Print Thread
Hop To
R
RRemus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I would like some serious input to an Antelope hunt in Wyoming!

I'm thinking of jumping in the truck heading out and grabbing a motel in a small town. Last
fall I was through the eastern part and seen plenty of animals, made a few inquiries and found private land fairly accessible.

If anyone can give me more direction, or could show me anything in there area it would be greatly appreciated! Not looking for a tremendous trophy, just a decent buck and a good adventure.

Thanks, Roger

GB1

R
RRemus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hey Guys,
180 people viewed my post but no suggestions??

Usually leftover tags are available so I don't have to lock myself into anything, but I was hoping a few guys would be giving me some good tips for this area. Looking at a map there are only a few small towns near Gillette, and the season lasts almost the hole month of October.

Any suggestions beyond this would be greatly appreciated!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Lusk could be good. Close to Nebraska. There is a little town, called Bill,on hwy 59. They have a diner and motel, which is south of Gillette. There are some walk in areas and areas around thunder basin grasslands. Check tag numbers,a lot of private on 59 corridor,but not too late to put in for a tag if you think you can gain access

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've dropped in on this thread a couple of times and attributed to the views but I am like you, don't know anything and am looking for information (for the future).

Good luck and I'm sure someone will steer you in the right direction.

R
RRemus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
JCubed
Maybe you should drive out this year and check it out.

Do some scouting,hunt a few days, later meet up with me and hunt a few days.
As it stands I'm coming alone and would like to meet up with someone for part
of the trip. $35 doe tags, $285 for buck.

IC B2

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you have found accessible private land in a zone you have tags for it sounds like you are pretty well set. I have hunted 9(Lusk) and 16 (Buffalo) the last couple of years and my issue was finding any on accessible public land. My understanding is that much of the private land is not all that accessible unless you are paying. Do you already have potential landowners lined up? Are you planning on paying a trespass fee?

R
RRemus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I don't have anything lined up. Last year we drove 85 to Co and seen lots of animals and made a couple of inquiries and the response was feel free to shoot a goat but leave the deer alone.

We didn't research much, but it seemed rather low keyed. Maybe I got the wrong impression,we were near Lingle? I was planning DIY hunt.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
First thing to do is check the WY website. Look at areas that have walk ins or hunter assistance list, check if they had any leftovers last otherwise apply for a tag in an area of your choice and hope for the best. Last year they cut the quotas big time in some areas so not much in the way of leftovers.
Good Luck!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RRemus
JCubed
Maybe you should drive out this year and check it out.

Do some scouting,hunt a few days, later meet up with me and hunt a few days.
As it stands I'm coming alone and would like to meet up with someone for part
of the trip. $35 doe tags, $285 for buck.

I would love to but this fall is not going to work for me...busy fall as it is but if you are interested in doing this in the future, I would be more than happy to join another campfire member!

Regards

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
North Eastern WY is open the whole month with leftover tags for a reason. There is very limited access. You may be able to find a place to hunt for a trespass fee but you will have to spend some time on the phone making inquiries. If you are adventurous you can try the checkerboard land with a good map and GPS but you will always have the potential for a trespassing hassle (right or wrong). All of that being said this is a fun hunt and if you do your homework you can have a good time and shoot a few goats.
Good luck
Brian

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.