Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Have a Savage model 111 in 257 Roberts. Switching to H4350, and at max load exceeded listed book velocities by 175 FPS, according to 3 different source books. Chrony gave repeat results for 2 other rifles I was double checking, no reason not to believe chrony. I know it usually takes a gross amount of excess pressure to show signs, and none were present. I am some say overly anal, and I know my scale is correct. Got 2954 FPS with Sierra 117 gr HPBT. I am not a speed demon, but kinda like the bonus velocity. Thoughts.....

Last edited by oldotter; 12/14/14.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Outside of a strain gage, velocity is the best indicator of pressure there is.

Last edited by bucktail; 12/14/14.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Are you using roberts or roberts +p load data?

Set them free again
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Mmmm, spicy! I wonder what your brass life will be. I don't have the where-with-all at the moment to do a rudimentary calculation, but, as bucktail was alluding to, or attempting to, I'm sure you're far past book pressure. It doesn't sound unsafe, but I wonder if brass life will suffer. The Roberts is not a high-pressure affair, so there is a lot of room between book max and 'dangerous'. A lot of room.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When I deal with a 'problem' like that, my solution is to load 5 pieces of brass, 5 times and keep an eye on the brass and primer pocket for any signs of problems...

if they don't show any and the 6th reloading still gives me a tight primer pocket, I call it good...

a Roberts is like a 6.5 Swede... American load data is pretty anemic....so in a modern rifle meant to take SAAMI spec pressures on other calibers...results will be a lot higher than the average guy may be use to...

I let the rifle and the brass tell me what that action likes, not some book giving out general info...rifle results have varied from books, in both directions... able to take a lot more than load data listed, or had issues with starting loads alone...

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by oldotter
Have a Savage model 111 in 257 Roberts. Switching to H4350, and at max load exceeded listed book velocities by 175 FPS, according to 3 different source books. Chrony gave repeat results for 2 other rifles I was double checking, no reason not to believe chrony. I know it usually takes a gross amount of excess pressure to show signs, and none were present. I am some say overly anal, and I know my scale is correct. Got 2954 FPS with Sierra 117 gr HPBT. I am not a speed demon, but kinda like the bonus velocity. Thoughts.....
.....................No reason for the concern. Your rifle is NOT anyone else's rifle, which include any test rifles used for the reloading manuals. As long as the accuracy meets your standards then fine.

As the 'ol saying goes....."Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."................ grin

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bucktail
Outside of a strain gage, velocity is the best indicator of velocity there is.

I agree with this. There is no "free" velocity, other than with additional barrel length.

If your rifle is generating higher velocity, then either the components or slight dimensional differences are likely responsible, but all else being equal, one rifle doesn't have higher velocity than another. If it's faster, then the pressure is higher, for whatever reason.

Components, like the rifles themselves, have a manufacturing tolerance, and if they "stack" in the right direction, you'll see an increase such as what is stated in the OP.

As noted, the Roberts is somewhat of a low-pressure round and the Savage is a strong action, so the additional velocity may not have you in "dangerous" territory.

Two examples come to mind in regards to exploring the action's strength, in this case the Marlin 336, and that would be the .35 Remington which can be safely loaded to gain 200 fps, and the .45-70, which can be loaded to a completely different level than the original load.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Are you using roberts or roberts +p load data?

All my manuals have only 257 Data. No +P data.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
So I looked up the roberts in a couple of different manuals plus the online one for Hogden. Most of them show at least 100 fps over book max with H4350 and a 117. The Speer had +p, but 120's and no 117, and IMR 4350 but no H4350. Book max was 2800 there. The one exception is the Hornady 5th edition. It had book max at 2900 for a 117 with H4350. I'd take that one with a grain of salt though. Their Roberts improved was slower than their Roberts with the same powder and bullet. If I couldn't find better +p data to support the velocity, I'd back it down. I wouldn't be overly concerned about it, but there's no animal in the world that will know the difference if you don't tell them.

Set them free again
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I wonder if a phone call to the guys at Hodgdon might help end the mystery...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Match their velocities, match their pressures. Exceed their velocities, exceed their pressures.

It's that simple.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So I looked up the roberts in a couple of different manuals plus the online one for Hogden. Most of them show at least 100 fps over book max with H4350 and a 117. The Speer had +p, but 120's and no 117, and IMR 4350 but no H4350. Book max was 2800 there. The one exception is the Hornady 5th edition. It had book max at 2900 for a 117 with H4350. I'd take that one with a grain of salt though. Their Roberts improved was slower than their Roberts with the same powder and bullet. If I couldn't find better +p data to support the velocity, I'd back it down. I wouldn't be overly concerned about it, but there's no animal in the world that will know the difference if you don't tell them.

Not uncommon for a like load to have less velocity in an AI. It has more space.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
oldotter,

As Seafire mentioned, most .257 loading data is anemic, and for no good reason other than that's the way Remington loaded the cartridge originally, because that's the level where Ned Roberts got the best accuracy with the bullets of the day. Even +P data isn't quite up to .30-06 SAAMI levels, which don't push any envelopes.

I usually load 115-117 grain bullets to 2900+ fps, and have had no problems others than with one lot of VERY soft Remington brass. With most Remington and all Winchester cases I expect 2900 or a little more.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have called hodgdon several and they have been very helpful and friendly. But i wish I could talk to them face to face. On pressure matters, with a T3 Lite 6.5x55, they wont give me anything more than what is published. I could tell the guy knew there is more to be had, and would have liked to share, but couldn't. I understand his position and would hate to be in it.Had same problem with reduced loads for 223 using SR-4759. Was trying to extrapolate 222 and 222mag data. They were very cautious but did sort of give me a wink and nod.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
oldotter,

As Seafire mentioned, most .257 loading data is anemic, and for no good reason other than that's the way Remington loaded the cartridge originally, because that's the level where Ned Roberts got the best accuracy with the bullets of the day. Even +P data isn't quite up to .30-06 SAAMI levels, which don't push any envelopes.

I usually load 115-117 grain bullets to 2900+ fps, and have had no problems others than with one lot of VERY soft Remington brass. With most Remington and all Winchester cases I expect 2900 or a little more.

This re-enforces what I thought. Knew the 257 Roberts had more potential, without compromising safety. Thanks MD / Seafire

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,011
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.