Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I saw one of these in what appeared to be pristine condition on the back of a trailer this last weekend..

I am not sure which version it was or whether is was in running order, but it was painted up to resemble a Vietnam era vehicle..

Out side of Military collectors/re-enactors, we don't see many in the UK and I have never seen one being driven on the public roads, never mind being used off road..

Just wondering if anybody here has any first hand experience with them perhaps while serving in the US Military?

Given that the MUTTs were of unibody construction and had independent suspension instead of the more usual rigid axles, I wondered how they stacked up against say a stock CJ5 or CJ7 off road?

I know the early MUTTS had a reputation for roll overs when driven on the highway, but more interested how they performed off road?

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
we had one attached to our Med Unit in the early 80s... when we use to have to go to camp, etc... we drew straws and the loser had to drive " the Jeep"....

ours was a low mileage rig, but was still a POS....used a quart of oil just parked in the parking lot for the week...

wee had a couple of 3/4 Dodges, one was a pick up version and the other had an ambulance box on the back... 78 Models... definitely a lot more reliable than "the Jeep"....

in Washington NG we had Gamma Goats...those were some pretty tough vehicles... we use to abuse the crap out of them and they never hiccupped...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My experience with the Gamma Goat is pretty limited and I've never driven one but I can say that it's a sad situation to have to wear ear muffs just to drive down the road. They HAD to have had some way to quiet those things down.

As far as the Jeep goes, with millions of civilian cars on the road with very adequate hot water heaters, why did the military have come up with that abortion of a noisy gas fired heater? I'm told that some did have water heaters but we never saw any of them.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Those Gamma Goats were so cool... especially the medical ones we had in the WA/NG....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I learned to drive a manual with one of these the first time I was in the Army. I got to 3rd ACR in late 87 and they still had them. Going off what I can remember I'd judge them about the equal of a stock CJ-5
I drove one all over NTC and it did fairly well.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was stationed at Fort Riley, KS, with the 1st ID (Mech) in the early 1980s, the engineer platoon assigned to our Infantry Battalion had M113s and a Gamma Goat for the Platoon Leader or Platoon Sergeant to haul logistics with. I always thought that they were a loud POS, always breaking down. Our support platoon had GOER ammo and fuel carriers, another break down prone POS. I left before they got upgraded to the Bradley IFVs and the HEMTT logistics vehicles.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.