-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a 257 Roberts red pad ultralight that is in great condition save for a bit of an issue. It doesn't fully eject fired brass (or unfired rounds for that matter) It extracts the round and lets go of it on top of the magazine follower. I also have a MK II ultralight 257 Roberts. It functions flawlessly. I ordered a brand new spring for the Red pad. It didn't help. I switched the follower from the MK II to the red pad. It didn't help. I switched bolts. The Red pad bolt works fine in the MK II. The MK II bolt has the same ejection issue in the Red pad rifle.

Any ideas? I am befuddled.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have a 257 Roberts red pad ultralight that is in great condition save for a bit of an issue. It doesn't fully eject fired brass (or unfired rounds for that matter) It extracts the round and lets go of it on top of the magazine follower. I also have a MK II ultralight 257 Roberts. It functions flawlessly. I ordered a brand new spring for the Red pad. It didn't help. I switched the follower from the MK II to the red pad. It didn't help. I switched bolts. The Red pad bolt works fine in the MK II. The MK II bolt has the same ejection issue in the Red pad rifle.

Paul,

I'm no Ruger expert, but I believe your "red pad ultralight " is a tang safety model that combined a plunger ejector w/ a mauser style claw extractor. It sounds to me as if their is something wrong with the plunger ejector. Perhaps it is stuck/frozen in place or missing?

The MKII is a true controlled round feed action that uses a fixed blade ejector pinned into the action. Swapping the bolt from a MKII into a tang safety model might allow the bolt to seem to function properly, but as there is no pinned ejector in the tang safety model it will still fail to eject.

HTH

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Note the pic posted by Big Redhead:

24hr campfire Rugers thread

David

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Paul,

I'm no Ruger expert, but I believe your "red pad ultralight " is a tang safety model that combined a plunger ejector w/ a mauser style claw extractor. It sounds to me as if their is something wrong with the plunger ejector. Perhaps it is stuck/frozen in place or missing?

The MKII is a true controlled round feed action that uses a fixed blade ejector pinned into the action. Swapping the bolt from a MKII into a tang safety model might allow the bolt to seem to function properly, but as there is no pinned ejector in the tang safety model it will still fail to eject.

HTH

David

When I put the Tang bolt in the MK II, it ejected the rounds forcefully. This has me baffled, and I don't know of a good gunsmith in my area.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I should add that in the tang model, the MKII bolt doesn't eject. With a new spring and the MK II follower, it still doesn't eject.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What's happening when the tang safety bolt is in the tang safety rifle? When you ease the bolt back can you tell if the cartridge is being pushed out by the extractor? it would be visibly cocked to the side slightly pushing towards the ejecting port.

I'm asking of the ejector appears to be working properly in the tang safety rifle and then gets disrupted prior to the case/cartridge clearing the ejection port?

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I should add that in the tang model, the MKII bolt doesn't eject. With a new spring and the MK II follower, it still doesn't eject.

There's no way it could. The MKII depends upon an ejector pinned in the rifle receiver to eject cases - there is no plunger ejector on the MKII bolt face and no pinned ejector in the receiver. There's no way it could eject.

David

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What's happening when the tang safety bolt is in the tang safety rifle? When you ease the bolt back can you tell if the cartridge is being pushed out by the extractor? it would be visibly cocked to the side slightly pushing towards the ejecting port.

I'm asking of the ejector appears to be working properly in the tang safety rifle and then gets disrupted prior to the case/cartridge clearing the ejection port?

David

Every now and then it will kick a round out, but about 80% of the time it just releases the round and the round comes to rest on the magazine follower.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I believe the first gen m77 has a plunger ejector, and claw extractor. Either the plunger is stuck, or has a weak spring -or- the extractor might be weak and the ejector is pushing the case to the right too soon bouncing it back into the action after the claw loses its grip... (Just a guess, don't have a tang Ruger anymore)

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Every now and then it will kick a round out, but about 80% of the time it just releases the round and the round comes to rest on the magazine follower.

Paul,

Can you any sort of mark/nick on the (non) ejected catridge case? I'm not a gun smith, but it sounds like it may be possible there is a sharp edge or a burr that is knocking (or pulling) the cartridge off the extractor prior to ejection.

Hopefully one of the gunsmiths on this site will comment.

David

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Paul,

Can you any sort of mark/nick on the (non) ejected catridge case? I'm not a gun smith, but it sounds like it may be possible there is a sharp edge or a burr that is knocking (or pulling) the cartridge off the extractor prior to ejection.

David

I keep hoping a smith will ring in. Surely this isn't the first time someone has had a similar issue. If it is releasing prematurely in the tang, why would the same thing not happen when I put the tank bolt in the MK 2 rifle?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Paul,

David

I keep hoping a smith will ring in. Surely this isn't the first time someone has had a similar issue. If it is releasing prematurely in the tang, why would the same thing not happen when I put the tank bolt in the MK 2 rifle?

That's why I was thinking you may have a burr or sharp edge on your tang receiver that's pulling the carse off the extractor.

David

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Paul, my 250Sav tang safe was doing the same thing .I removed the extractor from bolt and bent it slightly so it gained more purchase on rim.It has been fine for many rounds since.Scott

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Scott, I looked at the extractor again, and it almost looks as if it as been filed down a bit. I wonder if MK2 extractors work with Tang bolts. If so, I will just order one. If not, I am probably screwed. Ruger no longer supports the tang model and I doubt anyone has a tang extractor just laying around.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like the extractor couldn't hold the case against the pressure from the ejector, so when the OP replaced the ejector spring, it probably actually got a little worse.

Maybe someday Ruger will make a Hawkeye Mk II, with CRF, fixed ejector, one-piece steel bottom metal, and a 3-position tang safety. While they're at it, they can trim a bit of that excess metal from the inside corners of the trigger guard. All will then be well.

Last edited by Pappy348; 06/30/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Paul,those guns are too nice, so don't give up. Compare them and if they look identical try the mk ii extractor on the tang bolt.They come off easy.I don't have a mk ii or I would compare myself.I know you said the tang safe bolt worked properly in the mk ii, it is befuddling as you say. Scott

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think I have identified the source of the problem. The only ammo I have is reloads. I have some new nickel brass reloaded and I have some once fired regular brass. The once fired regular brass has been neck sized only. It won't chamber in the Tang rifle. The new nickel reloads chamber fine in the Tang. When I move the Tang bolt over to the MK2 rifle, I was cycling the brass ammo. I got to thinking the nickel might be a little thicker, keeping the extractor from fully engaging the brass. So I tried the Tang bolt in the MK2 rifle using both regular and nickel brass. It doesn't eject the nickel stuff but about 20% of the time, but ejects the regular brass with 100% reliability. Then I started paying attention to which nickel round it ejected. Sure enough, it ejects the same nickel case each time. I guess the nickel isn't as thick on that one.

Am I crazy or have I found the source of the problem?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think I have identified the source of the problem. The only ammo I have is reloads. I have some new nickel brass reloaded and I have some once fired regular brass. The once fired regular brass has been neck sized only. It won't chamber in the Tang rifle. The new nickel reloads chamber fine in the Tang. When I move the Tang bolt over to the MK2 rifle, I was cycling the brass ammo. I got to thinking the nickel might be a little thicker, keeping the extractor from fully engaging the brass. So I tried the Tang bolt in the MK2 rifle using both regular and nickel brass. It doesn't eject the nickel stuff but about 20% of the time, but ejects the regular brass with 100% reliability. Then I started paying attention to which nickel round it ejected. Sure enough, it ejects the same nickel case each time. I guess the nickel isn't as thick on that one.

Am I crazy or have I found the source of the problem?

I doubt it.

A properly functioning rifle should not be that fussy about what it will chamber and eject.

That's a bit temperamental and i wouldn't consider it satisfactory.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Scott, I looked at the extractor again, and it almost looks as if it as been filed down a bit. I wonder if MK2 extractors work with Tang bolts. If so, I will just order one. If not, I am probably screwed. Ruger no longer supports the tang model and I doubt anyone has a tang extractor just laying around.

Call Jack First Distributors in SD. They will tell you on the phone if they have one in stock. Have your part number available if possible when you call, but if not, they WILL find it. Gun Parts Corp is another option, but I hate the bastids....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,289
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.