Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just got the rifle back from a bedding job, don't know if it's related to the problem or not.

I can pull the case back out of the chamber, but it will not eject the case at all.

The ejector seems to be as lifeless as can be, I can take my finger and try to get some movement, and I'll get a little movement, but something is wrong, It's very sluggish.

What's next?

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You bedding is binding something. Take it down and see if you can determine where the problem is and relieve that spot with a Moto tool.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've pulled the action from the stock, nothing appears to be infringing on the Ejector,

When I reach in there with my finger and attempt to "spring" the ejector, it's fairly lifeless. Some movement, but very slow and sluggish.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does it need a good cleaning? While the bolt should not have been in while bedding the action, I'm wondering if release agent from the action got in and is gumming things up. I used paste wax when I bedded mine and gave everything a good solvent based cleaning enema.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kenneth,
I'm assuming you're talking about a Classic or Pre 64. I would pull the action from the stock and check the ejector for operation. I would suspect that some bedding material on the left side of the action might be binding the ejector/spring mechanism while in the stock. If it works good while out of the stock, then you need to relieve the bedding/stock material until it works the same in or out of the stock. If it doesn't work while out of the stock, then you can determine whether or not you need a new spring for the ejector or if it just simply has come out of place. If the smith that did the bedding took it out while bedding the action, he may have put it back in wrong, lost parts, etc. Hope that helps.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Will it eject with the barrel action out of the stock?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bea175
Will it eject with the barrel action out of the stock?

No it won't,

I hope I'm explaining this right, as you pull the bolt back, there is a spring loaded "ejector" or "plunger that kicks the case out and off of the bolt head,

this "ejector" is down towards the bottom of the action, likely even part of the trigger assembly... It's a thin flat piece of metal that does ride in a slot in the bolt.

make sense?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sounds like this so-called gunsmith either left the the ejector spring out or more likely bound it up.

You should be able to push down on the ejector blade and feel spring pressure, and it should come right back up!

Either way, his [bleep]-up, his fix.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just take the bolt apart clean everything and make sure nothing is missing and then put it back together and it should work

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by McCray
Sounds like this so-called gunsmith either left the the ejector spring out or more likely bound it up.

You should be able to push down on the ejector blade and feel spring pressure, and it should come right back up!

Either way, his [bleep]-up, his fix.

I agree, he either dropped the ejector and didn't know it, or there is some crud stopping it from working. If it worked before you took it to the guy, he should take care of it for you!
Ken

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I've pulled the action from the stock, nothing appears to be infringing on the Ejector,

When I reach in there with my finger and attempt to "spring" the ejector, it's fairly lifeless. Some movement, but very slow and sluggish.
No bedding job should have had anything to do with the ejector..

It sounds to me like one of (or both) two things:

Ejector's got some crud that's preventing free/easy movement or:

the ejector spring has either collapsed or a bit of crud got in there to prevent full spring travel.

Either way - it's an easy fix.. Remove trigger. Remove sear pin. Use a 1/16" punch to remove the pin retaining the ejector, keeping your finger over the unit so the spring - if it's really free - doesn't take off on you.

Clean the ejector and it's slot. Clean the spring and its recess. Replace and test for function and decent resistance from the spring.. If it's weak, find a replacement spring..

Reassemble and test..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 63 invisible), 3,312 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,962
Posts18,499,194
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.