting that Albright's upbringing as the son of of a Methodist Minister had no influence on his work?

AS,

By golly we are very close to agreement. No, I would assert that. But seemingly, that is the reason you dismissed his credentials.

Therefore, since Ehrman is a self-professing agnostic who makes his wealth off of discrediting the deity of Jesus, we can, as you have already done, make the case, to dismiss him as his beliefs most certainly taint his work.

Glad we agree!

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

AS,

TF

TF

AS,

TF

TF

Are you really asserting that Albright's upbringing as the son of of a Methodist Minister had no influence on his work?

AS,

By golly we are very close to agreement. No, I would assert that. But seemingly, that is the reason you dismissed his credentials.

Therefore, since Ehrman is a self-professing agnostic who makes his wealth off of discrediting the deity of Jesus, we can, as you have already done, make the case, to dismiss him as his beliefs most certainly taint his work.

Glad we agree!

TF

Since you know so much about Ehrman, did he start as an agnostic? Where did he go for his undergrad and why?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

You didn't answer the question of your history.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
AS,

Albright was dismissed by you because of bias. Ehrman is to be dismissed in the same way. Many consider Ehrman nothing more than a self aggrandizing agnostic who creates wealth for himself by his anti Jesus muckraking.

Dismissed by virtue of his bias.

TF

Last edited by TF49; 10/29/14.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
antelope_sniper,

You didn't answer the question of your history.

And I won't.

I don't post that kind of information on line.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
AS,

Albright was dismissed by you because of bias. Ehrman is to be dismissed in the same way. Many consider Ehrman nothing more than a self aggrandizing agnostic who creates wealth for himself by his anti Jesus muckraking.

TF

No, I was dismissing Ringman's assertion that Albright was not a Christian. Although that may be true to his understanding of what it means to be a Christian, he was still deeply influenced by his Christian upbringing. Ehrman started as a Christian, studying at Billy Grahams almamatter. Although today he may claim agnosticism, you can still see the Ehrman's Christian roots in his work. Each brings some personal prejudices to their work, and as scholars we must be aware of them.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
AS,

TF

No, I was dismissing Ringman's assertion that Albright was not a Christian. Although that may be true to his understanding of what it means to be a Christian, he was still deeply influenced by his Christian upbringing. Ehrman started as a Christian, studying at Billy Grahams almamatter. Although today he may claim agnosticism, you can still see the Ehrman's Christian roots in his work. Each brings some personal prejudices to their work, and as scholars we must be aware of them.

AS,

Ok, so you are not dismissing Albright's work because he was the son of a minister. But you do acknowledge likely Christian influence in his work.

I acknowledge Bart Ehrman's profession of agnostic beliefs. I also acknowledge the influence this has on his work. His agnostic beliefs permeate and bias his scholarship. He cannot accept that Jesus believed himself to be "God." First thing he has to do is throw out the Book of John and discount the testimony of the apostles and ignore the meaning of passages such as Mt 16: 15-17, Mt 26: 63-64, Luke 22:70

This is simply poor scholarship on his part and his bias has clouded his mind.

btw, he did not fare any better than Larry Krauss did when facing Stephen Colbert.

http://www.charismanews.com/culture...es-jesus-is-son-of-god-with-bible-critic

TF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What difference does being or not being a Christian have to do with good science? He was an archaeologist not a theologian. If you read enough of his works you will discover he thought the Bible was a collection of unsubstantiated legends and myths. He finally concluded, from his field experience, the Jews were very careful record keepers. Even Nelson Glueck, who claimed to be an atheist, said the same thing.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
What difference does being or not being a Christian have to do with good science? He was an archaeologist not a theologian. If you read enough of his works you will discover he thought the Bible was a collection of unsubstantiated legends and myths. He finally concluded, from his field experience, the Jews were very careful record keepers. Even Nelson Glueck, who claimed to be an atheist, said the same thing.

I answered this above.

"No, I was dismissing Ringman's assertion that Albright was not a Christian. Although that may be true to his understanding of what it means to be a Christian, he was still deeply influenced by his Christian upbringing. Ehrman started as a Christian, studying at Billy Grahams almamatter. Although today he may claim agnosticism, you can still see the Ehrman's Christian roots in his work. Each brings some personal prejudices to their work, and as scholars we must be aware of them."

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 10/30/14.

IC B3

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,421
Posts18,470,590
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.