-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The scope is okay and still correct for the style, it just needs extra-extra high rings. wink

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike
...I asked Jeff Sipe at MRC about a lighter contour barrel, and he said they make one, but when I tried to get the specs from either of the two sales managers he put me in touch with, things skidded to a halt. Over the years I've found that once you get below Jeff things just bog down.

RM

That is an unfortunate fact. I really want to like MRC and mostly like my two 1999's, but their company seems to be filled with incompetents (as opposed to incompetence which it also unfortunately displays occasionally).

C
Cigar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
welcome..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is how a rifle is supposed to look...which is why I have 3; A Christoph Funk in 8 X 60, J.P. Sauer & Sohn in 9 X 57 and one by Johann Peterlongo in 9 X 71 Peterlongo. That fella surely does very nice work. If I didn't already have the real things it would be very, very tempting to spring for a Mod. 77 and have one done.

If a scope is needed because of vision then I don't know that a fella has much choice. Sure would look better with a svelte Zeiss, Schmitt & Bender with a #4 reticle...but that's a matter of taste and there's no accounting for taste.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bringing this to the top. Got an email from Roger on Thursday that he is ready to start work on my rifle, so we had a good long talk Friday morning to finalize the details. He will take a stock LH Ruger 77 Hawkeye and reshape it to a classic pre-war German Sporter style as shown in Skeen's pictures. I'm going to splurge a little and will be getting his "vintage finish" and "faux rust blue" bluing, which is really needed since the Ruger I got has the matte finish they put on for a couple of years and it mars so easily.

Interesting side note about how sometimes it really does seem like someone is watching over you. I went through several iterations of stocks and rifles trying to decide which one to use for this project but none of the stocks were suitable. He lowers the nose of the comb but you have to start with some drop to the heel as well and everything had straight, high combs. After about giving up, I was perusing the classifieds here and found an ad which I'd missed before and it was the perfect candidate, a LH Hawkeye .30-06 with a decent piece of factory wood - and it had an NECG Masterpiece banded ramp front sight already installed. The price was right so after a quick email conversation with the seller it was mine. grin

I've taken some before pics and will post those when the project is done. According to Roger turnaround is about 4 weeks after he receives the rifle (but don't quote him) so I'll post the before and after pics when it gets back.

Teaser before. The rear sight is an NECG ghost ring to go with the front sight. It works very well and should blend in nicely with the overall pre-war sporter look.

[Linked Image]

After taking the fence post pics I realized they showed the lesser side of the stock, so here's an indoor pic of the wood on the right side. Nothing fancy but it'll do - this indoor pic does not do it justice since the sun really brings out the color and grain. In another "someone's looking out for me" aspect, that recoil pad puts LOP at just over 14", but when it was installed the stock was not shortened. Ruger sent me a brand new red pad for free so all that has to be done is replace this with the factory red pad to restore LOP to 13.5" which is exactly what I want. wink

[Linked Image]

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by skeen
Jim, it's a standard contour barrel. If the barrels look different in the pics, it's just camera angle or lighting. And, of course, no one has ever mistaken me for a professional photographer. grin

Cigar, thanks for turning us on to RJ. I don't know when I'll be able to make it to the range. I envy guys who can just go out and shoot out their back door. It's a little bit of a production and drive for me.

I spoke with RJ, again, last night, to get in "line" to have that 30-06 M77RS turned into a Faux Rigby.

Though some may disagree with this decision, I went ahead and removed the Williams peep-sight and mounted a gloss Leupold FX-3. I like it. The Redfield rings are casehardened too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Whilst not enamoured with side panels I really do like the stocked rifle, very neat and very desirable.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The scope is okay and still correct for the style, it just needs extra-extra high rings. wink

[Linked Image]

Sorry Jim, as nice as that is I would prefer the worked Ruger.

(and I had to grit my teeth to get that out).

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't worry, no offense taken as that is not my rifle, just a picture I grabbed off of the internet to show the old style with a scope.

Funny you mention the side panels, I was going to have them left off when the Ruger was reworked since I had this idea they would be annoying under my hand. But apparently the stock is thinned so much they actually do add (or leave in) some strength through the action area, plus the way Roger does them they are only about 1/16th" or .06" high so they shouldn't be obtrusive.

C
Cigar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by skeen
Jim, it's a standard contour barrel. If the barrels look different in the pics, it's just camera angle or lighting. And, of course, no one has ever mistaken me for a professional photographer. grin

Cigar, thanks for turning us on to RJ. I don't know when I'll be able to make it to the range. I envy guys who can just go out and shoot out their back door. It's a little bit of a production and drive for me.

I spoke with RJ, again, last night, to get in "line" to have that 30-06 M77RS turned into a Faux Rigby.

Though some may disagree with this decision, I went ahead and removed the Williams peep-sight and mounted a gloss Leupold FX-3. I like it. The Redfield rings are casehardened too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Well how did it do on paper ?? I got to know...

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm sorry. I like most of the before guns.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by peeshooter
Would it be a sin to put a scope on a rifle like this?
Be alright just so long as you don't value any kind of cheek weld and have a neck like a goose. That lowered comb is meant for use with iron sights.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.