Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
No time like the present. I always look for them and some nice ones pop up from time to time. A nice 243FWT and a 270FWT are on their way here.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns
Three barrels later. That's a lot of beer.

smile

I may just be enabling an addictive need for more Model 70s as there is notion flickering around in the back of my mind that after the current one is all refinished and stock and action reunited..... one could acquire yet another with a beat up stock and then have the synthetic to put on it while the other is being prettied up.

That's exactly the kind of thinking that fast becomes "just another good idea" when you spend much time on the Win. Forum. I don't think I have much room to talk though. Last fall I didn't have any pre-64s and after a little time on here decided to get one to see what all the buzz was about. Four and a half months later I am the proud owner of 3 '50s fwts. and can feel #4 nipping at my azz. On the up side, they're usually just like money in the bank and if you're reasonably careful you won't get hurt and in a lot of cases can come out ahead down the road. Can't say that about most addictions:)
John

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm with you john. In 4 months here I have gotten two from here and in the last 8 months 9 total. I'll be looking at a nice 7MM this weekend and then the run will be over.....except for another one possibly from here smile

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Most surely--not the worst addiction.

smile

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
If you go online to Jack First Guns, you can order a repro rubber buttplate which is indistinguishable from the original. As far as refinishing goes, it's just about essential - the original was just varnish.

I would steel wool the remnants of old finish off, agonizing over what to do with the checkering. The best thing is just plainly to get it recut, but then of course, it isn't original. I prefer to use the FW's as they simply have never been surpassed. The finish? Have never seen anything better than Laurel Mtn Forge permalyn or the Plinkington equivalent. Use sealer to close the wood up, then the topcoat. Be sure the French Red is very dry before sealing.

Best of luck. Use your prize!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive used Formby's Refinished on a number of guns including my p64 338. I gently rub it into the finish with fine steel wool, let it soak in to work and the remove with the edge of a cabinet scraper. Checkering is done with an old toothbrush and the Formby's. Once done wipe down with mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol. Then I applied a few coats of Teak Oil letting it harden a day between coats, topped off with 3 coats of tang oil. Side by side with my FWT the has the original finish I see no difference in coloration at all.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your Winnie!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by labarr
If you go online to Jack First Guns, you can order a repro rubber buttplate which is indistinguishable from the original. As far as refinishing goes, it's just about essential - the original was just varnish.

I would steel wool the remnants of old finish off, agonizing over what to do with the checkering. The best thing is just plainly to get it recut, but then of course, it isn't original. I prefer to use the FW's as they simply have never been surpassed. The finish? Have never seen anything better than Laurel Mtn Forge permalyn or the Plinkington equivalent. Use sealer to close the wood up, then the topcoat. Be sure the French Red is very dry before sealing.

Best of luck. Use your prize!

Labarr, actually according to R. Rule's book (p. 150-152), the finish throughout the production run of pre-64s was hand-sprayed lacquer with a carnuba additive. While I agree it looks and chips away just like varnish, the fact that it's lacquer accounts for it's sometimes tenaciousness when stripping it.
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pre 64's are just like Pringles. "You can't stop at just one".... grin However, some guys have it far worse than others.. I'm happy with the boring 4... 270, 30-06, 338 win, and 375 H&H.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA,you really need a Westerner.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by labarr
If you go online to Jack First Guns, you can order a repro rubber buttplate which is indistinguishable from the original.

Does anybody know if Labarr is talking about one with a Winchester logo?

That would be cool. Too good to be true, I suppose.

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes, Galazan makes a reproduction pad that says "Winchester" on it. Experts can tell it is not original, but it is close. I don't know which one Jack First sells. It may be the Galazan, or it may be another brand.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks much.

That's interesting. They must have to pay Winchester for the use of the name, but it appears there are many who do that now.

I see the Winchester name everywhere.

--DancesWithGuns
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Believe that Galazan bought the mold and licensing agreement from the individual who originally purchased it from Winchester. Recall reading somewhere that the price was $10,000.00.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks and thanks much to all the replies.

Got the old Leupold on and took it out to the range.

I only had time for the 25 yard sighting today. I had boresighted it and it was almost on. What was immediately apparent with the first few shots was that it wanted to put them all in the same hole.

I made a dot about the size of a ladybug and hit it perfectly with the tenth shot after small windage and elevation adjustments.

Function was perfect and smooth as butter.

I've been rubbing ultra light doses of Lin-speed into the flaking areas and lightly feathering it in with 000 steel wool when dry and the flaking has gotten all but impossible to detect now.

It's a beautiful rifle in every way. I couldn't be happier with it.

[Linked Image]

--DancesWithGuns
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do believe you've got a keeper there.
John

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,069
Posts18,482,577
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.