Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
J

- How'd this sneak in? sick grin

[Linked Image]

Thats just ooozing with testosterone and sex appeal.

Whop, whop, whop, whop...unmistakable sound smile

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
J

- How'd this sneak in? sick grin

[Linked Image]

Thats just ooozing with testosterone and sex appeal.

The hovering fire wagon was always a welcome sight especially when declaring an emergency..While providing air support for an LZ we had our #2 shot up by ground fire and limped home...these guys were on us practically when the rubber hit the road which is a great feeling as fire was always bad cinema.

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Doc originally all Phantoms were built for the Squid AF.The T-hook was of course a key air frame component for carrier ops and was still in play as more F-4's went to land based USAF squadrons in Thailand and S. Vietnam.It was a great emergency tool for brake or parachute issues,hung ordinance, hydraulic and possible gear malfunctions..

Out of frame was a capture barrier which could also be employed should the wire attempt fail. Wasn't an everyday occurrence of course but employed more than one would think as the AF variants were weak in the knees compared to their Navy cousins.

In theory an AF bird could land on a carrier..but certainly not practical for a host of reasons!

I'm sure someone. will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the Air Force Phantoms had the beefed up landing gear of our Navy variants. The hook is the same and it saved my, and my RIO's butts, and a jet when a nose tire blew up in the wheel well, jamming the controls. Had to land that sucker at 190 kts and take the mid-field (of three) arresting gear at MCAS Iwakuni. Our Marine buddies did a few repairs in the wheel well and we "stiff legged" it back to Atsugi the next day.

A guy in my squadron on the USS Midway had a REALLY HARD landing on a pitching deck (he was coming down as the deck was going up) and essentially broke the right wing all the way around about four feet from the fuselage. The only thing holding the wing on was the wing tank and fuel/hydraulic lines in the wing. As far as the landing gear and tires go, they were intact. Fortunately, they trapped. If they had "boltered" they would have died.

The hook points are replaceable and our troubleshooters got the one from my 100th night landing on "Ma Midway" and gave it to me. The hook point alone probably weighs 15 lbs!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Doc originally all Phantoms were built for the Squid AF.The T-hook was of course a key air frame component for carrier ops and was still in play as more F-4's went to land based USAF squadrons in Thailand and S. Vietnam.It was a great emergency tool for brake or parachute issues,hung ordinance, hydraulic and possible gear malfunctions..

Out of frame was a capture barrier which could also be employed should the wire attempt fail. Wasn't an everyday occurrence of course but employed more than one would think as the AF variants were weak in the knees compared to their Navy cousins.

In theory an AF bird could land on a carrier..but certainly not practical for a host of reasons!

I'm sure someone. will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the Air Force Phantoms had the beefed up landing gear of our Navy variants. The hook is the same and it saved my, and my RIO's butts, and a jet when a nose tire blew up in the wheel well, jamming the controls. Had to land that sucker at 190 kts and take the mid-field (of three) arresting gear at MCAS Iwakuni. Our Marine buddies did a few repairs in the wheel well and we "stiff legged" it back to Atsugi the next day.

A guy in my squadron on the USS Midway had a REALLY HARD landing on a pitching deck (he was coming down as the deck was going up) and essentially broke the right wing all the way around about four feet from the fuselage. The only thing holding the wing on was the wing tank and fuel/hydraulic lines in the wing. As far as the landing gear and tires go, they were intact. Fortunately, they trapped. If they had "boltered" they would have died.

The hook points are replaceable and our troubleshooters got the one from my 100th night landing on "Ma Midway" and gave it to me. The hook point alone probably weighs 15 lbs!

Rog on the gear.. I touched on that from the highlighted post above..

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Navy landing gear is crazy strong. I for one am grateful for that. Took a really hard landing once where both main struts completely compressed, tires compressed (yes, even with the boat pressure of 375psi IIRC) and a couple inches was shaved off both ventral fins. My back hurt for a couple weeks. Last I saw the vsi was going up past ~1500FPM. Ouch... Jet flew the next day. Yet one of many days I appreciated Grumman engineers.

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by T Bone
Here is a pic of my Dad after being recovered.

[Linked Image]

One of the coolest pics EVER on the 'fire!! Thanks for sharing.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[Linked Image]

now there is a rare Chopper...

anyone able to identify that one?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
IMO what makes or breaks a fighter is the pilots. If a pilot knows how to get the best from his bird and refuses to fight his opponents fight he can prevail. The truth of the F-4 and F-14 is they were intended to be used for fleet defense and intercept Russian bombers before they could fire missiles on the fleet. It was proven they could do more and well. Congress combined the F-4 design for USN/USMC & USAF use. The same airframe intended for different missions. Just because you can remove the trunk lid from a Caddy doesn't make it a pickup truck. The F-111 was intended to replace he F-150 as a tactical nuclear/interdiction fighter bomber hence the bomb bay. It was a very fast A-6. IMO the F-8 upgraded with a J-75 engine and some other improvements would have been one of the most Sierra Hotel fighters of all time.

Regretably the Navy turned down that upgrade of the Crusader. Another "what if"...

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Very cool jet for sure, Pete. If I recall, the Buccaneer had a rotary bomb bay as well. Loved the video. Even in my slow Viking, we could routinely kick Aegis Cruiser ass. Just keep below the radar horizon, pick them up outside missile range, drop to the deck, pop up at 60NM or so for target refinement then Harpoon release~50NM, way before they got any radar paint on us. Anyway, great video of a VERY COOL jet!.

I think they did have the rotary bomb bays..

That form of attack works well as the RN found out to their cost during the Falklands War..We were just plain lucky that the Junta made their move before their air force had a decent inventory of Exocets or the planes to equipped to fire them.

Was reading an interesting account the other day speculating whether the Chileans allowed Nimrods and/or Canberra PR9's to operate from Chilean airfields. We gave them a couple PR9's at the end of the war for buttons so I tend to think we were saying "Thank You" for something tangible.

I know we did supply them with a powerful ground based radar and trained them how to operate it, and in return, they provided virtually real time info on raids departing from the Argentina's southern airfields...maybe in a few more years, the rest of the story will come out...

Argentina and Chile consider each other to be military adversaries. I'm sure Chile, for consideration, was happy to assist in the Brits humiliating Argentina over the Falklands/Malvinas

Last edited by idahoguy101; 04/08/15.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
IMO what makes or breaks a fighter is the pilots.
So true..

Chuck Yeager proved that to another jock one day.. Both took off and Yeager waxed him good.. They switched planes and took off again, only to have Yeager wax him again..

I think the guy was at first pizzed... laugh laugh

IIRC it was an F-86 versus captured Mig-15 duel

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Seafire
[Linked Image]

I cannot identify it but I saw it in use at CAFB Mississippi late 60s-early70s. Only safe way to approach it on ground was head on. I'm sure Rocky Raab can tell you about them.

Last edited by websterparish47; 04/08/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Kaman HH-43 Huskie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaman_HH-43_Huskie)

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Houston we have a problem..

[Linked Image]

Pardon my ignorance, but I wasn't aware that any but Navy jets used tailhooks... care to comment further?

The century series fighters had tail hooks installed as a mod. Many were just like a leaf spring with the tail hook shoe help up by a latch that was solenoid controlled. The F-111s had a hydraulic operated tail hook that would extend by pilot control but maintenance had to raise it back up. The F-4s and A-7s were Navy designs and had the same tail hooks in all branches. The F-4 tail hooks were called "crew chief killers" because of their location and height on the plane. One "urban myth" about the F-105 was a pilot took the barrier in Thailand and it ripped the aft section of the plane off. Keep in mind many single engine planes back then had the aft section removed to replace the engine.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pugs
[Linked Image]

Kaman HH-43 Huskie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaman_HH-43_Huskie)

We have a winner...

growing up around AFBases, I saw a lot of these used, particularly when the fire equipment came out when a plane went down upon landing or had a rough landing/belly landing..

I think the first Model Aircraft I ever built was a model of one of these.. I think Lindberg made them in the 60s...I was about 10 or so...

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,959 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.