Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
It sounds like a method of boundary layer control used on aircraft. Some airplanes will have small pores in the skin in certain areas where small amounts of bleed air from the engines are pumped through to break up the boundary layer, thus reducing drag.

The boundary layer on an aircraft (or sub/ship hull) is the area right next the skin where at a microscopic level the air or water kind of "sticks" to the skin. If you can

break up that "stickiness" then you can cut down on a lot of the drag so you can go faster with less power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_layer

The F-4 N's and J's had both leading edge and trailing edge BLC on the leading edge slats and the flaps to energize the boundary layer to move it faster. It allowed us to fly slower w/o stalling. It also created the distinctive howling noise you'd hear from a jet in the landing pattern.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Scott F

Hard to believe they would be stupid enough to try it. Bubbles are real bad if you are trying to be quiet.
Um, no..

Even the Razorback had the (at the time, new) prairie masker system
Had no idea Prairie Masker was that old. Still in use today on the DDG's and CG's. They are also blowing bubbles out of another underwater part.

ETA: Since you can find it on the net, they also blow bleed air out of the screws too. Nothing to do with speed, it masks acoustic signature.
Correct - I failed to mention that little item.. Good catch.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I spent 24 years in the Navy and never had anything to do with anything other than carriers and big deck gators. When I retired I took a job working on DDG's and I will never forget the first time I went into the MMR. I looked around for about 5 minutes and said "who is the silly bastard that decided to put jet engines on a boat? If we light the afterburners can this sumbitch pop a wheelie?" Never had a clue what ran those tin cans in the entire 24 years.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spent 24 years in the Navy and never had anything to do with anything other than carriers and big deck gators. When I retired I took a job working on DDG's and I will never forget the first time I went into the MMR. I looked around for about 5 minutes and said "who is the silly bastard that decided to put jet engines on a boat? If we light the afterburners can this sumbitch pop a wheelie?" Never had a clue what ran those tin cans in the entire 24 years.
And yet another example of your meeting my expectations of your intelligence: not much.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Scott F

Hard to believe they would be stupid enough to try it. Bubbles are real bad if you are trying to be quiet.
Pretty much the opposite, bleed air from the turbines make the bubble layer to mask acoustics signature. Apparently works pretty well as they put a lot of money into them to ensure they work. [/quote]

Tridents work a little different and a LOT quieter.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
35 plus when I was on temporary duty on the JFK. It was the only Nimitz class that wasn't a nuke(thank you Jimma Carter).
Uh, the JFK was commissioned in 1968. Jimmy Carter wasn't in office until 1977.
You are right about that... I know it was supposed to be a nuke but politics got in the way of the propulsion.I've been on a few carriers and don't remember that there was much difference than the Nimitz class ships.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (1eyedmule, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 2UP, 20 invisible), 1,656 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.