24hourcampfire.com
-->
Print Thread
Hop To
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody got buyers remorse yet? I got a little fun money burning a hole.....

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No buyer's remorse at all. I'm extremely pleased with mine, which are 8x42. I've now used them quite a bit and they have yet to let me down. I really wish they had a 8x32 model in addition for something a little smaller,but that's it. These are really good in the dim, gloomy, stormy flat light conditions.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have no remorse (but I didn't pay full price for them) they both look great. If I was to pick just one it would be the Promaster but the Hawke is still good.

But if you have the most Orion catalog you'll see the Orion ULX ED 8x42 that looks very similar to the Hawke and Promaster (down to the specs and enclosure). For $270.

Yeah, WTF wink

Of course they're due 10 days before Christmas so no one has looked through them yet. So we wait with baited breath.

See Birdforum's "Looks familiar" thread for more comments.

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=126840

I suspect these bins are all coming out of Bosma in Ghuangzhou.

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hmm. I see that...... Was close to pulling the string on some ProMaster's. Still might and risk it.....

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just to throw another one into the mix - anybody check out Zen-Ray Optics??? Pretty nice for the price and they have some stuff coming out that might be interesting.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Zen-Ray have an interesting business model (buy a batch and sell direct until you run out).

They got good reviews with their last model but from their web sit they still don't have real pictures of the 2009 model and from the specs it doesn't look like it's going to have ED glass which I think may put them at a disadvantage this time around as the others start to appear.

In fact I've found that I'm getting satiated on bins now I have the Promaster and Hawke. I can see getting a decent (i.e. ED and as good as the Promaster and Hawke) 32mm bin to fill a gap. But with the Pentax WP that works rather well for me (it could be lighter and a bit more contrasty).

What I really want is a good, light, not expensive compact bin with a >= 4mm exit pupil e.g 6x25 or 7x28. That's an untouched market right now.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
just saw on another forum. It seems zen-ray is coming out with its ED version as well. It will be interesting. I am curious how the new ZEN will compare against its less expensive ZRS model (without ED).

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by KevinPurcell
But if you have the most Orion catalog you'll see the Orion ULX ED 8x42 that looks very similar to the Hawke and Promaster (down to the specs and enclosure). For $270.

Yeah, WTF wink

Of course they're due 10 days before Christmas so no one has looked through them yet. So we wait with baited breath.

It seems it never came out before Christmas. Maybe a vaporware from Orion?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah, I saw that too. Looks like a triplet for the Hawke/Promaster.

Zen-Ray sounds like either an alien space weapon or a high intensity tanning parlor that has bypassed some licensing steps. The Chinese may be getting better optics, but I can't say as much for their naming process.

I'll buy one from an American company selling through a good american based dealer, but not direct from a Chinese supplier.

Steve

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The way I read it, it is an American company based in Oregon, just like all others. I guess they probably OEM theirm binoculars from the same factory as Promaster and HAWKE.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think its a Chinese company located in Oregon, but I sure as heck have been wrong before. When all else fails, ask. I just e-mailed a query.

Last edited by SteveC99; 01/02/09.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Orion website said the ED bino wasn't due until May 09 as of the other day.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I posted on the Zen Ray ED over a birdforum.

Comparing all the bits it looks like a duplicate of the Hawke: pretty much everything matches. Slightly cheaper.

As Ward says the Orion bins have been put off until May (finance issues perhaps?) though they were priced alot cheaper.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I just quickly looked at Orion's website. I don't see that binoculars they have been advertising any more. Maybe I am not looking at the right location? Do you mean Orion might be financially in trouble, like Meade?

Last edited by Hawker; 01/03/09.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Hawker
I just quickly looked at Orion's website. I don't see that binoculars they have been advertising any more. Maybe I am not looking at the right location? Do you mean Orion might be financially in trouble, like Meade?

Mine is just speculation from the slipped date. I guess it gets worse!

The product Orion ULX ED

http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=binocular_standard/~pcategory=binoculars/~product_id=09256

and is now marked as "This item is discontinued and is no longer available for pre-order"

Might want to strike that one from the list. Shame it was a good price.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by KevinPurcell
What I really want is a good, light, not expensive compact bin with a >= 4mm exit pupil e.g 6x25 or 7x28. That's an untouched market right now.

Well, it isn't inexpensive but you will have a bin that matches these specs shortly.

wink

smile

Frank
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hawker,

You are apparently correct. Here is the Zen-Ray reply I just got.

Steve,

Thanks for your inquiry. No, I can totally understand your curiosity.

Our company is an American company based in Oregon that does not have any affiliation with Chinese industry. Like several other companies you named, we source our products from the OEM factories in China and a few other countries per our spec. We only chose the products that offer the best quality/price ratio. We also are active sponsor that support several local hunting communities in the Northwest US.

Steve

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I must admit that it is nice to see a company that actually responds to emails on a fairly consistant, and prompt, basis. I don't even want to mention the number of times I have sent emails to a few companies and never received a response.

Frank

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,011
Posts18,500,243
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.