-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
G
Hey: I love guns and I collect them too.

But, I don't have any misconceptions about what I'm doing and why I'm doing it....

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My parents past away 3 years ago.
I could split the money 4 ways and send a check in the mail.
My mother's jewelry and my father's coin collections were not worth much, but a big pain to deal with because I could not split them evenly.
The guns were not as much trouble. They were not worth much either, but I put a price on each gun and the relatives made them disappear [I got the Winchester].
That is all small stuff compared to getting rid of a house with a basement and garage full of junk.
Getting rid of a house is nothing compared to getting live in care for aging parents. It turns out I am a member of a family with all chiefs and no Indians.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See what I mean? smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by grunchkin

But, I don't have any misconceptions about what I'm doing and why I'm doing it....

You're pretty good at trolling. Carry on though if that's what makes you happy... The guys here will get tired of your chit pretty quickly though... You can always hang out on the hunting rifles forum or optics forum. There's plenty of trolls over there. You'll fit in just fine..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You're pretty good at trolling. Carry on though if that's what makes you happy... The guys here will get tired of your chit pretty quickly though... You can always hang out on the hunting rifles forum or optics forum. There's plenty of trolls over there. You'll fit in just fine..

HA HA.

What?

Really?

You have 21,047 posts. I have 9. That makes you a genius and me a dumb ass?

Or does that make you an internet snob/loser/bully?

So I offered an opinion and didn't go after you or anybody else, but you think you can hurt my feelings by calling me names? I'm just posting and you are name calling. Maybe you are the troll? Ah, but you have all those posts, so you must be smart...

Just to be clear, anybody that doesn't agree with you is a troll?

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
10 post either means the fire slow walked you down and you had to change handles or you are new here... either way enjoy
Remember everybody loves a dumbazz ,nobody likes a smart azz!
the winchester collector forum is the nicest one here on the fire. v best winpoor

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The old guys came home from WWII and Korea with a few bucks because largely, there were no places to spend it. One of my younger uncles had enough to pay cash for a Ford.

Others bought a new revolver as soon as they became available. Others bought a new shotgun or rifle. They or their heirs are selling a lot of them off. Many were lightly or never used.

My pre war Model 70 is well used by an old family friend. He sold his in the early 60s when he decided he was too old to hunt. Cousin bought his three M70s. I ended up with the .270.

I recently bought a late forties/early fifties pre model 10 S&W that was hardly used with the only blue wear being a light turn ring on the cylinder.

I bought a Winchester 42 a few years ago that looked as if it had been mostly in a time capsule. Light wear on the magazine tube, otherwise perfect.

Lots of the returning greatest generation, got too busy to hunt for raising kids and building careers. They are out there. Be patient. Heck, I'm rapidly approaching 78. You might buy some of mine in a few years. I do have some nice stuff.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The old guys came home from WWII and Korea with a few bucks because largely, there were no places to spend it. One of my younger uncles had enough to pay cash for a Ford.

Others bought a new revolver as soon as they became available. Others bought a new shotgun or rifle. They or their heirs are selling a lot of them off. Many were lightly or never used.

My pre war Model 70 is well used by an old family friend. He sold his in the early 60s when he decided he was too old to hunt. Cousin bought his three M70s. I ended up with the .270.

I recently bought a late forties/early fifties pre model 10 S&W that was hardly used with the only blue wear being a light turn ring on the cylinder.

I bought a Winchester 42 a few years ago that looked as if it had been mostly in a time capsule. Light wear on the magazine tube, otherwise perfect.

Lots of the returning greatest generation, got too busy to hunt for raising kids and building careers. They are out there. Be patient. Heck, I'm rapidly approaching 78. You might buy some of mine in a few years. I do have some nice stuff.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When we visited the wife's Uncle Cliff's ranch in 1984, he had ~ 100 Win M70s in a walk in vault.

The way he got started collecting M70s was when his brother went to Korea, he left his 222 M70 with Cliff for safe keeping. When I was on the ranch in 84, that 222 was pointed out to me in the easy rider rifle rack in his brother's pick up truck.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
News Flash:

Your wife and your kids and you heirs don't give a damn about your pre-64 Winchesters. Collectors are hoarders so they are never going to be able to part with them while they are still alive. Then the people left behind, who don't care a damn about them, send them to an auction house and pay 20% sales commission on them.

You want to collect guns? Fine. Call it what it is, a hobby or in some cases even an obsession. Don't rationalize it as an investment. You are doing your family a disservice.

You want to do the people you love a favor; leave them liquid assets.

Where on God's green earth did you get the idea we were all planning to leave any of them?

I wish to heck I could leave some of my guns to my Dad and uncles now passed.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.