Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gotcha, most of my FME experience was assisting in getting materials out of Afghanistan while based in Peshawar, Pakistan. When you were at Tonopah you probably saw a lot of it and air defense stuff "donated" by Israel. Did you perchance participate in any of the EWCAS exercises?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Did you perchance participate in any of the EWCAS exercises?

Several. I really enjoyed that type of work. I'd have to go back and look at about 18 years of logbooks but I suspect that I did north of 20 dets for that type of work plus at least a dozen Red Flags. As far as where it came from. Well, not the time or place. grin

The other stuff and places you mentioned is my post Navy life.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Cool Mike.

Did you get to see Pluto? One of our engineers worked on it there at NTS.

The large ring crane made it to Livermore from NTS to lift the chamber for NIF.

I built Xray diagnostics assemblies specifically to verify the efficiency and energies of the Nuke during detonation. I got to be at CP-1 for one test out of the dozen I worked on, lots of time at the blue building, old block housing and later the LLNL dorms, and once the REECO housing, WW11 barracks buildings. From 1981 fall to Greenwater, 1992.

I probably logged close to 200 flights on AMI, and many commercial flights to Vegas/ NLV facility to test fit our diagnostics packages before the can was shipped to the hole at NTS. Many hours cruising Buckboard Mesa, area 12 tunnels, Mine mountain, a few trips down to Climax mine. A lot of History on that place, and a lot of it required an old timer to know it existed ( or a REECO worker, they seem to know a lot of the history).

Allen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
BeanMan: As a child and teenager I lived quite close to a Nike Missile "defense site".
About every three years the brass at the sites would allow the folks living near the sites to tour, inspect and learn about the Nike Missiles.
I went on a few of those tours.
I actually touched some Nike Missiles down in their shallow silos.
The tours espoused the fact that these Nike Missiles were fast and would fly out and home in on approaching Russian bombers and fly into them before they could get to our cities and our military bases and air fields in the Puget Sound area.
Decades later LONG after the Nike Missiles became obsolete and were removed I learned that those Nike Missiles did not need to "strike" anything!
They were all equipped with small nuclear (atomic?) warheads and once within 5 to 8 miles of Russian bombers they would detonate (over my house?) and the shock wave would shatter the Russkies bombers!
I hope my tax dollars have been spent to protect us from attacks of this nature nowadays.
I don't know, but I have positioned myself to live out the rest of my life far from any defense facilities - that gives me some peace of mind.
Where I previously lived not only were there many military bases and Air Force facilities but also U.S, Navy nuclear submarine bases nearby!
I moved away from that missile magnet area and am quite content to live where I am, protected from nuclear blasts by 7 mountain ranges that surround me and I have a quasi-bomb shelter built right in to my home.
Again I hope we have some kind of ballistic missile protection system but don't know for sure.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It appears many of us have been involved in some kind of missile defense or ballistic missile program. I spent 18 months at a Nike site just outside of Anchorage in the 1970's. This place.

http://nikealaska.org/summit/SiteSUMMIT.html

http://www.nikesitesummit.net/

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
No system is going to stop them all. There isn't even a system that will stop all airplanes from getting through.

But it's better to stop all you can.

Agree on all counts.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Cool thread bump.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great thread.
The sinews behind it all, the stuff and the men that get it done and make it go, Absolutely too cool.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
hemiallen you were certainly there during exciting times and probably get a chuckle when people call SDI bogus. Pluto took place before my time but I spent a lot of time in Area 25 and the E-Mad and R-Mad facilities which were then operated by Westinghouse. I got to watch the operation of the remote handling equipment in E-Mad where the tools were manipulated w/ incredibly complex devices while viewed through 6' thick optical glass. The locomotive that transported the rocket engines were also based and maintained there.

I frequently was a liason w/ various military units at the NTS including the army parachute test team, Task Force 160 and other SOF units that share the anti-proliferation mission which was my primary focus. The Mighty Derringer FTX was partially based in A-25 and at the time was one of the largest multi-agency counter terror projects.

Good times were had by all, did you hear about the USAF General who took an unauthorized spin in a Mig and crashed it?

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Pugs, there were a lot of Vietnam era jet jocks and other warriors in those "other places" doing the lord's work and other stuffgrin.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.