-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Goodness gracious, Republicans are not anti-science. Rob has it right. There are sciences where you have empiricism, hypothesis/proof, repeatability. Those are "hard" sciences.
Then there are stacks of soft sciences where causal relationships are not subject to experimental control, like climate change. It's not like we have an effing "control" planet to run a series upon.
And then you have the Pew study -- if these guys are scientists, why in HE!! do they have ANY political affiliation at all...and why, when the cross section of the American public is center-right, academics are a complete, order of many standard deviations, outlier?
Sheesh.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Head in the sand, or just slow learners.

And by the way, very little of science is empirical...kinda shows your lack of the scientific process.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Head in the sand, or just slow learners.

And by the way, very little of science is empirical...kinda shows your lack of the scientific process.

Dumb-ass reply.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I doubt the validity of that 'poll'. I know a lot of scientists, both in Academia and industry. Many of them are staunch conservatives. Numbers far in excess of 6%.

I see true conservatism as being pretty far removed from the Republican party.
How do you see evolution and man-made climate change fitting into "true conservatism"?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BS what a load of crap this study should have been printed on TP..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can make a poll show any results you want.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
I doubt the validity of that 'poll'. I know a lot of scientists, both in Academia and industry. Many of them are staunch conservatives. Numbers far in excess of 6%.

I see true conservatism as being pretty far removed from the Republican party.
How do you see evolution and man-made climate change fitting into "true conservatism"?

I don't. I do see prudent management of lands and resources as true conservatism. I see fiscal responsibility as true conservatism. I see acting cautiously when things are unknown and "better safe than sorry" as a near definition of conservative. I don't see either party embodying those traits.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, forgie, you think the feds are doing a prudent job of "management" with their "science?"
Never mind the "precautionary principle" you allude to is right out of the conservation biology (itself an overtly political conflation) playbook of doing nothing, especially if doing something would be beneficial to human communities?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
I don't. I do see prudent management of lands and resources as true conservatism. I see fiscal responsibility as true conservatism. I see acting cautiously when things are unknown and "better safe than sorry" as a near definition of conservative. I don't see either party embodying those traits.
Hell, I couldn't have said it better.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RobJordan

The Republican Party is not hostile to science. Don't see an anti-science plank anywhere in their platform. What conservatives have tended to do is be skeptical of agenda driven "science" masquerading as empiricism. Libs, on the other hand, are quite content with that kind of shoddy work because it's in the service of their political agenda.
Republican "science" is 100% agenda driven, give me a break. Also their anti-evolution bent is further proof that Republicans care far more about votes than they do science.

Just watch Republicans in congress question people on the subject of climate change. It's like retards trying to relate to real people (retards being the Republicans).

Not that I favor the Democrats on the issue either.

Prove it.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LostHighway
My time in Pasadena with Cal Tech professors and graduate students who had passed their orals. And BTW they were from from all over the globe. There was not one who was right wing or conservative, not one was a government employee. The theory only "government scientist" are center/or left is complete hogwash.

Are you kidding? They had might as well be government employees. Goverment funding for Cal Tech - the primary source of their faculty/staff salaries - is MAJOR.

At CalTech - the largest federal agencies contributing to research are NASA, National Science Foundation, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Defense, and Department of Energy.[83] Caltech received $144 million in federal funding for the physical sciences, $40.8 million for the life sciences, $33.5 million for engineering, $14.4 million for environmental sciences, $7.16 million for computer sciences, and $1.97 million for mathematical sciences in 2008.
The Institute was awarded an all-time high funding of $357 million in 2009.[85] Active funding from the National Science Foundation Directorate of Mathematical and Physical Science (MPS) for Caltech stands at $343 million as of 2011, the highest for any educational institution in the nation, and higher than the total funds allocated to any state except California and New York.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
BTW, how in hell someone can be a gun lover and not be a conservative Republican is beyond me.

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the OP....

Read this. It supports the PRC findings and explains why. Excellent.

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by CCCC
My time in Pasadena with Cal Tech professors and graduate students who had passed their orals. And BTW they were from from all over the globe. There was not one who was right wing or conservative, not one was a government employee. The theory only "government scientist" are center/or left is complete hogwash.

Are you kidding? They had might as well be government employees. Goverment funding for Cal Tech - the primary source of their faculty/staff salaries - is MAJOR.

At CalTech - the largest federal agencies contributing to research are NASA, National Science Foundation, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Defense, and Department of Energy.[83] Caltech received $144 million in federal funding for the physical sciences, $40.8 million for the life sciences, $33.5 million for engineering, $14.4 million for environmental sciences, $7.16 million for computer sciences, and $1.97 million for mathematical sciences in 2008.
The Institute was awarded an all-time high funding of $357 million in 2009.[85] Active funding from the National Science Foundation Directorate of Mathematical and Physical Science (MPS) for Caltech stands at $343 million as of 2011, the highest for any educational institution in the nation, and higher than the total funds allocated to any state except California and New York.

"They had might as well be government employees". Not really. Can you claim you, anyone you know or any one here on this forum gave much thought to how your school was funded and it influenced your political leanings? Let's be realistic. No one at Cal Tech that I knew gave it any thought from the many conversations I had with them. Though there are examples in our history of the right smearing the left . Such as how right leaning Edward Teller threw Robert Oppenheimer under the bus during the cold war. "I have become death, destroyers of worlds" R. Oppenheimer after witnessing the first atomic explosion. Inspired by the Gita. The Gita lead to Oppenheimer teaching himself Sans Script. But that is for another day.

Last edited by LostHighway; 01/26/15.
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Dude your really starting to ramble on now.Smoke a joint and chill man. ED K

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of people seem to think that the words "republican" and "conservative" are synonymous. These days, those two terms seem to be mutually exclusive.

Stush
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MojoHand
For the OP....

Read this. It supports the PRC findings and explains why. Excellent.

[Linked Image]

Here's a good critique of Mooney's horse [bleep].

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2012/10/the_republica065781.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC

"They had might as well be government employees". Not really. Can you claim you, anyone you know or any one here on this forum gave much thought to how your school was funded and it influenced your political leanings? Let's be realistic. No one at Cal Tech that I knew gave it any thought from the many conversations I had with them. Though there are examples in our history of the right smearing the left . Such as how right leaning Edward Teller threw Robert Oppenheimer under the bus during the cold war. "I have become death, destroyers of worlds" R. Oppenheimer after witnessing the first atomic explosion. Inspired by the Gita. The Gita lead to Oppenheimer teaching himself Sans Script. But that is for another day.

Seems like you are babbling I never said that the funding of Cal Tech influenced the politics of those who studied there - I said that they might as well be a government run school because the Feds fund the place with grant money. If you think the "scientists" who work there are not on the government dole, and if you think they would be working "scientists" without that government grant money, you must be using wacky weed. I can't say that being on the government teat is certain to make a person a liberal democrat, but I can agree that much of human nature - even the nature of "scientists" - is that they will give allegiance and favor to the source of their boondoggles. That is the point someone else made earlier - seemed to prompt babble.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chris Mooney? Should be Moonbat.
Went to work at American Prospect (commie). Correspondent for Mother Jones (real credible there) and works at the Climate Desk, which is a collaboration of
The Atlantic, Center for Investigative Reporting, The Guardian, Grist, The Huffington Post, Mother Jones, Slate, and Wired.
Grist, Huffpo, Mojo and Slate are all vastly to the Left of the mainstream, and Atlantic has really gone to Pravda the last few years.
Funding for Climate Desk comes from Surdna Foundation, the Park Foundation, the Rosenthal Family Foundation, the Fidelity Charitable Trust, the Vanguard Charitable Trust, and Patagonia.

Park is a zillionairess who basically bankrolls the anti frackheads in the Marcellus. Surdna, Andrus family, more commie libtards, Patagonia -- Fidelity and Vanguard have huge operations as a pass through for anonymous giving.
Yeah, Mojo -- I can see you are really objective when it comes to your sources about science.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

432 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.