Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Filson

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Someone needs to make a list of everything we're supposed to be boycotting.

Yep. a tough deal. If I had to avoid everyone that I have a difference of opinion with, there'd be few around I could even talk with. Agree to disagree and get on with life.

Have about 18 fly rods and got 1 more at my retirement event. A wonderful gift by the way as it was built by a coworker.
Now that's cool. If someone I knew had the talents to make something like that, I'd much rather have that gift.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by USMC2602
So, even though he's not an old, fat guy 😬 and damn skilled with a fly rod, I got an Orvis gift certificate. They sent it to me within 2 hours, I printed it off and will put it in a card for us to sign. I agree some of their items seem overpriced, but I think he'll appreciate it and will hopefully pick something up that he wouldn't have bought for himself otherwise.

He'll be very happy with that I'm sure. Orvis sales are pretty good and bring their stuff down to normal levels. It's also nice stuff. I wear an Orvis vest I bought more than 30 years ago, a little worn but likely more than 1000 days on the water I'm sure and still works great.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Your friend is lucky to have pals like you. You just can't go wrong with a gift certificate because then he can get precisely what he wants with it.

I'm very picky when it comes to fly fishing or hunting gear. I can't tell you how many times I've been in on buying a gift for someone where some people thought it was the greatest thing ever but that I hated or vice versa. When you gift a specific item you never really know how it will be received.. Gift certificates take that uncertainty out of the equation.

I personally like Orvis vests and some of their reels but hate their rods. Asking for opinions on Fly gear is sort of like asking for one's opinion on women. Some like blonds, some like brunettes, and others like red heads. It's all very personal. . .

Last edited by Dryfly24; 12/10/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
If you're interested in fly rods Sage would be a good place to start. G. Loomis, Hardy and Winston are good too. High end fly rods mostly run about $700-$800. That seems like a lot but how many of us have spent more than that on rifles? Reels are not as crucial unless you're fishing salt water.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bowmanh
If you're interested in fly rods Sage would be a good place to start. G. Loomis, Hardy and Winston are good too. High end fly rods mostly run about $700-$800. That seems like a lot but how many of us have spent more than that on rifles? Reels are not as crucial unless you're fishing salt water.

Price isn't the greatest factor in finding a fly rod that works for you. The number of great rods that are out there today are mind boggling. Get out and cast them and see. FWIW, I have a 4 weight Orvis Helios 2 that makes me a much better caster than I am. They're up in that $800 range but if you know what you want and don't mind not having the free warranty replacement if you break, then call the Orvis Outlet store in Manchester and they are available for around $500.

I have a 30 year old Sage 4 piece six weight that was $100 and still love it. I also have an old Powell 8 weight that's my heavy Salt Water rod and Salmon rod. A lot softer than more modern but it lays out the line well. I need to get up to Erie and fish Steelhead sometime.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Really do appreciate all the input. Like the local fly shop idea a lot, but he's leaving by year end and moving to New Jersey. Easy target for comments here, but I'll keep going.

We had already planned to get our group together with our spouses for dinner tomorrow night as our holiday gathering, so thought we'd better take the opportunity to also make it a going away recognition. Have ordered roses for his spouse, and want to be able to give him something from the 5 of us left in the group tomorrow night.

So, even though he's not an old, fat guy 😬 and damn skilled with a fly rod, I got an Orvis gift certificate. They sent it to me within 2 hours, I printed it off and will put it in a card for us to sign. I agree some of their items seem overpriced, but I think he'll appreciate it and will hopefully pick something up that he wouldn't have bought for himself otherwise.

He's a damn fine man and a good friend. Really happy for him, it's a hell of an opportunity, but we're sure going to miss him.

Plus Orvis has a local store in Leawood, on 119th and a couple stores in NJ.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
High end? Winston, Thomas & Thomas or Abel. Or better yet a gift certificate to The Fly Shop.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Holy Crap! I just throw it out there and hope they bite.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Holy Crap! I just throw it out there and hope they bite.

I heard you were quite the ladies man. wink grin

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.