Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
bman940 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
What I meant by my above post is that Nikon's BDC reticle is a big seller because they work. A lot of folk's like them and that's why it is Nikon's number one selling scope reticle. I understand that you do not and there are other folk's like yourself who want to have another option. That is why I asked the question that started this thread. Input on what Nikon could make that maybe you would buy? As for a minor player in the market, Nikon has been #1 in scope sales for 3 years in a row now. They must be doing something right but at the same time, they want to keep getting better by making new scope's that shooters like yourself might want.

I hope that makes sense? I'm not looking for an arguement, just trying to get info on what guy's who do not like the circles would be interested in from Nikon.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a fan of the bdc either, I wont own another Nikon till they get away from the huge eyepiece that all Nikons have now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a fan of the bdc either, I wont own another Nikon till they get away from the huge eyepiece that all Nikons have now

Interesting. I don't mind the "eyepiece". From what I understand, the larger ocular lens allows for a larger field of view. Maybe someone can correct or verify this.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by bman940
Input on what Nikon could make that maybe you would buy?

Give me an aim point. Get rid of the circles and make them an intersecting hash mark like every other BDC type reticle out there. Base the reticle or turrets on MOA or Mils.

Originally Posted by bman940
As for a minor player in the market, Nikon has been #1 in scope sales for 3 years in a row now. They must be doing something right but at the same time, they want to keep getting better by making new scope's that shooters like yourself might want.

McDonald's is #1 in hamburger sales also.

Not trying to start an argument either, but Nikon is #1 in scope sales because they make decently functional modestly priced scopes, they're mostly overlooked by the rifle loony crowd. The kind of scope someone puts on their remington 715 like the prostaff I mounted for my cousin's girlfriend last night. It's a nice enough scope (it doesn't have the circles), she'll be happy with it and kill plenty of deer with it I'm sure. I'm guessing you're asking here because Nikon isn't happy with being the scope of choice for the remington 710/715 crowd and wants to sell more scopes to the rifle loony crowd.

First you have the circles which are imprecise, not good for folks looking to shoot precisely. Secondly your Spot On system is geared toward trying to match the reticle to the ballistics of a particular cartridge. Guys and gals that shoot a lot think in MOA and Mils, they don't want the ballistic reticle that limits them to one particular load. As conditions change the drops change, using MOA or Mils you can simply adjust your data instead of trying to make the load fit the reticle. Your Spot On system has a bunch of entries for different factory loads. Problem is the people that would use a ballistic reticle rarely shoot factory ammo. There are plenty of good ballistics programs out there that give a shooter the data he/she needs in MOA or Mils, your proprietary system just complicates things for a shooter that already has other scopes in MOA or Mils. They're not going to add another method to the mix just to use a Nikon.

You're pitching a Beta reticle when everyone else has decided they're going to buy a VHS player. (blast from the past I know)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Your Spot On system has a bunch of entries for different factory loads. Problem is the people that would use a ballistic reticle rarely shoot factory ammo.

Not to be argumentative, but the Spot On system allows for hand loads. You do need to know velocity of your loads to make it work. I've had pretty good luck with it.

I know I'm real late to this party, but I actually didn't mind the circles on the one had with them. I had no trouble shooting well with them on targets out to 500 yards (as far as my range has a backstop). They reminded me a peep site. I thought was it made a good hunting reticle. And since I bought it to hunt with, it worked good for my application. If you want to punch holes in paper for tiny groups, it is probably the wrong reticle choice for that.

The reasons I sold mine are the big ocular lens and the weight.

IC B2

B
bman940 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Tech, You are absolutely correct about Spot On and handloads. Knowing MV, BC of bullet also important. I also agree Nikon's BDC is a hunting reticle and not a fine target scope.

Crow, Thank you for your suggestion's as well. As Tech. stated, Spot On does let you enter handloads and change atmospheric condition's even using the condition's where ever you are at the time you enter information.

I looked up some weights and measurement's of Nikon's eyepiece.
It is a bit larger then some others.

3.9mm over L and 2.9mm over V. Weight difference between a slightly lower magnification V. scope is .6oz less then the Nikon.

Again, Thank you gentlemen for the information you have provided.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I just picked up a Monarch or UCC or pre-Monarch UCC or something 4x40 which I love. It has great ring spacing, clear optics, precise adjustments that are crisp.

They're no longer offered so a 4x, 6x, 8x, and 10x all with plex & optional turrets on the same tube & 40mm objective would be BRILLIANT!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They need Mil/Mil or Moa/Moa and some new reticle designs. Also get in 5x or 6x zoom range. Id love to see a higher powered EFR scope for 22's. True 1x AR scope in 30mm. The list goes on brother. I make excellent products but nothing wowed me at Show Shot.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,859 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.