-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Can't wait till the next them the GOP or RNC call asking for dontations. I'm gonna raise my personal bar on profanity use...Way to Go Utah, South Carolina and Arizona....

Link..![/color][/b]

Lynch clears committee with three GOP votes

By Seung Min Kim

2/26/15 11:50 AM EST

Loretta Lynch cleared a key vote in the Senate Judiciary Committee Thursday in her bid to become the nation’s next attorney general, picking up support from three Republicans on the panel in favor of her confirmation.

The vote was 12-8.[b]The three Republicans who backed her nomination, along with all committee Democrats, were Orrin Hatch of Utah, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Jeff Flake of Arizona.

[color:#FF0000]The next battle is on the Senate floor, where the federal prosecutor from Brooklyn is still expected to have enough GOP backing to be confirmed. But the controversy over President Barack Obama’s executive actions on immigration have overshadowed her nomination – particularly after her confirmation hearing last month, where she testified that those unilateral moves are legal.

Most GOP senators on the committee stressed that they could not support someone to be the nation’s chief law enforcement official who believes that the executive actions – which Republicans uniformly oppose and say are unconstitutional – are legal.

“Ms. Lynch pledged to support executive amnesty … but it just doesn’t stop at that,” said Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), citing a range of issues from drone strikes to the Internal Revenue Service. “She has told us her views. Those views are radical. Those views undermine the rule of law.”

The committee’s chairman, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), announced Thursday that he would oppose Lynch because he believes she would not be sufficiently independent from Obama and the administration’s policies.

“I remain unconvinced she will lead the [Department of Justice] in a different direction,” he said. “Now, I’m confident that if she had demonstrated a little more independence from the president, she would’ve garnered a lot of support today.”

Democrats, meanwhile, have long demanded that the controversy over Obama’s executive actions – which could stop deportations for more than 4 million immigrants here illegally and grant them work permits – stay out of the attorney general battle.

“Loretta Lynch, a supremely qualified nominee for a vital national security and law enforcement post, should never have been pulled into the fray” over immigration, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said.

Those sweeping executive actions have been blocked by a federal judge in Texas. In a letter this week, Lynch told Flake, Hatch and Graham that she would abide by the current injunction on Obama’s executive actions “unless and until” they are lifted, Flake said.

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) invoked the issue of race and gender in regard to the nomination of Lynch, who would be the first black female attorney general if confirmed. He noted that near the 50th anniversary of the march in Selma, Ala., it was “fundamentally unfair” to reject Lynch because she agrees with Obama’s immigration policies.

That drew the ire of Republicans. Hatch, who has said for weeks that he would support Lynch, said Democrats’ insinuation of a so-called double standard on her nomination was an “offensive and patently false innuendo.”

Democrats have become impatient over the slow pace of Lynch’s nomination through the GOP-controlled Senate, noting that as of Thursday, her nomination has been pending for 110 days. However, Senate Democrats added to the time lag by pushing her confirmation to the new Congress instead of taking it up in the lame-duck session at the end of last year.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This makes me want to puke. The Republicans in the Senate need to state for the record that Obama's executive actions are blatantly unconstitutional and ANY nominee for any federal office who supports Obama's immigration actions will not be confirmed, end of story. The majority of Americans would stand up and applaud.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a surprise as all. The Rs are simply playing their part in a kabuki theater to keep the people entertained and divided while .gov rolls on doing exactly what it wants to regardless of the will of the people or the Constitution.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What 4ager said exactly.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) invoked the issue of race and gender in regard to the nomination of Lynch, who would be the first black female attorney general if confirmed. He noted that near the 50th anniversary of the march in Selma, Ala., it was “fundamentally unfair” to reject Lynch because she agrees with Obama’s immigration policies.

That drew the ire of Republicans. Hatch, who has said for weeks that he would support Lynch, said Democrats’ insinuation of a so-called double standard on her nomination was an “offensive and patently false innuendo.”

Yet he voted to confirm her??? WTF!

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the funny part of this, not that it is funny, is that i understand she was a classmatse of holder's wife.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
the funny part of this, not that it is funny, is that i understand she was a classmatse of holder's wife.

I've head that as well and understand they maybe good friends. I wonder what Flake was offered to go with her?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
bastards/

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was anyone waiting for them to clear a good liberal nomination?

Wonder what the next nominee would have been?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Can't wait till the next them the GOP or RNC call asking for donations. I'm gonna raise my personal bar on profanity use...Way to Go Utah, South Carolina and Arizona....

[b][color:#3333FF]Link..![/color][/b]

Lynch clears committee with three GOP votes

I don't like ANY of Ø's appointments, now or in the past, Holder most of all.

However, the President should have the right to pick his cabinet the way they see fit. Congress should only object in extreme circumstances. That is the Spoils System. The winner gets his people to do his thing, be it Reagan or Øbama. That emphasizes that elections count and you not only get the President but ALL of his people to do his thing.

That means those that thought there is no difference between Romney and Obama have to also say there is no difference in the people that they'd appoint to run the country.

It also makes elections count because you count on the Congress or Supreme Court to strike something down (Obama care, anyone).

So this means Obama is entitled to his people, and I'm entitled to try to get something better in 2016.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Orin Hatch is the greatest fraud in the history of Utah politics. He's no conservative---but has made a career (and alot of money) convincing ignorant Utahns that simply because he is a "good" Mormon, he's a good conservative too. Utterly false. Utahns had a good chance to unseat him with a rock-solid conservative entrepeneur candidate a few years ago but the guy lost. Shame. Orin Hatch is "Exhibit A" of what is wrong with the "leadership" in the Republican Senate. He treats his job as his personal sinecure and is a master of deceiving his true agenda. Guy is a complete, out-and-out fraud who is way, way past his prime.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PJGunner

I've head that as well and understand they maybe good friends. I wonder what Flake was offered to go with her?
Paul B.

Lynch and Holder's wife have been extremely close friends since law school.

Equally to the point of whether she is an appropriate AG, she has been a formal advisor to Eric Holder during his tenure as AG.

In my opinion, that means that she was involved in advising him on or supporting his decisions re Fast & Furious, IRS targeting of conservative groups, interference with various state law cases like Zimmerman's and Ferguson, voter ID laws, immigration law non-enforcement, et al.

It is a very sorry picture.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once you get over the fact that government, in this day, only exists to serve itself and those who pay for it...you'll be fine. Take a deep breath.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And you're surprised by this???

GOP is just another way to spell DEM..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I just can't WAIT for the next call from the repubican party asking for money...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by PJGunner

Paul B.

They were at Harvard Law School together. Holder's wife started the 1st, exclusive black gal sorority with herself and Lynch as the only members. With her confirmation, away goes any and all hope of ever nailing Holder for his past deeds.

But the repubs will rollover and open our legs again.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.