Print Thread
Hop To
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
desire husband rule Question: "How is a woman’s desire for her husband a curse (Genesis 3:16)?"

Answer: As God pronounces judgment on Eve for her part of the transgression in Eden, He says, “Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you” (Genesis 3:16). This verse causes some puzzlement. It would seem that a woman desiring her husband would be a good thing, and not a curse.

The Hebrew phrase in question does not include a verb and is literally translated “toward your husband your desire.” Since this judgment is predictive, the future tense verb “will be” is added for clarity: “Your desire will be for your husband.” The most basic and straightforward understanding of this verse is that woman and man would now have ongoing conflict. In contrast to the ideal conditions in the Garden of Eden and the harmony between Adam and Eve, their relationship, from that point on, would include a power struggle. The NLT translation makes it more evident: “You will desire to control your husband, but he will rule over you.”

God is saying that Eve would desire to rule over her husband, but her husband would instead rule over her. Replacing the mutually interdependent relationship the Lord had created was a desire for one spouse to lead the other. Sin had wrought discord. The battle of the sexes had begun. Both man and woman would now seek the upper hand in marriage. The man who was to lovingly care for and nurture his wife would now seek to rule her, and the wife would desire to wrest control from her husband.

It is important to note that this judgment only states what will take place. God says that man and woman will live in conflict and their relationship will become problematic. The statement “he shall rule over you” is not a biblical command for men to dominate women.

In the New Testament, God affirms His ideal relationship between man and woman in marriage. Christ-like qualities are emphasized. What the curse of sin created, believers in Christ are called to correct by living according to God’s Spirit. Ephesians 5: says that the wife should willingly submit to her husband’s authority in the home, in essence, refusing to scratch the curse-fueled itch to seize control (verses 22-24). Husbands are to love their wives unconditionally and sacrificially, just as Christ loves the Church (verses 25-30). The whole passage begins with an emphasis on mutual submission to one another: “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ” (verse 21).

From the beginning, God’s focus has been love and respect between husband and wife. Though sin has tainted the original beauty of this relationship, God commands believers in Christ to pursue this ideal relationship between husband and wife, an ideal perfectly illustrated in Christ’s relationship with the Church.

Recommended Resources: Genesis - NIV Application Commentary by John Walton and Logos Bible Software.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/desire-husband-rule.html#ixzz3Vn2KgwMh

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
well that will sure stir the freaking pot this morning. laugh

Sam......

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mann, I was surprised to hear that was the meaning of the word when used as a curse this AM on a radio worship service So decided to look it up.

This is from Strongs concordance concerning different uses of the word "desire" depending on the context. The enitre explanation can be found under the same word in Strongs Concordance.

In this verse sin is described in animal terms—like a lion or tiger hiding by a door… It is out to get you by dominating you.

Keeping that in mind, we can go back to Genesis 3 where God tells the woman, “Your desire shall be for your husband.” What we see is that God is not referring to a good sexual desire, but about that bad, sinful desire, just like in his warning to Cain. A woman’s desire shall be to dominate her husband just like sin seeks to dominate all of us… It should not be lost on us that this is exactly what happened when man fell—the woman was led by a creature and the man was led by his wife.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Following are other examples of meanings of the word.

n an effort to understand what is meant by “desire,” Tim first identifies passages which include the word but weeds out those which do not use it in the same way:

What is this desire? Some have taught that this is a kind of sexual desire… These people look to Song of Solomon where this word desire is used; there the woman says, “I am my beloved’s, and his desire is for me.” That does speak of a kind of longing, a kind of sexual desire. But this hardly sounds like a consequence for sin. Quite the opposite is true. A woman who feels sexual desire for her husband is blessed by God. This is a good desire, a desire a woman should long to have. So what else can it mean?

Last edited by eyeball; 03/29/15.

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
So, now we know the origin of the desire for women to try to advise and rule over men. A curse to woman for Eve submitting to Satan and a curse on man for Adam having let her. His sin was in letting her have her way and submitting to her rather than in doing His bidding and being the ruler of the family.

Thid was the first instance of Satan causing discord and damage to the family, an institution of God he continues his relentless attack on.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Some folks take things too literally at times.

Like Man ruling over Woman.

We are even in our relationship here. I"m glad its that way and it works out very well.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Parents who love their children rule of them? Is that loving rule a bad thing?

God loves us. Is His rule over us a bad thing? Is His chasing after and chastizing His a bad thing?

I ruled over my GSP, to keep her off the highway and out of the momma cows and off rattlers and porkey pines. God how i loved that dog, but not as much as i do my wife. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This all good but, for a man to be the kind of man the woman will freely and unconditionally submit to can be a very tough thing for any man to achieve.

I'd like to think I'm there but I occasionally get reminded I'm not and more work on myself is needed.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by eyeball
desire husband rule Question: "How is a woman’s desire for her husband a curse (Genesis 3:16)?"

Answer: “Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you” (Genesis 3:16).

yea, tell my wife this

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
So if you submit enough you will satisfy her and Him? I have heard in many cases that does not lead to bliss, as in the case of Adam.

Rost, it is also apparent that many women have broken that curse and arent compelled to always just trying to help by telling and advising and admonishing and coercing and blackmailing a man in what she can plainly see is the best and only intelligent thing to do. grin

IC B3

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bea175

Answer: “Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you” (Genesis 3:16).

yea, tell my wife this

Maybe those who do as the Lord says do "desire" in the good way, while others set free by modern ways "desire" in the cursed way?

Maybe thats a command and we all know how well those fly.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So if you submit enough you will satisfy her and Him? I have heard in many cases that does not lead to bliss, as in the case of Adam.

Rost, it is also apparent that many women have broken that curse and arent compelled to always just trying to help by telling and advising and admonishing and coercing and blackmailing a man in what she can plainly see is the best and only intelligent thing to do. grin

We work together. For her work, my work and our work. If we can do it alone, we do, if we need help we help each other. And there are certain things she does because I do others.

She does not tell me what to do, IE command me, she'll ask, and or put a note out about something needs doing she can't. She is always attempting to help with that, or ask if I need help(I'm an only child and growing up as such I don't need help as much as many do, I"ve learned over the years how to get by, by myself)

If I'm going to wokr on the boat, deer blind, whatever, I go do that, she asks if I need help... and if so she does.

For what I do for her, she mows all the yards and weedeats, washes dishes since she doesn't like to cook, and will cut trees, limbs etc...

For however it works for otehrs, we like how it works here and I seriously doubt that God has an issue with me not telling her what to do. I could be wrong and if so, its not the first time as I was born as a sinner.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Rost, I figured as much. Some presume the man being the head of the family require he be mean and order the wife around. Not what im saying.

As man is to be head of the house as God is the head of the husband. Does that make Him mean?

The Bible says the woman is to have her head covered and also says the head of the woman is the man. It also says He is the head of the man.

The Lord is the head of the church. Is He mean or hateful to the church He gave his life for?

If a man loves his wife as much as himself as he is supposed to do, is he going to demand that which is bad for her (or his child) or for her to sin against God?

I posted this thread to reveal the meaning of some scripture i felt enlightened about from a radio church service i heard this morning, not to tell anyone what to do about anything.

However, the sermon revealed to me that a husband knuckeling under to keep peace is not what He expects of husbands, as that can lead to husbands submitting to wives rather than Him.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"You will continue to have desire toward your husband, and yes, he will continue to rule over you." God didn't change the rules of the game, He simply reiterated/reaffirmed them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

The NLT translation makes it more evident: “You will desire to control your husband, but he will rule over you.”

God is saying that Eve would desire to rule over her husband, but her husband would instead rule over her.

for anyone that doubts the rendering of this passage in this way, consider what the Lord told Cain in chapter 4.
Gen 45:5-7 Abel, on his part also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of their fat portions. And the Lord had regard for Abel and for his offering; 5 but for Cain and for his offering He had no regard. So Cain became very angry and his countenance fell. 6 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it.”

Satan desires to control you. He has no desire (good desire) for you, but to control you. Cain is told to control "his sin" or it will control him.

Same phrasology. And properly translated is "the woman's desire is to control her husband, but he will control her."

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Amen.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
sometimes the husband bows, sometimes the wife bows. Both bow to the Lord.

Pretty simple.

And I"m not contradicting you either. I get what you are saying.

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
So what is the husband to do when the Lord told him to do as He instructed him to do in a certain matter and the wife has gotten used to him bowing to her when she really wants to do something, wich as i percieved from the service this AM is what happend when satan told Eve that God didnt want her to eat of the foubidden fruit as God didnt want her eyes opened to see or understand certain things as God did? Adam went along to get along and then he also partook of the forbideen fruit Eve offered to him. Satan was too smart to approach Adam about what He wanted to do so he seduced Eve, much as modern society and womens liberation do of christian women today.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.