Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
was watering my Super fetish tonite and came across this 24hr RJM thread--worth another look...:)

Supers

Bob, did you have a trigger job done for the Talo?

Appreciate it,
tom

Defend the Constitution
GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..yes...local guy who was an Army Reserve Armorer for 20 years...came out at 3.19#..it is one of the lighter ones I have.

There are now three barrels in the TALO. The original that is match tight, a second .38 Super barrel from a friend's XSE Commander that was match tight and opened up to 9x23 Winchester and a KART 9mm barrel.

The XSE barrel solved the problem of shooting all the rounds with bulged brass. That said I have since bought a Lee die from EGW that puts the Super brass back to factory specs...wish I had know about them long ago...

The 9mm barrel just needed a little fitting and now runs 100%...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
The factory crimp die?

Defend the Constitution
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...no but I use one of them also....

This is the die available only from EGW....

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=839

T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thank-you Bob

Daughter and future son-in-law visiting this week, in from CO. She announced her desire that she and Luke should start shooting pistol at a range together.

Will keep the Super under wraps for a while...the cool stuff has tended to migrate in a westerly direction lately...

Am a sucker for Colts sporting deep blue or black slides & lighter grips--preferably ivory...:)

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...well this blue with ebony and ivory...

1952 Commander...carried daily from 1980-2007...

[Linked Image]

1960s vintage Super with carved Indian elephant ivory...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My first Super...also ebony and ivory...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...good luck with your quest....

Bob

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You're gonna have to change your 24HR handle to "Super Bob" grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
Mark...a single stack .22 TCM conversion is coming this summer so if one did it right one can have one frame, four slides slides and up to about 14 calibers...

Bob
It's the small block Chevy of handguns.

But you need to start with a .38 Super/9mm frame or switch to ramped barrels. I personally think the ramped barrel is THE way to go if you're going to do a lot of caliber swapping.

Last edited by GunGeek; 03/05/15.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I agree with having ramped barrels, the major drawback being expense. Unless you buy a base gun with a ramped barrel, like a Kimber Stainless Target II, one then has to have a very competent smith mill the frame. Then price ramped vs. non-ramped barrels...

I have not found any major drawbacks to non-ramped 1911s...ramped is nice but expensive.

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting that the thread morphed into conversions. smile

Random comments:

The .400 Corbon is a .45 ACP case necked to .40 cal, so you need a .45 ACP slide & extractor.

The 9x25 Dillon is a 10mm case necked to 9mm, so it could work with .40/10mm slides.

I had a .40 S&W Double Eagle for a while. After I fixed spring & extractor problems, I noted that it fed better using regular 10mm magazines, as opposed to the shorter .40 cal mags - so you might try std 10mm mags with the .357 Sig.

I was told years ago that 9mm & .45 Colt Commanders share the same ejector and frame ramp, so one can theoretically just swap top ends & slide stops. This Commander:

[Linked Image]

came to me as a parts gun in .45 ACP. I found a 9mm slide, fitted a 9mm barrel, and it ran perfectly fine.

I prefer ramped barrels in frisky calibers:

[Linked Image]

blush grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager
The .38 Super is, for all intents and purposes, a .357 Magnum. The .357 is still king of one-shot stop data.

Imagine a .357 Sig with a straight-wall case for the 1911. That's the Super and it was the "Sig" 65 years before the Sig came out.
I didn't think you put any stock in the "One Shot Stop" data. I haven't seen a compilation for a number of years. The last that I knew of had the 40 S&W as tops, having eclipsed the 357 Mag. after that round had been the top stopper for a number of years. Not nearly as much data existed for the Super or 10, IIRC. Those are specific loads though and not some summation of the whole cartridge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My RIA 10mm has a ramped barrel, one of the reasons I am not afraid of my orignal spec level loadings. So, getting additional hot rod rounds for that frame sounds like a good way to go.

Please tell me more about this 9x25 Dillon! Sounds like an awesome additional barrel for my ramped already 10mm.

Faster than the 357 Magnum, even? If so, me likey!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just looked it up and answered the question from above. Yes, significantly faster than even the mighty 357 Magnum with the lighter bullets. 115's at 1800fps!

I am guessing that these rounds would be a tad.... ummm...

LOUD!

Though

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9725mm_Dillon

Impressive

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Never really interested until my son sent me a line on a Tanfoglio Match Target...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Does he compete?

My interest goes back to reading outdoor rags in the barber shop...the kind where your mom used to drop you off and ask "how long" from the comfort of the threshold...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
I am totally enjoying this thread! A 38 Super 1911 will be on my short list of guns to aquire when I am back in an aquisition mode, for sure.

How does the 38 Super stack up with other rounds for one shot stops etc? Anyone have data or such for it? With the right bullets, it seems to be it should be right there with the 357Magnum 125gr loads which were considered pretty effective for a long time. If Hornaday were to make a Critical Duty load for it, that one would have to be a pretty snappy and capable loading, one would assume.
One stop shot is a complete myth. That's one of the big reasons that the FBI is going back to the 9mm. Data has shown that it's very rare that one shot actually ends a fight, and often not even two shots end the fight. So they feel since all common combat handgun cartridges are having mostly the same effect (meaning, regardless of cartridge, you still have to shoot multiple times), having more ammo in the magazine is much more important than what cartridge is in the magazine. And even though I carry a single column magazine gun, I can't really find much flaw with their conclusions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
I agree with having ramped barrels, the major drawback being expense. Unless you buy a base gun with a ramped barrel, like a Kimber Stainless Target II, one then has to have a very competent smith mill the frame. Then price ramped vs. non-ramped barrels...

I have not found any major drawbacks to non-ramped 1911s...ramped is nice but expensive.

Bob
If you start with a 9mm/Super frame, then it all works. If you start with a .45 frame, when you get the 9mm/.38 Super barrels, often the barrel with over-hang the frame at the feed ramp by a thousandth or two. One way to get around that is to cut the little dimple like Colt's been doing with some of their new guns, but that's not always a sure fire solution. Best to just start with the .38 Super feed ramp, the you can make it all work much easier.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.