Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Good job! Don't tempt your self by trying just one. I quit 4 years ago after more than 40 yrs a smoker. At my last physical my blood oxygen was 98%. Replace cigs w/ exercise and you will be a happy man.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
And now I can't stand to smell a cigarette burning.

That's when I knew I was over the hump,

Well done bud.

I worked in a three man shop with three chain smokers when I quit. Then I went home to four chain smokers. I quit cold turkey, gave away half a carton and my Zippo on the way home. Today other people smoking does not bother me or make me want to go back.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
First 2 weeks were really tough and I craved it badly. My Doc claimed it is almost as addicting as heroin. Don't think it's probably as bad as drugs, but it was sure no fun.

I think I got it whipped now!

You haven't really quit if you're doing the e cig thing. It's the nicotine that's addicting. what do think is in the e cig?

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To those that have recently quit, or are trying to quit, I will share some thoughts from my own experience in hope they may be helpful to some. I want to point out that everybody's experience can be different.

To those who say that they quit cold turkey with no problem at all, and never had a single craving, well they are lucky SOBs, and I say Good For You, and/or GFY, whichever is appropriate, because it doesn't work that way for most of us.

For many people, quitting smoking is the hardest thing they have done in their lives, and that should be recognized.

In addition to the physical addiction of the nicotine, there are also many sub-conscious reasons that people smoke. For some few, quitting tobacco completely really is very close to impossible, without replacing it with something even worse.

Personally, I replaced cigarettes with Skoal many years ago, which was hard enough. But then I found it extremely hard to kick the Skoal.

Stack the odds in your favor when you do quit. I was able to quit for good when I had a major surgery (Hint).

You have to have the proper mindset. Decide that you aren't going to "try" to quit. Be confident that you ARE going to quit. When some smokers make half-hearted attempts to quit and keep starting up again, we call that "practicing quitting". That pattern makes it a lot harder to ever quit for good.

Suggestions: Get a Dr's help if you want, but don't expect a miracle. Try to plan a definite date to quit ahead of time. Don't pick a real high-stress time like a move or a new job unless you have thought it out real well. A change in environment or activity pattern does help, though.

DO take advantage of a change in your "personal" environment, like replacing the old chair where you always sit and smoke, or a change in the home like new carpet, or a bigger TV, or even getting a new personal vehicle. Maybe even buy that motorcycle you have been wanting. You get the idea.

Get the support of your wife or friends. It is harder to quit if you are surrounded by smokers. Take a walk when you need fresh air. Carry a walking stick, perhaps, to give your hands something to do.

Reward yourself. Plan a few hours ahead to have an ice cream sundae, or to go see a movie above and beyond what you would normally do. Let yourself have that bag of popcorn that you usually skip, if it appeals to you.

As someone said, your appetite will improve, and your mouth will want something in it. Don't worry. A few extra pounds is an excellent tradeoff to quit smoking.

I still have occasional cravings. I suppose I always will. I sometimes enjoy the smell of second hand smoke, sometimes not.

The first day is the hardest. The first few days are very hard, for most, but within a week every day gets a little easier. Then after a month you will get very confident, and you will sit down for a drink with an old smoking buddy, and your brain will say "Go ahead, bum one of Joe's cigarettes. You can enjoy just one. You deserve it."

DON'T DO IT. When you are tempted to light one up, remind yourself very firmly why you quit in the first place. If you do restart after a month you will really regret it. And the next time you quit you will have to be quit for over a whole month just to see if you can get past that point in time again.

Looking back you will realize that after the first several days you had it made. Start thinking of yourself as an ex-smoker from day one. Tell yourself that every day and you will get the strength to carry on, tobacco-free.

Don't be discouraged by the guy that says he quit and it was easy. That makes you feel that you are different and that you may not be able to quit because it is harder for you.

Oh, and after you have quit for good, don't turn into one of those azzhat ex-smokers that thinks he is better than everybody else, and that makes stupid comments to smokers.

Most all of us are trying to do the best we can with what we have, and we need to be supportive of each other. As someone said, we all feel like we are standing on one foot in the sand much of the time, so let's help each other out as much as we can.

Now, everybody have a good day.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for all the encouragement from fellow Fire Members! I never thought I could do it!!!
I'm thinking I ought to be able to buy at least a couple of really nice new guns a year, with all the money I will be saving not buying 2 packs of Marboros a day.

Absolutely you will!

And the part about sense of smell getting better and tasting your food more is definitely true, also!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I saw Yul Brenner (in NYC) about 60 days before he died in "The King and I". He was great but tired. Smoking kills.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
October 20th, 2013 for me after 42 years. Cold turkey..

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Good on ya! I never smoked. Well, I take that back; my maternal Grandfather let me puff on his Camel (non-filtered) when I was about 6 or 7 and that was enough to last me forever.

My wife was a smoker when we met but quit six years later when she was expecting our first child. She had a short relapse about five years later when I was on cruise for four months but hasn't touched one since.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by wildbill59
First 2 weeks were really tough and I craved it badly. My Doc claimed it is almost as addicting as heroin. Don't think it's probably as bad as drugs, but it was sure no fun.

You haven't really quit if you're doing the e cig thing. It's the nicotine that's addicting. what do think is in the e cig?

With all due respect.......you are wrong. nicotine really isn't the addicting part, it is all the other crap and chemicals that go into a pack of smokes.

When I switched from cigs to an e-cig, I had the worst effing headache I have ever had, and it lasted about 3 weeks. Don't get me wrong I am not saying nicotine is good for you, but in reality it really isn't as bad as the other crap in the cigs.

My point is if it helps people quit......then just STFU. People are grumpy enough when they quit smoking.

And yes the smell of a freshly lit cig still smells great to me.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bubbajay
Originally Posted by wildbill59

With all due respect.......you are wrong. nicotine really isn't the addicting part, it is all the other crap and chemicals that go into a pack of smokes.

When I switched from cigs to an e-cig, I had the worst effing headache I have ever had, and it lasted about 3 weeks. Don't get me wrong I am not saying nicotine is good for you, but in reality it really isn't as bad as the other crap in the cigs.

My point is if it helps people quit......then just STFU. People are grumpy enough when they quit smoking.

And yes the smell of a freshly lit cig still smells great to me.

Really? You believe nicotine isn't addicting? You're tell me to STFU? You're the fing idiot bud.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I used to walk a mile for a Camel - about 40 years ago.

> http://www.beavercoveart.com/1968WalkS.jpg <

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I did the e-cig thing as well.....I got a bunch of encouragement, and advice from another campfire member, Brother Bart, not only just encouraging me to give it try.....but when I was really wanting to have a regular cig...he called me a dumbass for wanting to go back after a month or so away from my marlboro's

I still puff on the e-cig from time to time....but I don't need to go out for a smoke every hour or so...

Come on Bubba... I didn't call you a dumb ass(did I?),I was the guy that got through your thick scull and made you realize that you were an X-smoker.
Vaping ain't smoking.
And to anyone else that wants to chunk the cigarettes away,start vaping. You'll be an x-smoker before you know it.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
With all due respect WildBill,
Bubba's right

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

387 members (1_deuce, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 11point, 56 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.