-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One more point to consider: The 'plastic' Taurus the OP suggested is 1.2" thick. The P229 is 1.6" thick according to my calipers. That is very significant. The P239 is 1.2" thick to duplicate the size of the gun the OP suggested and holds 8+1, which is only 1 round shy of the 10-15 round count suggestion.

If IWB is the preferred carry method, A P229 is not the best choice in my opinion. Just more for the OP to consider.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Originally Posted by WTM45
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Originally Posted by EdM
Amazing how many did not read the OP.

Yep.

The very reason I recommended the P229. And it is slim when considering what the OP is asking for.

Do you actually own a P229? I do. And the damn thing is seriously thick. Very nice gun, but THICK. The reason I asked if you meant a P239. I've carried both extensively. The 239 is slightly smaller in all three dimensions (height, length, and width) and is lighter, that is pretty significant.

Did you read the OP? Have you fit 10-14 rounds in a 239?

I own a 229. Easy IWB. It also fits the OP's parameters.

I did read the OP and responded accordingly. If you think a 229 is easy IWB carry, you've not carried much else IWB for comparison. What holster you use?

This will be my last comment on the matter.
The P229 carries like a dream in a Sparks VM2.
I have the luxury of carrying anything I want. I own plenty of choices, believe me. The OP wants METAL, he wants DA/SA, and he wants 10-14 round capacity. The P229 fits. So does the P226 for that matter.

Hits matter. Go ahead and preach carry comfort above groups if you wish. End of day, it is results on target that matter. And I know for a fact getting those results comes harder FOR MOST FOLKS as the platform gets smaller, especially with +P and +P+ factor ammo. Did you see that requirement?

I generally recommend the G19 as the best CCW, but that does not fit the OP's constraints.

Last edited by WTM45; 07/27/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by smallfry
CZ 75 compact
Yep. CZ 75D PCR. It might be the best CCW pistol out there.
[Linked Image]

You might be right, Sam.. but you certainly aren't wrong. grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This will be my last comment on the matter.
The P229 carries like a dream in a Sparks VM2.
I have the luxury of carrying anything I want. I own plenty of choices, believe me. The OP wants METAL, he wants DA/SA, and he wants 10-14 round capacity. The P229 fits. So does the P226 for that matter.

Hits matter. Go ahead and preach carry comfort above groups if you wish. End of day, it is results on target that matter. And I know for a fact getting those results comes harder FOR MOST FOLKS as the platform gets smaller, especially with +P and +P+ factor ammo. Did you see that requirement?

I generally recommend the G19 as the best CCW, but that does not fit the OP's constraints.

Hits definitely matter. But if you can't hit with a P239 what you can with a P229, something is wrong.

Comfort also matters. I've seen many folks in my years of instruction that thought they wanted a hi-cap, double stack pistol shoved into their pants, but afterward wished they had reconsidered. Comfort means the gun is carried at all times. Not comfortable means they do not carry, which is the worst of all scenarios. .3" makes a huge difference.

A Milt Sparks Versa Max is a great holster. I find a cross-breed or M-Tac to be more comfortable, personally, but have a VM2 for 1911s that I love. It has the tuckable clips since I wear dress shirts quite often.

I agree with the G19 recommendation. Possibly the best choice for a single, do-everything pistol.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by smallfry
CZ 75 compact
Yep. CZ 75D PCR. It might be the best CCW pistol out there.
[Linked Image]

You might be right, Sam.. but you certainly aren't wrong. grin

I've never held any pistol that feels more natural or points quicker to where the eyes look than the CZ-75 family! Maybe the exception to that would be the 1873 Colt and it's copies but, only in a dead heat. smile I use CZ's for concealment, competition, and duty and never found them lacking.

Last edited by Joe; 07/27/16.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A handgun must first be COMFORTING...then comfortable.

Your choice in leather is what will make for comfort, well above your choice in handgun. I can carry a 42oz full sized pistol all day in a world class holster and not get worn out. Or I can have a cheap $50 holster with a 22oz pistol that does nothing but piss me off. It's the holster, not the gun that makes or breaks whether you're going to carry it or not.

For me COMFORTING means a full sized pistol, or at the very least, nothing smaller than a G19 sized pistol (G19 is full sized in my book). If something bad happens, I don't want that lingering doubt in the back of my mind as I'm reaching for some sub-compact pistol or revolver. The sub-compacts have always had less reliability, there's so much less to hold onto, and they're just harder to hit with. And when bullets start flying, no one in the history of gunfights has EVER wished they had a smaller, more comfortable handgun to carry.

Thin and light weight are VERY nice features, but they take a very distant back seat to; can you shoot the thing well?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Your choice in leather is what will make for comfort, well above your choice in handgun. I can carry a 42oz full sized pistol all day in a world class holster and not get worn out. Or I can have a cheap $50 holster with a 22oz pistol that does nothing but piss me off. It's the holster, not the gun that makes or breaks whether you're going to carry it or not.

For me COMFORTING means a full sized pistol, or at the very least, nothing smaller than a G19 sized pistol (G19 is full sized in my book). If something bad happens, I don't want that lingering doubt in the back of my mind as I'm reaching for some sub-compact pistol or revolver. The sub-compacts have always had less reliability, there's so much less to hold onto, and they're just harder to hit with. And when bullets start flying, no one in the history of gunfights has EVER wished they had a smaller, more comfortable handgun to carry.

Thin and light weight are VERY nice features, but they take a very distant back seat to; can you shoot the thing well?

The main thing is to know yourself. You might be able to carry a 42oz pistol concealed all day every day but I won't. I've tried it before and I know it will wind up in the car more often then not. I don't want to be armed with a Lorcin 25 cal in my pocket but there are plenty of guns suitable for SD without carrying a full size duty weapon.It's a lot better to have a gun in a gun fight than to have one out in your car.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Wise words, Kevin. I agree completely.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
While outside of your parameters, I'd go with a 1911 in 45ACP, possibly a compact version.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,020
Posts18,500,437
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.