What does it take?

What can you get?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
not sure about getting channels like on sat / cable.

but for movies / tv shows there is netflix, hulu, crackle, etc.

that and speedy internet.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think I'm going to try a Dragonbox

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Many tv's can be hooked to a computer to act as a monitor. If you have a HDMI plug on both the tv and computer, it's just a matter of a single cable and telling your computer to use it as a monitor. You can stream internet content direct to the tv rather than watching it on a small monitor. You can also user the computer to play DVD's that way.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Our Samsung "Smart" TV prefers to be logged into our home wireless. I can eventually find my way to screens that offer movies and such, but it isn't at all like the real internet.

Not only do I not watch movies, but the few things I have tried to see turned out to be pay-per-view. For me, it's useless.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We also have a Samsung smart tv. The browser is close to useless and it's very slow, too slow for surfing. A wireless mouse and keyboard greatly improve the browser. However, if you can find a movie or videos you want to watch, it works very well. Netflix, Amazon Prime, and many other movie sites are built in so no surfing is needed.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What does it take?

Google Chrome and Chromecast

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have to start with a "smart TV" which is one that can be hooked to the internet, or a TV with an HDMI connection that you can hook up an internet device to.

My TV is the latter so I got a Roku box, the Roku III. The Roku gets the internet signal - either directly through a cable or remotely if you have some kind of wireless setup in your house - and passes it on to the TV through the HDMI connection. I had to do a little setup to register the box on my computer but that's a pretty easy process, just follow simple step by step instructions when you turn on the Roku box.

That lets you get Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and a ton of other streaming services. They offer new and old TV programs and a bunch of movies. Netflix is all inclusive for one monthly charge, about $7.99 I think. Amazon Prime also has a monthly charge but it only offers some stuff free with that, the rest is pay as you go, like $1.99 per episode for the latest episodes of current TV programs. The others are a mix of free and pay as you go although a lot of the "free" ones stick commercials in the middle of the movies - Netflix doesn't do that btw.

I cancelled my cable TV subscription several months ago and couldn't be happier. Cable TV had 100 plus stations, 96 of them were garbage and the other 4 only had a few decent programs on them. I was flipping through commercials all the time. With the streaming services you choose what you want to see when you want, stop them in the middle and pick up where you left off etc. You can see current TV programs if you don't mind paying, or just wait until Netflix streams them. I missed the last episode of Walking Dead last year and finally saw it when they added season 5 this past Saturday. I could have paid $1.99 to see it on Amazon Prime long before this but I'm too cheap. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We use Netflix a lot. Lately we've been going through the entire 12 seasons of NCIS. There are a lot of episodes that we'd missed and we'd forgotten the rest. Each show lasts 45 min because there are no commercials.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What does it take?

What can you get?

I get by with Netflix, Hulu +, HBOGO, FoxGo and Sling TV. All comes over the internet, with good reliability. Cost for the service to me is $36 a month.

in Miami, with the air antenna, I get 60+ channels. That gives me all the main TV like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox. Sling along has probably 100, and Netflix and Hulu have hundreds. History Channel, Discover channel, cooking channel, Disney, TBS, ION, and many, many more

Last edited by Mannlicher; 10/02/15.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the Roku 3. Have yet to see anything else as fast, reliable and easy to use.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1Longbow, 1moredeer, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,930
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.