-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Reaching back into the vault to update a design long on hiatus, Colt announced Thursday that a redesigned version of the Combat Commander is making a comeback.

The new Combat Commander–available in both 9mm and .45ACP (sorry guys, no .38 Super) is an all carbon blued steel 1911 that clocks in at .75-inches shorter than the standard longslide and comes in from the cold with the addition of a dual-spring recoil system, wide-angled cocking serrations, and Novak LoMounts.

Bringing the pistol in line with their current Lightweight Commander and Competition series, Colt has upgraded the rebooted pistol with new ergos.

“The new Combat Commander features an upswept beavertail grip safety and undercut trigger guard to allow users to get good purchase on the grip, and our great Colt G10 grips,” said Justin Baldini, Colt’s product director, in a statement.

In the way of a brief history lesson, the Commander was introduced in 9mm for an Army pistol contract in 1949 aimed at providing a more effective replacement to the .32 ACP Model 1903 “General Officer’s Pistol.” It soon became popular on the civilian market and in 1971 a steel-framed (to differentiate it from the Lightweight Commander) Combat Commander went into production. That 70 Series Colt remained in the stable until 1980 and, after a brief hiatus, was replaced by the 80 Series variant that remained in production in one form or another until 1998 but has sadly been missing from the lineup since then.

Now, to borrow a phrase from John Wick, it looks like the Combat Commander is back, at an MSRP of $949– slightly less than the Lightweight Commander.

As such, it joins the latest edition of the Colt Cobra and a new railgun model of the Delta Elite, announced last week.

http://www.guns.com/2017/01/13/colt-brings-back-the-combat-commander-1911-for-2017/

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Will be interesting to see what the pistol feels like with the ergo adjustment, I cant imagine anything feeling better in hand than the standard 1911.

That's why i can't leave 1911's alone, lower capacity and a few malfunctions along the way, they're like pointing a finger to me.

Trump Won!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
That's kind of exciting. The list of possibilities gets bigger.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
T pistol I carry most often, is a worked over Series 70 Combat Commander.

Sam......

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
There's no flies on any form of a Government Model. But if Colt wants to make some money they need to produce smaller, powerful handguns that can be accurately shot and easily concealed.

I think Colt could reintroduce the Mustang with a slightly longer barrel, chambered in 9mm and sell truck loads of them.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hate to be the contrarian but that thing has about as much appeal as Rosie O'Donnell in a thong. I'd buy an 04691 but not that slant-serrated monstrosity.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks a lot like an XS model, though the dual recoil spring system is a new twist, previously used only on .40's and 10mm's

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
There's no flies on any form of a Government Model. But if Colt wants to make some money they need to produce smaller, powerful handguns that can be accurately shot and easily concealed.

I agree. It think it's great that Colt is doing the nostalgia thing right now, and I hope it is successful. But, the firearms market is pretty saturated now, especially with the Trump victory, and it seems to me that the way to financial security is to come up with the "next big thing" or something people will use every day rather than appealing to people who remember the old days and want to have big, heavy guns that don't hold much ammo. I could be wrong, though.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Looks a lot like an XS model, though the dual recoil spring system is a new twist, previously used only on .40's and 10mm's

A 1911 10mm still haunts me Tex, I gotta get one. cry

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always been a fan of the Lwt. Commander. If in all steel I'll take the Government Model.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Dual springs are on the rail gun and competition series. I notice very little difference between the felt recoil with dual springs and regular springs.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MOGC
I've always been a fan of the Lwt. Commander. If in all steel I'll take the Government Model.

Exactly right. Why carry a steel-framed Commander if a lighter Commander is available. This gun never made sense to me.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Nice gun...

I'm one of those who would rather shoot a Commander or Combat Commander over a Government length gun...mainly they just balance better for me and faster from the holster.

Easy enough to drop a .38 Super barrel in the 9mm to have a two caliber gun...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
So my DETONICS will still be in fashion?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RJM
Nice gun...

I'm one of those who would rather shoot a Commander or Combat Commander over a Government length gun...mainly they just balance better for me and faster from the holster.

Easy enough to drop a .38 Super barrel in the 9mm to have a two caliber gun...

Bob

I agree, and my Combat Commander is a favorite.

[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.