Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I get home from the slope the 18th. It should be waiting for me when I get there at my favorite dealer. I'd love to have a copy of that article or know which magazine it came out in and I'd keep an eye out on eBay and Amazon for one. I have his book, "The Hunter's Rifle" ordered.

I'll definitely get some photos going. I doubt I'll be able to hunt it this year as I'll be caribou hunting right after getting home. I did find some brass already and a friend has several boxes of factory ammo. He has promised to share a couple boxes with me.

This rifle fits right in with my passion for unique firearms. I really don't have much in the way of what most would call standard rifles.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
You guys are a bad influence on me. The 308 Norma mag of his is coming to live with me.

We have different definitions of "bad". grin Lets see those pics when it shows up.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,pictures when you get the .308 NM in. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mart
You guys are a bad influence on me. The 308 Norma mag of his is coming to live with me.

Are you serious? That is way cool!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BTW, "THE HUNTERS RIFLE" is a great read and he talks about that .308 Norma.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm 70-odd pages into Unrepentant Sinner

Even if some of the stories are embellished in telling, he was quite a contradiction. At one point casually describing a violent deadly encounter, and on the next page waxing poetic over the death of a favorite horse. The style of writing likewise is interesting - a straightforward declarative style, but with esoteric words that I'm not quite sure ever existed in the dictionary smile

It's not a dull read. Would be interesting to see what sort of movie a good director could make of it - someone like Eastwood.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The waxing poetic about the horse was Major Askins. Charlie included it to give us insight into what his Dad was like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah, I understood that. His dad dug the grave and buried the horse himself. Charlie nonetheless included it in the book, so I reckon he felt much the same way.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Besides being a cavalry officer in the old Army, the Major hunted a lot from horseback.

His Ithaca double that Walt Snyder ended up with, has a worn area on the left side of the forearm, from years of saddle horn wear. See Shotgunworld link for details. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=369279

He had a special relationship with those animals, they were family.

So, no real surprise that he would react to a loss like he did.

DF

edited to add link.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/11/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the part where he talks about them having a few drinks to knock the edge off before a match, is what i use to do when i was shooting ipsc.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure it works. I always shot better at Pool after a couple drinks.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by stxhunter
the part where he talks about them having a few drinks to knock the edge off before a match, is what i use to do when i was shooting ipsc.

I've been told by others that this trick works wonders. wink

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm sure it works. I always shot better at Pool after a couple drinks.

Yup. I had a sweet spot, sober I sucked, hammered I sucked, but there was a nice place right in the middle where it all came together.

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
... It's not a dull read. Would be interesting to see what sort of movie a good director could make of it - someone like Eastwood.

Pat-
There are some eerie parallels between Col. Askins and Col. Kurtz of Apocalypse Now. Both Askins and the fictional Kurtz were in Vietnam well before the build up in the mid-late 60s. Both went to Airborne School later in their careers, which is apparently an unusual move.

One of the writer for Apocalypse Now was John Milius, who has been up to his eyeballs in firearms lore for a long time, including being an NRA director. It would be fun to ask Millius if Askins was an inspiration for some facets of Kurtz's movie character.

--Bob

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I know I'm a lot better singer when I have had 4 or 6....

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I know I'm a lot better singer when I have had 4 or 6....

Unfortunately, no one who is listening seems to realize that. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Congratulations. I've only got one feeling and you sir, have just hurt it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,449
Posts18,471,018
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.