Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When I worked in building maintenance we were always putting up white boards and shelving kits and whatever. We always swapped out the screws and bolts for better hardware. I took all of those "issue" pieces of hardware home. For most of the stuff I do around the house it's great. I've been out of that business for 10 years now and my supply is starting to get a little sparse. Maybe it's time to get back into that line of work.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank God the farm is literally right out of town.

We'd go broke buying gas for parts runs!

That said, of course we still have a few nuts and bolts and a bunch of other random old 'chit' in the 'shop'.

It's pretty crude and dirty, more rancher than farmer.

Couple cats sleep on top of the (small size)nuts and bolts bins. Gotta kick 'em off an old saddle blanket before you go to looking....

Tame and harmless barn spiders have taken over the ceiling above the cats. I think the same clan of 'em have been there since before I was born.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If I need, say 4 5/16 x 4" nuts and bolts I will have 4 bolt, 2 nuts and 7 lock washers. And I probably have 60 lbs. of loose nuts and bolts stored up.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have 1/4" thru 1/2" in lengths of 3/4" thru 2" with matching washers, locks, and nuts in a bin and find that takes care of most of my needs.

Takes a little cash to initially set up but doesn't cost much to maintain.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by RWE
Have you ever re-drilled and tapped something to a larger size simply because you had the larger bolt on hand?

Worse than that...

I was roading the big tractor and shredder the other day, and saw I was missing 2 bolts that retain the kingpins on 2 of my wheel assemblies... Of course I didn't have the right bolts 35 miles from the house.

I improvised.

Got it all lined up and dropped in 2 60d nails and bent them to retain the kingpins. smile

You know the type nails... The ones we use for control points. laugh

I haven't surveyed since 2003... and i still find 60D here and there around the house/shop...usually with a piece of flagging punched through.... LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i bought 10-12 5gal buckets full of misc hardware years ago. that my go to stash if i need something.i bet those buckets have been gone thru 100 time each.

I need a stash like that.

Time is money... be lots of time involved....

I bought some clear boxes at walmart some years ago, to sort down to at least diameter sizes out of cans/boxes/bags etc.. the boxes still sit there... and one can got dumped on the floor 2 years ago I bet and its still there. I have a hard time making time to put things away after I am in a rush to use em... its my wifes pet peeve...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I keep a few 5/16, 3/8, and 1/2" bolts (varying lengths)in my tool bag, each with about 6-8 washers, and a couple of nuts screwed on them. Do this, and you won't spend and extra 20 mins looking for the nut or washers that fit. At the cabin, I have an 18"x18" bin full of boxes of tek screws, 8/10/12 sheet metal screws, and more washers/nuts/bolts. Otherwise, I waste an hour having to go back into town to try and get something....

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If i need 2 I buy 6 and keep the extras in a big tackle box
loosely organized.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
loosely organized.

I like that phraseology!!!!!

laugh

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the same problem with holes. Never the right size or location.

I've assigned my kid to do a high school science project where he develops the "portable hole".

Like the ones that guy in the Jetsons had.

GOA
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If something is beyond repair........I remove all good fasteners and put them in "the bucket".

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I know a guy I once worked with. He did the monthly walking leak survey for the gas company in paved areas like downtown areas, malls, etc, where the gas lines were under paving and not under dirt or grass. So he walked with is gas sniffing machine and he picked up every nut, bolt, and screw he could find. He had buckets of them that he took home and sorted. He said he never ran to the store for a spare nut, bolt, or washer, or screw for that matter.

I've picked up lead weights for casting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i bought 10-12 5gal buckets full of misc hardware years ago. that my go to stash if i need something.i bet those buckets have been gone thru 100 time each.

Yes, but have you ever found what you needed? smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
If something is beyond repair........I remove all good fasteners and put them in "the bucket".

Then you get a thread gauge, 3 grandkids, and have a "nut party"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing is beyond repair unless it it burned to ashes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I need a stash like that.

Farm sales are a great place to stock up on such. Buy a couple of buckets full for a dollar or two and then you will have plenty to do in your spare time. grin

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

224 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 18 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.