Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
HW, I see a few guys with the quad door up front on trailers so it must be a pretty popular option. Figured you'd want the cows up front so there'd be more weight on the pickup but it must not be too big of a deal.

IB, 90% of our trailer miles are highway or gravel. It's that other 10% that has me worried!

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

When it comes to aluminum trailers holding up the design has to be correct. I use 4-Star but I am sure there are others that are equal. The better ones definately cost more.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Aluminum for asphalt. Steel for everything else.

Let me know when that changes. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Back to rivets vs, welds, they rivet airliners, and over the road trailers.

We still have some old machines made with steel rivets.
I've tired to salvage parts, hard to get those buggers out!

They rivet airplanes for reasons other than strength- for example. Most aircraft skin is alclad 2024 aluminum which cannot be welded.

Welded boats are rated faster than riveted bolts. If you use an aluminum trailer off-road it will crack faster than a steel trailer. Higher tensile strength aluminum is not as forgiving as mild steel used in stock trailers. Get some high carbon steel and it will crack too.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SamOlson
HW, I see a few guys with the quad door up front on trailers so it must be a pretty popular option. Figured you'd want the cows up front so there'd be more weight on the pickup but it must not be too big of a deal.

IB, 90% of our trailer miles are highway or gravel. It's that other 10% that has me worried!

If you are truly hitting 90% highway miles, I'd get a Wilson. A Wilson can handle ranch roads and gravel alright. Just ease up a bit when you are on those surfaces.

I sold our steel trailer about 6 months ago and bought a 22' used Wilson and haven't regretted it in the least.

As to slam gates, you can order them. I don't believe they are standard. I worried a bit about that but have found I get along pretty well with the conventional latch on the rear gate. Our middle gate has a slam latch and it's handy.

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
JWP, the good ones all look to be to be in the $18-19k range. And I guess you generally get what you pay for, hopefully!

Griz, kinda what I was thinking but.....

Dennis, I have seen a few aluminum trailers and wouldn't even consider one for a second. One that comes to mind was a brand new trailer a cattle buyer had used for less than a month.

The rear door hinges(4 or 5) had been factory welded and they were all cracked.

Tarkio, most of our trips are 90 miles out and 90 back, roughly 50/50 highway and gravel. That's why I thought a lighter trailer would be handy.

It's just the off road use once we get to the pastures that has me concerned. Some washouts and nasty chit to drag across.

At least it's only 2-4 horses on the really rough stuff. Not like we'd be pulling a fully loaded trailer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The farm up the road bought a new Eby last spring. I think he said they cost about $1000 a foot.

One trailer upgrade that would be handy is the "rolling gate" or whatever they call it. Lets you adust the center gate back and forth. If you only want two animals in the front your weight distribution isn't off.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ben, I see Wilson has that rolling gate option as well. Looks pretty snazzy.

We'd be better off with a 20' and two divider gates, or at least have the gate up front as close as possible. Nice for hauling out pairs, one small compartment for calves and a larger one for cows.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
JWP, the good ones all look to be to be in the $18-19k range. And I guess you generally get what you pay for, hopefully!

Griz, kinda what I was thinking but.....

Dennis, I have seen a few aluminum trailers and wouldn't even consider one for a second. One that comes to mind was a brand new trailer a cattle buyer had used for less than a month.

The rear door hinges(4 or 5) had been factory welded and they were all cracked.

Tarkio, most of our trips are 90 miles out and 90 back, roughly 50/50 highway and gravel. That's why I thought a lighter trailer would be handy.

It's just the off road use once we get to the pastures that has me concerned. Some washouts and nasty chit to drag across.

At least it's only 2-4 horses on the really rough stuff. Not like we'd be pulling a fully loaded trailer.

Cracking is caused by poor design, and means the trailer is too rigid. If design is correct and the welds are in the proper location cracking is not a problem.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It certainly was a poor design because the guy had to load through the roller door.

The main door was unusable due the hinge issue.

People say that the rivets will allow enough 'natural' flexing/movement without breaking. The welds are to 'rigid' and crack before they give a little.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Well Sam, if you pick your new Wilson, I'm only 75 miles east.
Tell me when to start the coffee.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, get it started, I'll be there in an hour!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good mornin' Cowboy!

If it takes you an hour, it might be the third pot.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey, good morning Richard!

Actually it might a little longer than an hour. Gotta go do chores first...

Calling for ice pellets this morning on the forecast.

What the hell?!

Later!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Back to trailers Sam, the off road use is a good question.

Wilson, and the other major companies did not get that big by making junk.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.