Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Brad yes those plastic followers were not too bad and helped those quirky springs... wink

With that other rifle, that is one of 93 Trick Moves to make Classics feed LOL!

On my way to range to play with a pre 64 opened to 7 RM.... by Len Brownell. Think it'll work? shocked smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob, quit your bragging..... laugh.. Shoot some good groups for me.. Let us know if you have any failures of any kind with that rifle wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 5 digit stainless Classic. The rifle started life as a .300 Win. mag., which I had rebarreled to a .338 Win. mag. It is by far and away one the most positive CRF rifle I have ever encountered. At rest with the bolt to the rear, the nose of the follower in this rifle is above the rails and almost at the same elevation as the top of the feed ramp. It may not be technically correct, but it sure as hell works. CP.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sucks..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CP
I have a 5 digit stainless Classic. The rifle started life as a .300 Win. mag., which I had rebarreled to a .338 Win. mag. It is by far and away one the most positive CRF rifle I have ever encountered. At rest with the bolt to the rear, the nose of the follower in this rifle is above the rails and almost at the same elevation as the top of the feed ramp. It may not be technically correct, but it sure as hell works. CP.

Chris, your 338WM is one of my very favorite "Campfire Rifles."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Thanks for the replies. I am not at home so can't get pics right now. My follower is just above the rail and nowhere near the top of the feed ramp. It only seems like the front 1/2" to 1" of the follower is narrow enough to get above the rails. The rifle feeds ammo ok but seems the cycle with a "hitch"!! Not like greased sausages by any means!! My spring is not like your pics. I don't have that loop on the bottom leg at the back pof the magazine. My spring has a little dogleg bend on the bottom just behind where it slides into the floorplate.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had the exact thing happen with my 300 RUM and also with a 300 win mag. A spring tweak fixed both...
I will also say both fed rounds just fine. The only time you noticed it is when inserting the first round. the tip of the follower would hang up on the feed ramp/magbox juncture.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/14/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 264magnum

Thanks for the replies. I am not at home so can't get pics right now. My follower is just above the rail and nowhere near the top of the feed ramp. It only seems like the front 1/2" to 1" of the follower is narrow enough to get above the rails. The rifle feeds ammo ok but seems the cycle with a "hitch"!! Not like greased sausages by any means!! My spring is not like your pics. I don't have that loop on the bottom leg at the back pof the magazine. My spring has a little dogleg bend on the bottom just behind where it slides into the floorplate.

All the springs are a basic "Z" shape, in spite of the little "loop" in the magnum's spring... Bob and I are saying pull the top and bottom of the Z apart until the follower sits flat in the rails. You're essentially redistributing fore and aft pressure on the follower until it works. The USRAC springs aren't "spring" steel, and can be re-shaped with relative ease.

Ya just gotta play around with it a bit...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Brad... And you and your family be sure to have a merry Christmas. CP.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Are there any replacement springs available that are of higher quality and strength?

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by BobinNH
It would be good to hear from the OP about what exactly the rifle is doing. I have seen what he's talking about with the follower. he might need a new one.

Winchester/USRAC never got it completely straight when it came to followers, as evidenced by them using the type bsa shows in the photos,as well as a double dished variety that has those scooped out areas in the middle of the follower.They also produced some Classics with followers made of plastic.(?). It was a grab bag of lowest common denominator.

In any event, I had one last spring that did what the OP talks about;not popping out of the rails (which really does not mean much with a full magazine).But the back ends of the cartridges did not ride up parallel with the noses of the cartridges. The bolt would ride over the case head instead of picking the case up to feed.

It turned out to be a simple fix....I grabbed the follower spring at the top two "V" curves and gently, but firmly,bent them up with my hands. This had the immediate effect of making the follower ride up parallel in the box instead of tilting,and feeding was perfect thereafter.

Could I have over bent the spring and broken it(before some one asks)? Sure, who cares?...... it didn't work anyway.

This might not put me in the same class with Darcy Echols or Penrod when it comes to making a rifle feed right....but it worked fine after that and I could not make it jam or fail to feed.

Bob, I had a similar situation with a classic 338 WM with the bolt riding over the cartridges. I replaced the spring and follower with one of the new MOA rifles spring and follower and problem solved immediately.
To the OP. Yes I have seen what you describe. Replace them with the same setup above and that problem will disappear as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Are there any replacement springs available that are of higher quality and strength?

DD: I dunno....always worked with Winchester stuff for that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CP
Thanks Brad... And you and your family be sure to have a merry Christmas. CP.

You too Chris.

Merry Christmas.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pathfinder sometime just swapping out parts fixes everything.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Brownells sells a magnum spring that I have used with good luck. My current model 70 uses a spring out of a 1909 argentine mauser with excellant results.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 264magnum

Hello

I have an early 5 digit G series New Haven classic in 7mm Rem Mag. The gun is not 100% reliable with regards to feeding. I have a new spring ordered but was wondering about the follower. When you cycle the bolt with no rounds in it the follower dips at the rear and the front portion seems to get above the rails a little bit. It ends up on an angle so the bolt doesn't bind on it and just pushes it back down into place below the rails. Is this normal or is something wrong with the follower or receiver? The follower doesn't get way up above the rails but just a bit at the very front of the action. Thanks for any help.

Mine does the same thing. I started looking into the problem and IMO the magazine box needs bent out a little at the top where it's angled where the follower contacts the mag box and keeps it from rising up enough. If I understand your post correctly the center raised part of the follower is slightly above the rails but not the entire front of the follower.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,642
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.