Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
“Droughts are nothing new in California, but right now, 70 percent of California's rainfall washes out to sea because liberals have prevented the construction of a single new reservoir or a single new water conveyance system over decades, during a period in which California’s population has doubled,” said Carly Fiorina, former CEO of Hewlett Packard and likely GOP presidential candidate. “This is the classic case of liberals being willing to sacrifice other people's lives and livelihoods at the altar of their ideology.”

Let's also cut em off of the power grid and we'll see how they survive using windmills.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
She'll bring down the wrath and hatred of liberal spinning heads if she isn't careful... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
VP material right there

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thinking she dealt with a tougher crowd than academics...:)

Defend the Constitution
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love her thought process. How many of us here (who don't even live in CA) have been watching the Kalifornia water fiasco for years and already knew exactly where that was going to lead?

Phuggin incredible those retards couldn't even envision such an outcome. They've shillelagh'ed every attempt at water retention and distribution.

Wait 'til the surrounding states start turning the spigot off.
Just sayin'.

Think back to the Old West days when control of water resources had a lot to do with who sat at the top of the heap.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
“Droughts are nothing new in California, but right now, 70 percent of California's rainfall washes out to sea because liberals have prevented the construction of a single new reservoir or a single new water conveyance system over decades, during a period in which California’s population has doubled,” said Carly Fiorina, former CEO of Hewlett Packard and likely GOP presidential candidate. “This is the classic case of liberals being willing to sacrifice other people's lives and livelihoods at the altar of their ideology.”

How do you know when Carly's lying to you? Her lips are moving...

1) The 70% number is nowhere near correct. True values for environmental use (which, as I stated elsewhere today, also is used to maintain water quality levels for ag and municipal users) is in the 40-45% range, on average*

2) Constuction of the Diamond Valley reservoir was started in 1999 and completed in 2003**. So that "no new reservoirs/conveyances while the population has doubled" statement is also incorrect.

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your Fox CA water propaganda...

*From the NCWA - the Northern Califorina Water Association - a group comprised of Northern California water agencies - supplying both Ag and Municipal users. Not a group with an enviromnentalist agenda:

[Linked Image]

Please note that the Wild and Scenic Rivers flows, as well as Delta outflows are due to meeting Federal as well as State regulations.

** Diamond Valley Reservoir

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
She'll bring down the wrath and hatred of liberal spinning heads if she isn't careful... laugh
Yup,it's a wonderful thing. cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

How do you know when Carly's lying to you? Her lips are moving...

1) The 70% number is nowhere near correct. True values for environmental use (which, as I stated elsewhere today, also is used to maintain water quality levels for ag and municipal users) is in the 40-45% range, on average*

2) Constuction of the Diamond Valley reservoir was started in 1999 and completed in 2003**. So that "no new reservoirs/conveyances while the population has doubled" statement is also incorrect.

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your Fox CA water propaganda...

*From the NCWA - the Northern Califorina Water Association - a group comprised of Northern California water agencies - supplying both Ag and Municipal users. Not a group with an enviromnentalist agenda:

[Linked Image]

Please note that the Wild and Scenic Rivers flows, as well as Delta outflows are due to meeting Federal as well as State regulations.

** Diamond Valley Reservoir

Scott, while there certainly could have been some things done to mitigate the drought, a drought is a drought.

Some pics from the high country (April 6th) illustrating the grim snow pack.

[Linked Image]

For those that aren't familiar, highway 120 is typically opened closer to Memorial day and that requires plowing some snow from the road, and this year it's opening May 1st and as seen from the pics the road has been free of snow for some time.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 458 Lott; 04/16/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, it's absolutely horrendous this year. No doubt about it. Because of my work, I've already done a bunch of reading on water rights and water use this year. Heck, I've even made some phone calls. For instance while our NID water situation is relatively quite good in comparison with the rest of the state, there is near zero recharge of our reservoirs predicted. I've also made a call to a private water bank in the Valley, to see how they're making out. The owner/creator was foresighted enough to sock away a bunch of water in 10-11, and is able to not only irrigate his orchards, but was at one point selling water to the local water district for others to use.

So, I see water banks like Meyers, and offstream storage like San Luis and Diamond Valley as being part of the future of CA's water plan. Too many hurdles to clear before you put any more dams on our remaining undammed rivers. And the water banks provide storage, as well as create/restore wetlands. Maybe a win/win/win for farmers/greenies/hunters.

There's also a part of me that thinks "sometimes, no matter how many dams/banks/canals/tunnels/pumps you have, you're still going to be screwed. Google up Fallen Leaf Lake underwater forest to see what hundreds of years of low rainfall can do to CA.

And next time you're down here - give me a shout!

P.S. I've had to change July 4th plans, because Tioga Pass was closed due to snow...

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 04/16/15. Reason: Not just Memorial day closures....

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Constuction of the Diamond Valley reservoir was started in 1999 and completed in 2003**. So that "no new reservoirs/conveyances while the population has doubled" statement is also incorrect.

How much does Diamond Valley add to the total water reserve for the state?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In just my humble opinion, 1999 WAS decades ago for practical purposes.

What have they done since then?

You are correct about a drought being a drought, but wise people plan for that when they live in desert climates, and have the correct infrastructure in place for when it happens.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Scott if I understand correctly your main interests are water quantity and quality/habitat. Are there any proposals to dam the Sacramento and San Joaquin confluence? If not why?

There must be some reason I'm missing here.

Wouldn't it would block the sea water and improve water quality upstream while providing water for pumping? The topography calls for a very low dam just feet above sea level so the extremely limited reservoir would have to tightly control the pumping and overflow but that's achievable.

Include fish ladders and locks for traffic and emergency flood water evacuation.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for clarifying Scott. Truth provides the only ammunition needed.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I just read a very interesting article on Cal. water shortage and it it could have been mostly avoided. And yes, it is the liberals fault because it would take dams and to a liberal those are BAD!!!. Now, they might still have a water problem, but they did little to plan for these problems. This is what I read and it seems to make sense to me.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
She'd better watch her back.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Scott if I understand correctly your main interests are water quantity and quality/habitat. Are there any proposals to dam the Sacramento and San Joaquin confluence? If not why?

There must be some reason I'm missing here.

Wouldn't it would block the sea water and improve water quality upstream while providing water for pumping? The topography calls for a very low dam just feet above sea level so the extremely limited reservoir would have to tightly control the pumping and overflow but that's achievable.

Include fish ladders and locks for traffic and emergency flood water evacuation.

Delta dams - we've done it before, may do it again

But those are small and temporary.

As for a permanent dam well downstream to block saltwater intrusion, I really don't think that's politically feasible. Because of the effects, I'm pretty sure that environmentalists, sportsmen, farmers, and local municipalities would organize together like never before to put the kibosh on it on a state level. Residents of 49 other states and territories would email/phone their representatives and say "NO F---ING WAY WE'RE SPENDING OUR MONEY ON CALIFORNIA WATER ISSUES!!!!" Make no mistake, the feds would be footing a HUGE chunk of the bill.

I'm thinking that the Pebble Mine would be a political shoe-in, in comparison.

But, never say never, I guess

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shouldn't post this kind of thread topic. Team r is fragmented, fractured, refracted, and poorly reflected upon enough as it is without t itt ies coming into the picture.

Next thing ya know All the regurges on here will be sending money to donald trump and sqwaking about Sarah's squeeky voice.

While telling all us idjits whom is and isn't electable.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Focus in Cruz...
Or chit TF up and git TF down.

Team Retardlican, in case ya ain't fingered. it out, has earned my contempt.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the insight and link Scott. That's similar to what I had in mind, more of a controllable one-way-valve than a conventional dam and reservoir.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe a win/win/win for farmers/greenies/hunters.

You are smoking dope if you think interrupting nature, except for killing unborn babies, is going to make a greeny happy.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.